• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving SdC for the opening of the holy year (12/31/2020)

Lirsy

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
The opening of the 120th Holy Year will be on 12/31/2020. I plan to start in SJPdP on 11/25 or 11/24 in order to arrive to SdC on 12/30 and still count with a couple of days to rest somewhere if needed.

This ceremony doesn´t happen every year (latest one was on 2010 and the next one will be on 2027). A Holy Year is when the festivity of Santiago (25 July) is Sunday, 2020 is a Holy Year and the opening ceremony takes place on the evening of the 31 December of the previos year. The ceremony starts with the demolition of the brick wall that closes the Holly Door.

This will be my first time at SJPdP, I have always started the Camino Frances in Roncesvalles and, even if Napoleon's route is closed on those dates, I really want to walk that stage!

As the latest possible arrival date to SdC is mandatory (30 Dec) and taking into consideration that it will be a winter Camino, counting with some few extra days, looks like a good idea.
1588147006500.png

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The opening of the Holy Year will be on 12/31/2020. I plan to start in SJPdP on 11/25 in order to arrive to SdC on 12/30 and still count with a couple of days to rest somewhere if needed.

I would love to walk in December as well! But I don't know if things will be back to normal even by then.

By the way, the Pope can change the Holy year, back and forth and inside out and whatnot. That's his privilege I guess. So who knows if there will even be an opening of the Holy Year…! 😩

I would love to walk in December as well! But I don't know if things will be back to normal even by then.

By the way, the Pope can change the Holy year, back and forth and inside out and whatnot. That's his privilege I guess. So who knows if there will even be an opening of the Holy Year…! 😩

With the plan that the goverment presented yesterday, I think that we can be very optistic about the opening of the Camino. In theory, if everything goes well, everything will return to "normality" by the end of June. "Normality" meaning some extra safety measures, etc.

Yeah, it is a possibility that the Pope decides to modify the dates. If he does so ... I will modify my shedule ;)
Anyhow, if the forecast given by the goverment becomes real, I don´t think that the postposition of the Holy Year would be probable. We will know that in just 2 or 3 weeks.

Only .... Please Pope, don´t fix the starting of the Holy Year in February!!! Latest time it was minus 12 degrees when I when out of the albergue in Leon!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m also planning on walking from SJPdP to Santiago for the full month of December arriving in Santiago in time for the Holy Year ceremony. I’m being optimistic that the Camino will be open by then.

Hopefully I will be, I am probably starting from Burgos around the 10 th. I arrived in Santiago last year for the 31st and in 2015 as well. It's a long way to go until then and lots of things could happen, but here's to wishing for it.

Buen Camino

With the plan that the goverment presented yesterday, I think that we can be very optistic about the opening of the Camino. In theory, if everything goes well, everything will return to "normality" by the end of June. "Normality" meaning some extra safety measures, etc.

Yeah, it is a possibility that the Pope decides to modify the dates. If he does so ... I will modify my shedule ;)
Anyhow, if the forecast given by the goverment becomes real, I don´t think that the postposition of the Holy Year would be probable. We will know that in just 2 or 3 weeks.

Only .... Please Pope, don´t fix the starting of the Holy Year in February!!! Latest time it was minus 12 degrees when I when out of the albergue in Leon!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don't think any government can assure anything against the Corona, if we don't keep every body on lock down at the same time until very few people are contagious then we will be back at the beginning.😷😷😷😷😷😷😷😷
I personally wan't muove until 2022.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Sören el Vikingo,

According to pre-apocalypse statistics, December & January are the least busy months on the Camino. Post-apocalypse, who knows. I believe some accommodation close during Winter!

The opening of the 120th Holy Year will be on 12/31/2020. I plan to start in SJPdP on 11/25 or 11/24 in order to arrive to SdC on 12/30 and still count with a couple of days to rest somewhere if needed.

This ceremony doesn´t happen every year (latest one was on 2010 and the next one will be on 2027). A Holy Year is when the festivity of Santiago (25 July) is Sunday, 2020 is a Holy Year and the opening ceremony takes place on the evening of the 31 December of the previos year. The ceremony starts with the demolition of the brick wall that closes the Holly Door.

This will be my first time at SJPdP, I have always started the Camino Frances in Roncesvalles and, even if Napoleon's route is closed on those dates, I really want to walk that stage!

As the latest possible arrival date to SdC is mandatory (30 Dec) and taking into consideration that it will be a winter Camino, counting with some few extra days, looks like a good idea.
View attachment 74096
Inspiring plan you have, to walk in dec this year - how many people are on the track during winter time and how are the poss for accommodations along the way?

At the moment we can't guarantee anything. There might be restrictions on foreign national coming into Spain, once in then moving between regions could be problematic due to further restrictions, some areas might be closed while others are open. Then accommodation will be a challenge due to natural concerns of locals about outsiders like me coming into their villages and towns, and I can see other issues arising out of situations like that. So even if we are able to do it it will be unlike any other previous Camino's.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think any government can assure anything against the Corona
That is clear. Whatever plan the goverment prepared may change. I think that in one month we will have a clearer image of the situation, in two we will have an almost final image.... And always is the possibility that the corona returns!! So far, every plan is just a declaration of intentions.

According to pre-apocalypse statistics, December & January are the least busy months on the Camino. Post-apocalypse, who knows. I believe some accommodation close during Winter!

Inspiring plan you have, to walk in dec this year - how many people are on the track during winter time and how are the poss for accommodations along the way?

I walked in February from Roncesvalles. There were many closed albergues, but I had no problem finding one every night. The only precaution I took was to call every day the potential albergues for the following night (I don't like to make reservations) to confirm which albergues were open. To give you an idea ... we were 7 pilgrims in Roncesvalles and the number increased progressively when we got closer to SdC (more in Pamplona, more in Logroño, more ...)

I loved and really enjoyed that Camino!!!

Then accommodation will be a challenge due to natural concerns of locals about outsiders like me coming into their villages and towns

I don't think the locals will express any concerns. I think they will be very happy to see that the Camino returns to normal. You should bear in mind that, assuming everything goes well, the situation will return to normal at the end of June ... we would be 5 months within "normality". A different problem would be if the corona returns! In that case ... we will have to just forget about the Camino.

So even if we are able to do it it will be unlike any other previous Camino's.
YEAH!!! This will be an UNIQUE Camino!!:)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

12° YIKES!!!

I'm glad I found this thread. I just booked a flight for December and plan on doing a week on the Camino. Not sure which part yet, but sounds like plenty of others will be out there. I know things may not be back to normal, but keeping my fingers crossed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back