• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving late in Biarritz from Dublin Mon 27th May '13

Margaret A

Time of past OR future Camino
May June (2013) May June (2014) June (2015) Sept Oct (2016)
Hello everyone,

We're a couple, late 50's, 60, (nervously) preparing to attempt our first Camino. We arrive in Biarritz from Dublin on Monday, 27th May at 21.10 and wonder what is the best way to get to St. Jean at that hour on a Monday night. Taxi??
And I'm sure we should pre-book accommodation in St. Jean - I'm beginning to worry about arriving so late, do most albergues close at 10pm? Any and all suggestions welcome.
We intend to spend Tues in St. Jean and start walking on Wed. 29th

Thanks.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
bryans said:
I Would stay in Biarritz and then go to SJean the next day.
A relaxed start is hard to beat.

Thanks Bryans - I think we will do that.

Buen Camino,
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Margaret A,

The Biarritz airport is located between the cities of Biarritz (west of airport) and Bayonne (east of airport). Biarritz can be expensive. Why not take the bus from the airport to Bayonne and spend the night in a small hotel such at the Monte Carlo. Here is their web >> http://hotel-montecarlo.allcommerces.com/. Next morning you can easily catch an early TER line 62 train to SJPdP. Here is that schedule until July 6, 2013 (on the second screen) >> http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Imag ... -42307.pdf. You can buy the ticket at the station; price is roughly 10 euros; no reservation needed since open seating.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you so much Margaret for all those details. We will go ahead and book the Hotel Monte Carlo and arrive fresh in St. Jean on the 28th!

Buen Camino,
Margaret

I don't want to be the one to give you this bit of news but I thought you might want to know that you arrive well after the bus service from the Biarritz Airport to Bayonne shuts down for the day, so you will probably have to hire a taxi to get to Bayonne. Taxis are expensive here, so I would suggest contacting your hotel and see if they can arrange some means transportation for you, otherwise you might want to consider one of the "budget" hotels near the airport. Better you know now than when you are standing outside the terminal looking for the bus. buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Margaret A said:
Thank you so much Margaret for all those details. We will go ahead and book the Hotel Monte Carlo and arrive fresh in St. Jean on the 28th!

Buen Camino,
Margaret
biarritzdon said:
I don't want to be the one to give you this bit of news but I thought you might want to know that you arrive well after the bus service from the Biarritz Airport to Bayonne shuts down for the day, so you will probably have to hire a taxi to get to Bayonne. Taxis are expensive here, so I would suggest contacting your hotel and see if they can arrange some means transportation for you, otherwise you might want to consider one of the "budget" hotels near the airport. Better you know now than when you are standing outside the terminal looking for the bus. buen camino!

I am sorry but I did not check the Chronoplus bus timetable before advising you ! Indeed as biarritzdon notes the last bus from Biarritz Anglet airport for the Bayonne Gare on Monday 27 May leaves before you arrive. The bus goes at 20:00. You can find that timetable here >> http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/location ... ccess.html
It seems that now you will need to take a taxi either to Biarritz or Bayonne.

MM

Thanks Margaret and everyone - public transport is a bit of an issue everywhere it seems. But we've just now booked ourselves into the Mirano for the night of the 27th, so hopefully that will work out fine. It seems to me likely that we will need to get a taxi to there from the airport but hope we can get a bus or walk to the train station the following morning.

And we finally decided on and bought our rucksacks today - it feels like we're on our way!

Buen Camino,
Margaret

Remember to carry as little as you can. Think about walking poles. We have used them on the camino and found them invaluable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Bryans,
Thanks, I've just bought a pair of walking poles this morning in lidl. Now must practice walking with them. Of course now that I think we have our arrival sorted I'm worrying about the return journey to the airport - I didn't realise when I booked our flight for monday 10th that transport to the airport might be a problem on Sundays/Monday. More research needed :(
Buen Camino,
Margaret

If there is anything specific we can help with you can pm me.We have walked from SJean to Logrono and from Sarria to Santiago and will walk from Logrono to Leon in September. We travel out of Dublin.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.