• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving (too?) early

TheoCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
past: 2016, 2017
planned: 2023
Hello,
this is my very first post and it is about the very beginning of the journey.

I will arrive in Bayonne august 17th at 9 am. I will be exhausted from a very long bustrip, so I decided it would be a very bad idea to already walk that same day to Roncesvalles.

My question to you is surprisingly simple: what should I do that day?
Should I wander in the (beautiful?) city of Bayonne? Or should I go ASAP to SJPDP to find an albergue, since I have the possibility to arrive early and thus pick a cheap one? When I arrive that early in SJPDP, can I do something there or is it just a wasted day?

Thanks in advance & hope to see you there ;-)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
what should I do that day?
Bayonne is a very nice city with a nice cathedral and good riverfront restaurants. SJPdP also has things to see and good food to eat. You could split your time. Staying out in the sun helps adjust to time zone changes, but you also will want to catch up on sleep. If you do not want to feel pressed for time at all, take the next train to SJPdP, check into a hotel, walk around, eat an early dinner, and go to bed. You will be ready to go the next morning! Buen camino.

You could book the Albergue at Orisson for the night of 17th august. It's about 2 hrs walk from St Jean. This would allow you time to have a look around the town of SJPP and also to break the back of the journey to Roncesvalles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recommend taking the next train or bus to SJPdP, find an albergue to stay in and then roam about a bit, get your pilgrim's passport, some snacks for the next day, etc. Early next morning start walking your Camino and trek on down to Roncesvalles.
That's the way I always did it. Worked great.
cheers and ultreia

Take the next train to St Jean, get settled into your accommodation, have a nice lazy day wandering about this pretty, historical, Basque town, and an early night to ensure your batteries are recharged for your assault on the Pyrenees.
Regards & good travelling,
Gerard

Bayonne is a really nice city, but you might not be in the mood for exploring it after a long bus journey. If you are, you could pick up your pilgrim passport and first stamp at the cathedral and relax in one of the many cafes before taking the train to St. Jean. The pilgrim desk in Bayonne cathedral (open 9am to 12pm) will give you the same information that you get in St. Jean (but probably not the same help with finding accommodation, which may be an issue if you haven't booked a bed).

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for your advice! I will probably take the next train to St Jean and just take an easy day off in preparation for a hard and long month... :)

I had a similar situation in SJPP. Frankly, there is not much to do; you can visit the old fortress, walk along the river, see the old church...and still have a loooong day for doing nothing. I was restless...
Bayonne, on the other side, is a beautiful city, with a a cathedral and museum, delicious Basque gastronomy and it is considered as "the chocolate capital of France". It is also the beginning of three different Camino routes, with its own "Amis du Chemin" Association. And the picturesque Biarritz, with its beach and old residences, is quite close.
You can make an albergue reservation by phone in SJPP.
Anyway you decide, enjoy your day of rest!

Last edited:
Are you in a hurry? Spend some time in both places. If you're one of thise folks that has your pilgrimage planned down to the minute then I have no suggestions to offer. However, If you are letting the Camino be your guide THEN I suggest drinking it all in and taking your time.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Are you in a hurry? Spend some time in both places. If you're one of thise folks that has your pilgrimage planned down to the minute then I have no suggestions to offer. However, If you are letting the Camino be your guide THEN I suggest drinking it all in and taking your time.
Buen Camino
True, after some more thinking I decided to not book any transport in advance and just see where things lead me.
(Like it should be?)

True, after some more thinking I decided to not book any transport in advance and just see where things lead me.
(Like it should be?)
As it should be. Good for you! The only thing I booked in advance was my one way ticket TO Spain. That way, the decision as to whether or not to go was decided. And I bought it months in advance. The only thing I really planned (if you could call it that) was volunteering at an albergue.
And that worked out quite well. It was a profound experience for me.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.