• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving Madrid Airport Sept 2021. Queue delays??

Walkingmad

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 2019
Hi Everyone, arriving into Madrid 3rd September 2021 around 9.45am from Dublin to resume my Camino Frances from Astorga. I will have my backpack on board with me. I am double vaccinated since June and will have all correct paperwork needed etc. Just wondering if any others who have flown into Madrid either from Dublin or other EU countries in last few weeks could comment on how fast or slow they got through passport/covid control? Hoping to make a bus connection at 12pm from Estacion Sur to Leon, arrives 4pm. Otherwise I plan to get fast Train to Leon at 2.40pm arriving at 4.45pm. I will then get another train or taxi to Astorga same evening. Just wondering what experience ppl have had in last few weeks arriving into Madrid Airport and if it is slow or fast to exit airport controls? Thanks everyone 🙂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you haven’t checked the Alsa website lately, you can see that they have once again put back their 11:15 stop at T4. This is the same bus that you are planning to get from Estación Sur, but no need to go there now!
Thanks for that tip, much appreciated. Hoping to get through security and passport control quickly..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I flew into Madrid on Sunday 8th (landed around 11am) and it was semi-organised chaos. Queues all over the place and people walking past them to join other queues further ahead - and it wasn't clear what they were for. Eventually worked out they were for the Spanish health control form which a lot of people hadn't completed. The sheer volume of people meant it was slow going getting through. Fingers crossed it is a bit quicker for you.

arriving into Madrid 3rd September 2021 around 9.45am from Dublin to resume my Camino Frances from Astorga.
Do you know which terminal you are arriving in, @Walkingmad?

If you are on Iberia or a partner, you will arrive in T4. The Alsa bus stop is outside on the arrivals level, very close to where you exit.

If you are on another airline, you will arrive in another terminal and will need to take the intra-airport bus. It operates every 10 minutes or so, and takes about 10 minutes to get to T4.

One time when I flew into Madrid I had a tight connection to make my flight to San Sebastian and it was also a very long walk from where my flight on Iberia from Mexico City arrived to get to my Vueling flight. I was given a pass when I de-boarded which allowed me to get through customs quickly and then to go through security screening. What would have taken a long time allowed me to get through both checkpoints within a matter of just a few minutes. Does anyone know if this service is still given to passengers with very tight connections?

Do you know which terminal you are arriving in, @Walkingmad?

If you are on Iberia or a partner, you will arrive in T4. The Alsa bus stop is outside on the arrivals level, very close to where you exit.

If you are on another airline, you will arrive in another terminal and will need to take the intra-airport bus. It operates every 10 minutes or so, and takes about 10 minutes to get to T4.
@peregrina2000 Yes I am arriving at T4 off Aerlingus from Dublin. Great to know Alsa are close by. Hoping all goes smooth and quick on arrival but at same time I appreciate things are very different right now and anything can happen on the day. I have the later train option if I don't make the bus options. Getting hopeful and excited now!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@peregrina2000 Yes I am arriving at T4 off Aerlingus from Dublin. Great to know Alsa are close by. Hoping all goes smooth and quick on arrival but at same time I appreciate things are very different right now and anything can happen on the day. I have the later train option if I don't make the bus options. Getting hopeful and excited now!
Hi, I am arriving same date from Scotland to walk primitivo, had given up hope that it would actually happen so am now madly trying to get fit and organised! Will be gutted if it doesn't happen now! Best of luck to all our fellow peregrines, this will be the year!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Walkingmad
Do you have the Alsa app? If you do, you can buy your ticket online and just show it to the driver. A recent poster on this forum said that he did so successfully. I found that, when flying into Madrid, then needing to take an Alsa bus somewhere with no way to get my ticket but to stand in line, it took longer to get to the front of the line than to get through all the arrival procedures. Good luck and Buen camino.

Hi, I am arriving same date from Scotland to walk primitivo, had given up hope that it would actually happen so am now madly trying to get fit and organised! Will be gutted if it doesn't happen now! Best of luck to all our fellow peregrines, this will be the year!
Am arriving from Seattle via Frankfurt to Bilbao in mid September how’s that ?

Hi... I arrive on Sept 6th at 9:50 and am going to Leon for the Salvador. Alsa has a non-stop at 11:15, but did not think that would be doable, so booked on a multi-stop leaving at 1:30. Arrive Leon at 4:45. I paid a little extra for a changeable ticket. If I make it through customs ect... for the 11:15 then I should be able to hop on. If not, the 1:30 is fine. I wonder if the bus driver can let me on without a formal changing of the ticket? Although, I hate to give up my assigned seat on the 1:30 bus. Also, I was told to look at the arrivals at MAD for the time of your arrival. If there are a lot of international flights into T4 at your arrival time, your chances go down. I did that in 2019 and found that my flight was the only one in a 30 minute window. I breezed through and got to my flight in a different terminal to Pamplona with a lot of time to spare. Best of luck.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you haven’t checked the Alsa website lately, you can see that they have once again put back their 11:15 stop at T4. This is the same bus that you are planning to get from Estación Sur, but no need to go there now!
Do you know where exactly you catch this bus at T4? I'll be there in 24 hours and would appreciate any info you may have so that I can find it on the first try! The website is confusing as it's not clear as I go the the floor where there is the ticket office or to the floor where the "local" bus is. Thanks!

Hi Everyone, arriving into Madrid 3rd September 2021 around 9.45am from Dublin to resume my Camino Frances from Astorga. I will have my backpack on board with me. I am double vaccinated since June and will have all correct paperwork needed etc. Just wondering if any others who have flown into Madrid either from Dublin or other EU countries in last few weeks could comment on how fast or slow they got through passport/covid control? Hoping to make a bus connection at 12pm from Estacion Sur to Leon, arrives 4pm. Otherwise I plan to get fast Train to Leon at 2.40pm arriving at 4.45pm. I will then get another train or taxi to Astorga same evening. Just wondering what experience ppl have had in last few weeks arriving into Madrid Airport and if it is slow or fast to exit airport controls? Thanks everyone 🙂
In 24 hours I'll be arriving in Madrid and catching the 11:15 am bus to Leon. Overnighting in Leon and then taking the 8:15 am-9am bus to Astorga! I'm happy to give you any tips regarding that trip. The Leon bus leaves from T4 so I'm hoping it will be smooth going. Buen Camino!

Do you know where exactly you catch this bus at T4? I'll be there in 24 hours and would appreciate any info you may have so that I can find it on the first try! The website is confusing as it's not clear as I go the the floor where there is the ticket office or to the floor where the "local" bus is. Thanks!
All you have to do is leave the airport beyond baggage claim. Signs for the metro and train will point to the right, and you just go straight outside. Cross the taxi lane and you will see the bus bays.

1629249620505.jpeg

In 24 hours I'll be arriving in Madrid and catching the 11:15 am bus to Leon. Overnighting in Leon and then taking the 8:15 am-9am bus to Astorga! I'm happy to give you any tips regarding that trip. The Leon bus leaves from T4 so I'm hoping it will be smooth going. Buen Camino!

Brilliant, would love to hear how you get on. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone, just to say I breezed through passport control and Spanish Locator points this morning from Dublin to Madrid. Flight touched down early in Terminal 4S and I was sitting up front so I could get off plane quicker. Instead of planned 11am bus to Leon I was literally on a 10am bus straight to Astorga instead. Sitting now in front of Gaudi Palice with cold beer. Happy days. Start walking towards Santiago tomorrow 🙂

Great to know... So they just let you jump on the earlier bus or did you have to change your ticket? Thanks for letting us know. I will be there on Monday! Slainte!

Great to know... So they just let you jump on the earlier bus or did you have to change your ticket? Thanks for letting us know. I will be there on Monday! Slainte!I

Great to know... So they just let you jump on the earlier bus or did you have to change your ticket? Thanks for letting us know. I will be there on Monday! Slainte!
Hi Jim, I had paid for 11am ticket but it was too late to try to cancel it. I bought a new ticket online for Astorga literally coming out the airport exits. Long journey though. Have a safe trip Monday and try to sit up front on plane if you can to get out earlier.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks very much for the advice... My plane is just over half full and I am up front, so looking good. I arrive at 9:50 and bus to Leon leaves at 11. Maybe I will use your trick, but my ticket is changeable, so I might just try to get on and ask them to change it! Ha ! Enjoy your Camino. Hopefully my wife and I will get to Ireland again in 2022, we love it there. Wouldn't mind moving there at all. Peace go with you!

Thanks very much for the advice... My plane is just over half full and I am up front, so looking good. I arrive at 9:50 and bus to Leon leaves at 11. Maybe I will use your trick, but my ticket is changeable, so I might just try to get on and ask them to change it! Ha ! Enjoy your Camino. Hopefully my wife and I will get to Ireland again in 2022, we love it there. Wouldn't mind moving there at all. Peace go with you!
Also check Madrid airport arrivals online. It will give you an indication if there are many flights arriving at same time as your flight to T4/S. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.