• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Santiago at fiesta time

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Time of past OR future Camino
Starting May 2023 from St Jean Pied de Port
Ok, so I'm setting off from St Jean Pied de Port on 27th May. I have a route planning app and my first attempt at a plan came out at 65 days (I'm not in a rush). I then reduced this down to 63 days. Then I realised that if I reduced my number of days to 59, I could arrive in Santiago on 24th July in time for the fiesta.
So my question is can I just walk into Santiago on 24th July and expect to find a bed? Should I book somewhere? Any recommendations?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After Jesus found us a place to sleep in Santiago the first time (no lie here, it was one of those Camino things) in an apartment on Muralla I think, we concluded to always call a few days ahead for Santiago. Even when it's not the Saint's day festival. There is also Hotel San Roque I think it's called, by the fuente San Roque. Not bargain basement cheap but in the middle of things and the lady is very sweet. So that's a couple you can consider, also there is a large list at Gronze.com. HTH!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Molly, may the road rise to meet you! On the first camino I walked, we only booked our Santiago accommodation. All the rest was pot luck. Times have changed somewhat, but I think you would do well to book something. On that first trip, we booked for three nights in a private albergue, something to do with stars, - Acuario - near the bus station. It was a bit out of town, maybe 15 minutes walk. The second time we went to the Last Stamp. It suited us very well. It was new, well located, and reasonably priced. A good kitchen, with plenty of tables, so easy to organise a shared meal with some pilgrims we had walked with. so, your choice, but I would not risk not booking.

Molly, may the road rise to meet you! On the first camino I walked, we only booked our Santiago accommodation. All the rest was pot luck. Times have changed somewhat, but I think you would do well to book something. On that first trip, we booked for three nights in a private albergue, something to do with stars, - Acuario - near the bus station. It was a bit out of town, maybe 15 minutes walk. The second time we went to the Last Stamp. It suited us very well. It was new, well located, and reasonably priced. A good kitchen, with plenty of tables, so easy to organise a shared meal with some pilgrims we had walked with. so, your choice, but I would not risk not booking.
Thank you. That's really what I wanted to know.
And thanks for all the recommendations. I will have a look and think about how long I want to stay.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
checked that place out. It does look nice but they don't have any availability for my dates.
Sorry.
Yes, I´ve heared that around the St. James day they are quiet occupied, mainly by spanish groups. But I´m surprised that it happens already nearly a half year ahead.

Buen camino.
¡Ultreia!

I’ve already been looking for 2021 and have called the Parador and San Martin and they say they are not taking reservations over the Holy Days as they are booked.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I also checked this site and they are pretty booked up, which means the Hospederia must be a great place to stay! Thanks for the suggestion. :)
It is a great place to stay. It is getting so crowded that in December I called them on about December 5 for a December 10 arrival and all the pilgrim rooms were booked!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back