• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arroyo de los Molinos (Sevilla - Guillena)

eze

Time of past OR future Camino
Francès 2005/2006
Norte 2007
Plata 2008
Eze (home) Roma
Mozarabe April 2014 (Granada-Cordoba) March 2016 (Córdoba-Merida)
Camino Gironès September 2014 (La Jonquera-Vic)
Hello amigos

I have one more question.

We'll start from Sevilla on March 9th 2010. Could have some surprises at that period of spring with the level of water...
What are your experiences regarding this arroyo that some of you may have crossed on a tree brought down on the bed of the river ?
Is it an easy cross ?

Merci.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We crossed in April and there was a lot of water - no possibility of using a tree. We took off our boots and socks, rolled up our pants and walked through. Even then it was quite deep and our pants did get wet. March will likely be the same (and colder).

lynne

Hi, Eze,
Last year in mid April, I was able to cross that arroyo on the tree that was over to the left side. But I was too unsure about stepping and wound up sitting down and sliding across. In retrospect, it would have been much easier to take off my boots and walk across.

We had an all night rain the night I was in Monesterio, and about 10 km outside Fuente de Cantos there was an arroyo that left us no alternative but to take off boots and roll up our pants. Same thing the next day, after Calzadilla de los Barros (which has a very good cafe with home made pastries and last year it didn't have any sort of sign to indicate its presence -- it's on the right, just before the plaza mayor, beyind a little sitting area). Anyway, there were several spots with a fair amount of water after Calzadilla. I got the added enjoyment of having been talking too much with another walker and we missed an arrow and soon saw the Camino on the other side of a huge arroyo, in fact I would say this was more like a small river. With the option being to backtrack a few km, we just waded across. So be careful when leaving Calzadilla, outside town, there is a spot where you have to go up towards the highway and cross the stream, or else you'll be on the wrong side like we were.

So, I guess you are likely to have some water crossing in your future. I think it's worth the few extra minutes to tie your boots to your pack or stuff them inside, or do something to make sure you can use your walking sticks or a branch for support while you're crossing. These stretches are very pretty and the water is not that big a deal. Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I crossed the stream of the molinos in early April 2006.
I took off my boots and pants and put on sandals to protect my feet in the turbid water.
The water came up to just above my knees.

The stream was one of the surprises on VdlP.
There were a couple more streams in the next week.
Some had stepping stones but there were places where I needed to take off my boots.
Water not as deep though.

Ultreia!
David, Victoria, Canada

If you walk the stream, but on sandals to protect your feet. We met a walker who had to return back home some days later, because he had got a wound and an infection crossing there. Bjørg

We leave home to morrow.
If necessary, i copy a mail recd from Association de Peregrinos de Sevilla regarding our topic.
If you check Mundicamino, you'll get a "fresher" information going the same way.
Still not possible to cross that "arroyo".
Weather forecast are not the best ones so looking forward to walking in muddy areas...

Buen camino everybody

Estimado Francis:

Efectivamente, debido a las lluvias (y a la desidia de las
Administraciones Públicas) Arroyomolinos no es vadeable a día de hoy; la
Asociación ha colocado un cartel de desvio por la carretera antigua que
lleva a Guillena, que tiene poco tráfico, tal como anunciamos en nuestras
noticias de la web. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen camino, Eze.

I hope to be following behind in about two months, and very much look forward to reading your posts "live from the camino" if you have the time.

Watch out for the bedbugs in the Zafra albergue -- maybe they've moved on by now, but last April I was badly bitten.

Ultreya! Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
Watch out for the bedbugs in the Zafra albergue

If you don't want to worry about bedbugs and enjoy a treat in Zafra, visit my friend Paco at Los Balcones de Zafra on the Plaza Grande (it's on the camino).
You will receive a royal treatment at a peregrino price. Ask for '' la habitacion del peregrino''.

I spent three nights there last fall, recuperating from a bad foot and I have nothing but praise for that gentleman who speaks Spanish, French, German and English.

I owe him this one...

Jean-Marc

Hello friends,

Just flown back from Spain this morning (March 29th 2010).
I wish to say to all who will start soon that from Sevilla to Salamanca, at the exception of one or two stages, el Camino is "wet".
I mean that, after the recent and long heavy rains, the land seems not able to absorb the water it received for several weeks. Most of the low parts of the meadows are either covered with waters or muddy. Add to it cows or sheep stamping and you will get the recipe to spend half an hour cleaning your boots at arrival...
Regarding, above mentioned subject, we could not pass, as scheduled Arroyo de los Molinos as it was a real muddy mountain stream. I have some photos.
We also had to cross many "arroyos". So prepare to take off your shoes. Fresh waters help blood circulation ...
After having walked the two others main caminos, we feel that this one is very very nice.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, eze,
So now you're in your post-camino decompression stage, eh? Welcome home, and I look forward to hearing all about your experiences if you care to post them.

I had been worried that I was going to be starting too late by waiting till early May, but it looks like it may have been a lucky decision.

Laurie

I have just heard from the Sevilla amigos that the Arroyo is once again passable, and should remain so for the rest of the year, barring any unusual weather (and I guess unusual weather is pretty usual these days!). Laurie

has anyone got any up to date info on the water levels this year?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No, I've got three weeks. Hoping for sunny days to dry things up.

Good luck cause the level was waist deep as reported in my 'live' post.
Rarely a day goes by that we don't have wet feet. I am now past Arco de Cáparra at Hostal Asturias (day 15 for me).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My poor little purple boots won't be purple any more, I have a feeling....

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back