• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in St. Jean before April 1.

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
I'm arriving in Madrid the morning of March 28th then head on up to Pamploma. I understand that the Napoleon Route will be closed until April 1 but the lower route should be open. My question is although I don't plan on making reservations once I start I would like to make one in St Jean the first night. When should I make that reservation? Typically can I cancel in case the weather is too harsh to get to St. Jean and I need to start in Pamploma?

Thanks in advance

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm arriving in Madrid the morning of March 28th then head on up to Pamploma. I understand that the Napoleon Route will be closed until April 1 but the lower route should be open. My question is although I don't plan on making reservations once I start I would like to make one in St Jean the first night. When should I make that reservation? Typically can I cancel in case the weather is too harsh to get to St. Jean and I need to start in Pamploma?

Thanks in advance
The Valcarlos route will be open. There might still be snow though but apparently it is doable if you keep on the road. (I haven’t walked it myself but this is what I heard from trustworthy sources 🙂)
I’d make a reservation in SJPP and tell them you’ll confirm nearer the date depending on the weather conditions and would that be acceptable to them?

Hi @EL LECHERO

I've walked both the Napoleon and Valcaros routes - and enjoyed both very much. It was also on 1 April that I walked the Valcaros Route as the Napolean was closed due to snow and poor visibility

Something I didn't quite understand - You mention booking your first night in SJPP? But not sure that you will be able to get there due to conditions. Are you planning to walk back from Pamplona to SJPP to start from there? If you are taking transport - e.g. bus - from Pamplona to SJPP, I don't think the weather will impact your travels? But I haven't done that bus journey so maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @EL LECHERO

I've walked both the Napoleon and Valcaros routes - and enjoyed both very much. It was also on 1 April that I walked the Valcaros Route as the Napolean was closed due to snow and poor visibility

Something I didn't quite understand - You mention booking your first night in SJPP? But not sure that you will be able to get there due to conditions. Are you planning to walk back from Pamplona to SJPP to start from there? If you are taking transport - e.g. bus - from Pamplona to SJPP, I don't think the weather will impact your travels? But I haven't done that bus journey so maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, buen camino.
Thanks for getting back to me. I am unfamiliar with the road conditions across the Pyrenees. I'm form Washington State where the passes are brutal in winter time. So it seems that the Valcaros Route will be most definitely open at the end of March and getting to SJ will be no problem. I was just hate if both routes would be closed then I'd have to taxi back to Pamploma............btw any Pension/Hostel reccomendations?

Thanks for getting back to me. I am unfamiliar with the road conditions across the Pyrenees. I'm form Washington State where the passes are brutal in winter time. So it seems that the Valcaros Route will be most definitely open at the end of March and getting to SJ will be no problem. I was just hate if both routes would be closed then I'd have to taxi back to Pamploma............btw any Pension/Hostel reccomendations?
Ok, I understand. As far as I know, the bus would usually run from Pamplona to SJPP in late March - others may chime in if that's not the case.

Regarding pensions / albergues/ hostels etc in SJPP - there are many to choose from and a lot of them are listed on the well known booking site - even beds in share dormitories - and with free cancellation up to a point, so that might be worth looking at. Or you can google and find many have their own websites or contact details to get in touch directly. SJPP is a small town so as long as you are 'in town' the location will be fine for starting your Camino. If you go to the pilgrims' office after you arrive they will have up to date information on weather conditions.

How exciting for you. Enjoy!

PS regarding the bus from Pamplona - if it is running, it will likely be just once or twice a day - so would be good to check that out - and how it fits in with your arrival from Madrid. You may need to spend some hours or overnight in Pamplona - but that's no hardship.

I also know that some people have shared taxis from Pamplona to SJPP, sometimes arranging in advance via this forum.

The Valcarlos Route is essential a paved two lane French Departmental Road (the D933) and a Spanish National Route (the N135), it does close from time to time when the snow removal crews can't keep up with a heavy snow fall. If a meter or more of snow falls in short period of time, the road is closed to all vehicular traffic. It would be as irrepsonsible to walk this route as it would be to walk the Napoleon under the same weather conditions.

I have walked the Frances starting in early-mid April in 2015 and 2017. I have taken both the bus and train from Madrid to Pamplona, arriving in early afternoon. In April there were no buses running from Pamplona to SJPdP either time (not sure if one was offered in the morning). We used a private shuttle once, and a taxi service in 2017 which we arranged ahead of time online. The cost was €100, but split 4-ways was very affordable. We chose not to overnight in Pamplona as we had already planned to spend the night there when walking through the city a few days later.

The Valcarlos route will be open. There might still be snow though but apparently it is doable if you keep on the road. (I haven’t walked it myself but this is what I heard from trustworthy sources 🙂)
I have, in early March. There was a bit of snow but it was a pleasant diversion. I did not have to walk on the road, except from the chapel down to Roncesvalles.

But mountain weather is capricious. So book in SJPP, with the possibility of cancelling a week or so out if the forecast is really rotten. Or just jeep the booking. If I were starting in SJPP and the weather was bad, I'd just go as far as Valcarlos - it will be raining down there - taking on the pass the next day when hopefully it will have cleared. Even if not you can always walk on the road. The pass is not exposed in the same way the Napoleon route is; it's pretty tame.

The Valcarlos Route is essential a paved two lane French Departmental Road (the D933) and a Spanish National Route (the N135), it does close from time to time when the snow removal crews can't keep up with a heavy snow fall. If a meter or more of snow falls in short period of time, the road is closed to all vehicular traffic. It would be as irrepsonsible to walk this route as it would be to walk the Napoleon under the same weather conditions.
Great Info.....What is your impression of the Valcarolos route as far as scenery and beauty. I can only walk 15 days. So Maybe I should start somewhere else......suggestions opinions?

Maison Bidegain Berria is a very nice B&B in Isopure, a small village adjacent to SJPP ( and an easy walk). The hosts are a charming couple. Breakfast is provided, and for a small fee, if you want, they will also provide a wonderful home cooked dinner.It can be reserved on Booking.com but may require a two night stay. We stayed there in 2017 and were very pleased.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will chime in to say I have loved the Valcarlos route...twice, in fact! A nice variety of landscapes, views, horses, creeks, hills, and a few places along the way for coffee, lunch or dinner. We stay in the cute town of Valcarlos overnight before the final push to Roncesvalles.

Great Info.....What is your impression of the Valcarolos route as far as scenery and beauty. I can only walk 15 days. So Maybe I should start somewhere else......suggestions opinions?
That's tough one to answer.
There are several small Basque village on the way between Saint Jean and Roncevalles, the rest of the walk to Pamplona is pleasant and in 12+ days from SJPdP you could probably get as far as Burgos.
Alternatively, in 15+ days a start in Pamplona would be get close to Leon.
Another alternative would be to take the train from Madrid to either Burgos or Leon, from Burgos in 12+ days you will be able to walk the Meseta and might get as far as Ponferrada with a walk over the highest mountain route passing the Cruz de Ferro.
From Leon in 13+ days you could probably reach Santiago and walk through the mountains of Galicia.
There are a lot of options including walking the Camino Madrid to Sahagun and beyond.

That's tough one to answer.
There are several small Basque village on the way between Saint Jean and Roncevalles, the rest of the walk to Pamplona is pleasant and in 12+ days from SJPdP you could probably get as far as Burgos.
Alternatively, in 15+ days a start in Pamplona would be get close to Leon.
Another alternative would be to take the train from Madrid to either Burgos or Leon, from Burgos in 12+ days you will be able to walk the Meseta and might get as far as Ponferrada with a walk over the highest mountain route passing the Cruz de Ferro.
From Leon in 13+ days you could probably reach Santiago and walk through the mountains of Galicia.
There are a lot of options including walking the Camino Madrid to Sahagun and beyond.
Thanks so much. I did walk from Astorga to SDC in 10 days....and in retrospect should have slowed down. Walking from 7am to 5pm most everyday, all I wanted to do was eat, take a shower, and sleep. This time I want to slow down and only walk until 1pm or so. I guess what I am questioning is if it is snowing at the time of my walk and the Valcarlos is route is open, is it worth it to walk the road or would my time be better spent walking from Pamplona....nice to just bounce ideas off others who have walked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks so much. I did walk from Astorga to SDC in 10 days....and in retrospect should have slowed down. Walking from 7am to 5pm most everyday, all I wanted to do was eat, take a shower, and sleep. This time I want to slow down and only walk until 1pm or so. I guess what I am questioning is if it is snowing at the time of my walk and the Valcarlos is route is open, is it worth it to walk the road or would my time be better spent walking from Pamplona....nice to just bounce ideas off others who have walked.
I would walk from Pamplona.

What is your impression of the Valcarolos route as far as scenery and beauty. I can only walk 15 days. So Maybe I should start somewhere else......suggestions opinions?
I have a different view than Don - not suggesting categorically ruling SJPP out as a starting point. It's really beautiful via Valcarlos. Even on the road.

But it depends on how hard it's snowing. Because for most of the way you'd be in rain or sleet, on "one of those days.' I had gorgeous weather; if it were hosing in SJPP? Yeah - start in Pamplona or Roncesvalles.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found the Valcarlos route to be the less attractive walk of the two choices, as I remember, because there are tall woods on both sides of the trail for most of the way up the mountain and you don’t get the same expansive views of the mountains and valleys as you do on the Napoleon Route, and the trail on the Valcarlos Route is right next to the road, which can be very busy, while the Napoleon Route usually has very little traffic when the trail is near the road.
Considering the uncertainties of weather, jetlag, getting to St. Jean, and a physically challenging first day of walking, I think your time is better spent spending two days in Pamplona and starting your walk from there. Include the walk over the Pyrenees in your next Camino in a warmer and drier month.

Thanks in advance
In 2015
i stayed at the Errecaldia B&B which is located dight at Port St Jacque( the start of the Camino Frances). It was a great place to stay before starting my Camino.

Considering the uncertainties of weather, jetlag, getting to St. Jean, and a physically challenging first day of walking, I think your time is better spent spending two days in Pamplona and starting your walk from there. Include the walk over the Pyrenees in your next Camino in a warmer and drier month.
Good point. Yes, with fewer days to walk, starting in Pamplona will get him farther along, and hopefully a tad of better weather by eliminating the Pyrenees.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good point. Yes, with fewer days to walk, starting in Pamplona will get him farther along, and hopefully a tad of better weather by eliminating the Pyrenees.
Decisions, Decisions! I know I will come back again but I would hate to have missed a great part of the Camino. It would be easier to start walking in Pamplona for sure and I would get to experience some of the Meseta.......

Decisions, Decisions! I know I will come back again but I would hate to have missed a great part of the Camino. It would be easier to start walking in Pamplona for sure and I would get to experience some of the Meseta.......
There's always going to be something that you miss. Don't let FOMO get to you!

I didn’t realise your time was limited. I understand the feeling of maybe missing out but as @trecile says, don’t let that get in the way of your decision making. I think the Pamplona start is a great option for you and maximises your walking time as you won’t have to backtrack to SJPP. So much to love about the landscape, towns and villages between Pamplona and Burgos and then the magical Meseta. 😎

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have only 15 days to walk in why waste one of them trying to get to a small provincial French town at the bottom of a hill?
Starting in Pamplona is a good option. On the other hand @EL LECHERO if a SJPP start is still in your mind, I would not be put off by this statement.

If you decide you'd like to start in SJPP - you may enjoy and appreciate the the town and those first few days of walking from there to Pamplona - as do many people.

Valcarlos route will be open but there is always the possibility that snow may force you to walk the main road to Roncesvalles. My son had to do that in early March 2012 and found it extremely tough to the point he was ready to give up on his first day. He phoned me in great distress. We had to phone from Ireland to Ronvesvalles and the hospitalera drove down to find him and bring him up to the albergue. He was and is a young fit man but found it very tough. He did, BTW, gather himself together and walked all the way from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 30 days. So just be aware, just because it is open does not mean it is a lot easier than Napolean and in bad weather it can be just as tough

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Beilari - place to stay 1st night in St. Jean Pied de Port

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back