• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving Late in Pamplona

trundle

My best itinerary so far gets me into Pamplona at 8PM on a Monday. With the bus to Roncesvalles leaving 22 hours later, I would like to stay the night in Pamplona and leave early the next morning for SJPP. Is taxi my only option ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you walk in the months 1 July to end of August, there is a 10am bus to Roncesvalles from Pamplona. You can take a taxi from there to St Jean for about 30€

You could also take a taxi to Roncesvalles (Pamplona - Roncesvalles € 42.00) and then hitch a ride to St Jean Pied de Port.

If not, this is what the taxi fares from Pamplona to St Jean cost.
Weekdays: Pamplona - Saint Jean de Pied de Port € 68.00
Holidays and Weekends and weekday evening Rates (22:00 PM – 7:00 AM)
Pamplona - Saint Jean de Pied de Port € 85.00

There is a cheaper - though longer - option.

You can take a train to Irun. ± 2.5 hours, costs between 15€ and 19€ and then a train to Biarritz. ± 45 mins (http://www.renfe.es)

(There is also a bus to Irun but it leaves at 18h00 and gets there at 19h50 - costs 6,75€ http://www.laburundesa.com/ing/dinamica ... rridos.asp)

From Biarritz you take a train, bus or taxi to Bayonne and then a bus to St Jean.

At least you get to see lots of countryside!

Thank you Sil for the suggestions - now I'm in a muddle. My plans were to hike from Sept 23 - Oct 24 which really messes things up. I'm finding that if I roll back my dates by a couple weeks, I have a lot more options. I'm trying to do this while my wife is away on 2 business trips which is why I picked the dates I have.

I have committed to hiking the West Coast Trail (Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada) in August so I will need some down time from that.

If I leave here on Sept 8 (on Zoom from Winnipeg to Gatwick), I am able to catch the EasyJet flight out of Gatwick that same morning to Biarritz and then bus to SJPP. This is my cheapest and most effecient use of time.

Probably more thinking out loud to follow.

trundle

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
EasyJet flight out of Gatwick that same morning to Biarritz and then bus to SJPP.
Tha sounds like a good, less complicated option!

Another option would be to start walking from Pamplona instead of SJPP.

Hi Trundle,
You can also begin walking from Roncesvalles. Most of the Spaniards who walk the Camino begin there. I too, because I came north from Madrid (via Pamplona) decided to begin in Roncesvalles. It was recommended to me since I am not a "seasoned" hiker like you (and so many others) that perhaps it wasn't the best plan to begin by crossing the mountain. Since your time appears also to be a bit tight, beginning in Roncesvalles would cut one or maybe 2 days off your time. I walked Roncesvalles to Santiago in 30 days (no rest days) and was really covering ground at the end. It could easily (and perhaps should have been 31 days) - just an other thought to throw into your muddle.

By beginning in Roncesvalles you still begin in the Pyrenees, you just don't begin by crossing the highest peaks. If you take the 18h bus from Pamplona, you will arrive Roncesvalles around 19:30h in plenty of time to obtain your credencial, get your gear into the albergue and make the Pilgrim Mass/Blessing at 20h.

Buen Camino,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back