• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrow at Burguete

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anyone have a photo I can use of that arrow on the ROADWAY at the turnoff at Burguete?
Hmmm ... I've got a photo of a large stone type monument sign with a hand painted yellow arrow It reads BEHEKO ZUBIA.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I remember that turn well! It really did not look like one should go down a minor path next to the bank.... and I think the arrow may not have been easy (for me) to see. Needless to say, I walked maybe 1 k out of town on the main road with a nice Japanese pilgrim after which, we both turned around.
Tricky spot

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did the same thing in the dark on the way out of Villafranca del Bierzo. When I started walking through the highway tunnel...

Look up!

Both times walking out of Burgos I failed to find the arrow, and even now I cannot remember where it is!! About a group of 12 people of us were leaving the city albergue (which is really good!) and we all missed it in the morning darkness. We marched on, talking and not noticing we were not on the path until some folks behind us called us back. The second time I looked for it and couldn't find it....a friend with me found it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I remember that turn well! It really did not look like one should go down a minor path next to the bank.... and I think the arrow may not have been easy (for me) to see. Needless to say, I walked maybe 1 k out of town on the main road with a nice Japanese pilgrim after which, we both turned around.
Tricky spot
My partner and I missed that turn off too until a nice man turned us around 😁

Both times walking out of Burgos I failed to find the arrow, and even now I cannot remember where it is!! About a group of 12 people of us were leaving the city albergue (which is really good!) and we all missed it in the morning darkness. We marched on, talking and not noticing we were not on the path until some folks behind us called us back. The second time I looked for it and couldn't find it....a friend with me found it.
But sometimes, not finding the arrows leads to interesting places like this street market and this sculpture.
IMG_20190531_104902009.jpgIMG_20190531_105105401.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I too missed this turn once! It was already light out, but I was focused on using the ATM! Luckily, I noticed a group of pilgrims who were behind us, disappearing to the left, they were turning right, of course. That was an immediate alert to go back and see if I missed an arrow or a Coffee stop!

And I don’t recall seeing such bright road arrows....😃😃😃

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Both my starts from St J de P, I stayed in Burguete, in 2013, it was pouring rain leaving Burguete and I totally missed the turn and ended up road walking to the top of the climb about 3 kms later before picking up the proper route, in 2015, when I got to Burguete and my Hostal, I double checked that evening and could not credit that I'd missed the turn 2 years earlier. Live and learn.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It's super obvious if you know to look for it. Those last seven words are important. Most pilgrims, this early into their Camino, haven't developed the habit of always having a piece of their mind scanning all around for yellow arrows.
And how many of us are still scanning a week after finishing our camino? Was quite a shock to think for myself again :)

You have to go wrong sometime on the camino, it's a bit like falling off a bicycle - you haven't learnt properly until you have done it at least once. We stayed at Fuenteroble in the famous albergue. A lot of pilgrims stay there, so in the morning there was a stream of fellow pilgrims to follow along the road out of town. After following the road out of town for a while, we realised there were no fellow pilgrims, no arrows, no bootprints and people in the cars passing by were giving us very strange looks. It goes against the grain to walk back, but we had no alternative. After about 45 minutes we came across the information board, the swarm of yellow arrows and the enormous wooden calvary marking where the camino turns off the road onto the Roman road. We'd not only missed them, we had totally ignored the shouts of fellow pilgrims who had yelled after us as we plodded determinedly in the wrong direction. We'd just been talking and hadn't noticed. Mind you, it's not always the pilgrim's fault;
1615866256840.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The NVI highway Tunnel, if you survive the pot holes, takes you right to the Camino route.
Ha, I managed to get to the entrance to that tunnel and realised I was off track somehow, I think I added about an hour to my day getting back on track, mainly due to chatting to helpful people

Are you saying I could have just gone through anyway? DOH!

One sound memory from the Camino I often hear over again in my mind is "Señor, señor. Camino esta aquí," usually from an elderly woman pointing a direction different from the one I was walking. Also, very early on I learned 'derecho' is straight and 'a la derecha' is to the right.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the language lesson. Having walked 4 caminos, I had only learned "recto" as straight (ahead). I wonder how "derecho" and "recto" became the same (straight). Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.