• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

arriving late at hendaye lodging/camping

andras87

Hello everyone!

I'm doing my first camino this summer, already got the tickets, but I will be arriving at Hendaye quite late (around 21:30). Do you have any tips about the lodging for the first night?
I'm also thinking of walking the way with a tent, wild camping or camping at albergues. Would that help on the first night?
Also, I know that one can get a pilgrims passport anywhere along the way, but maybe someones knows a place in Hendaye? :)

Thanks in advance.
Andras

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stay in an hotel in Hendaye. Can't give you the name of it, as I was taken there by some French Pilgrims and got the idea that it was the convenient spot for pilgrims on their way home. Coming out of the station cross the road and trun right, then take the first left hand road. It goes uphill for about 40 metres or so where another road intersects from the right. The hotel (and another one too if I remember correctly) is on the far side / top side of that intersecting road - very convenient and only about 100 - 150 metres from the station. It has a resaurant at the front of it. Sorry that I can't give you the name, but both times I have used it I have arrived on the train from Santiago de Compostela and, from memory,that is about the time you are thinking you will arrive, maybe even a bit later. I just ring the bell, and have got a bed each night. regards, Janet

Search this Forum for other threads on camping. They will touch on carrying the weight of the tent and sleeping mat, the abundance and cost of albergues, legality, reception along the way for showers and bathrooms, campsites, etc. Devotees love doing it; skeptics will point out the downside! I read an article on a high wildfire danger in Spain this year, so outdoor fires may be officially unwelcome.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you both for the advices. Never really used to write on forums, but this community seems actually very helpful and supportive:)
As for the camping I already went throught almost every post here:)

Hi Andras,

I took a tent with me when i walked the Norte from Santander, I used it 3 times, 2 at campsites and once outside an albergue(Soto de Luina). I reckon there is the possibility of pitching outside a few hostels, if the hospitaleros agree,Santillana del Mar, San Vincente de la Barquera, Serdio, San Esteban, La Isla, Sebrayo, Camping Deva, Soto de Luina, Cadavedo, Pinera, Tapia, Ribadeo,Gondan, Vilanova de Lourenza,Baamonde, Miraz, Sobrado. I have picked these because they have grass areas outside of them usually part of the hostel, i have a feeling some may, some may not, Sobrado will, they did for a few people with dogs when i was there, and possibly La Isla.There is a few i am not sure about, i didnt see them, Luarca, Tol, Pineres, Boo, Polanco, Cobreces, Comillas, La Caridad, Mondonedo, so there could be more possibilities.

As to camping(or sleeping) wild i suggest you meet some young Spanish people, i met a lot of people who did sleep wild on the Norte, all young Spanish. Walking the Norte can be a bit of an adventure, a lot of the Spanish treat it as such.

Buen Camino

Mike

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back