• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrrgh. . . It's Too Red. Will It Be Like Carrying An Easter Egg?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

This post is about an unabashedly silly First World problem. :)

After a few thousand miles of hard use, I decided to retire my Gossamer Gear Mariposa backpack. For a variety of reasons I decided to replace it with a ULA Circuit backpack to use for weekend backpacking and the upcoming Camino in October.

A few weeks ago, I had purchased a ULA Circuit (in blue) for Jill. I had ordered her's with the 'S' shaped shoulder straps. Although hers is a smaller frame length, when I tried it on I really liked the feel of those S straps. Compared to the 'J' shaped straps that were on my previous ULA Circuit, (also retired) I find the 'S' shape to fit even better, so that is what I ordered for my new Circuit.

Yes!!. . the Circuit feels as comfortable as I remember; it fits great, and the S straps make the shoulder harness a comfortable wear. I also have always loved the hipbelts on ULA backpacks because they have four primary adjustment/tension straps instead of two, which really helps to get a dialed-in fit to the hips. This is a backpack that is perfect for handling load weights of under 25 pounds. For my typical Camino load weight of 11 to 12 pounds, the Circuit will almost be unnoticed on my back.

But, the color o_O It is really, really red. A bright, near fluorescent, cherry red.

I had thought the red had looked more., well, subdued online; more on the darker side. Sorta the same red that I remember my old Dana Designs backpack having been ( now THAT was an OK red). So, I am pondering whether to
  1. Suck it up, Buttercup.
  2. Exchange the Circuit for the green color I am used to with my previous ULA backpacks.
  3. Exchange the Circuit for the gray color, which is what I have gotten used to with my Gossamer Gear backpacks.
So fellow members, what do you think?

I warned ya this post was horrendously First World foolishness :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fit, comfort, and functionality first then my choice would be 2, 3, 1.

Green, on the dark side if possible. Next any other subdued color. Last choice would be any bright or fluorescent color with red, orange, and blue being the most offensive for me to wear. They may work for some people but not for me.

Good luck with your decision.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It’s mostly black. Although the red fabric does remind me of Old Man Pedrotti’s (senile great uncle twice removed) underpants from the late 60s. 😆
Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I like the red, but not being a big red (or any one color long term) enthusiast for my own back, I would go for the grey and add some of the GG colored compression straps to suit the mood. Easy to change colors when the urge hits.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yeah, red socks and a man thong to match; that's me all over. :p😁

If you buy red socks to go with red thong and red pack you then must apply for full membership on Not Serious thread.

Otherwise, ditch red socks for blue or white socks and togs and go with our nation’s color scheme from red backpack to toe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If it is too red, why does it look so black? 🤔🤔🤔

The front of the pack has a big, black mesh main pocket. The sides and top (which has a tall extendable collar) is all red. :)

Also, there are two methods of closing the main bag. The method pictured is with the top rolled and fastened. I fold the top over in the more traditional manner, and the red material extends down halfway over that main outside black mesh pocket. So once the top is fastened down, there is even more red visible. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Exactly!

I hate to say it, but this alleged red backpack is far too black, and to call the other packs grey and green is a blatant case of first world denial.

The OP had better worry about a decent hat to prevent sunstroke.

Nope, not denial at all. The pics are just a partial sample of the whole backpack that you don't get to see all at once. And having walked across Death Valley and living in a high desert climate, I definitely know how to keep my noggin from frying :)

Nope, not denial at all. The pics are just a partial sample of the whole backpack that you don't get to see all at once. And having walked across Death Valley and living in a high desert climate, I definitely know how to keep my noggin from frying :)

Well, too red or not too red that is the question.

Answer: take it and have a lovely camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The front of the pack has a big, black mesh main pocket. The sides and top (which has a tall extendable collar) is all red. :)

Also, there are two methods of closing the main bag. The method pictured is with the top rolled and fastened. I fold the top over in the more traditional manner, and the red material extends down halfway over that main outside black mesh pocket. So once the top is fastened down, there is even more red visible. :eek:
What was it HH the Dalai Lama wrote? Something about doing a new or challenging thing every day? I take this to mean, moving outside the comfortable, known and familiar routines and accepting change. It ain't easy, esp when applied to age-related changes, but perhaps it is good to be challenged, even in this fluoro colour way? For what it's worth, I like the vivid red & black, but that's me. Have fun deciding!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yeah. . :) It wasn't the amount of red material, just the color of the material that is red :)
But it is sooooo preeeeettyyyyy!!! 😍

Edit: just saw you replied above! It is funny that my husband (army boy) is also very fond of the greens and greys. But for the Camino he has an unusual fluoro blue pack and an orange sleeping bag. He said the if emergency happens, he will just wave those things like flags to call attention!

What was it HH the Dalai Lama wrote? Something about doing a new or challenging thing every day? I take this to mean, moving outside the comfortable, known and familiar routines and accepting change. It ain't easy, esp when applied to age-related changes, but perhaps it is good to be challenged, even in this fluoro colour way? For what it's worth, I like the vivid red & black, but that's me. Have fun deciding!

"Vivid".. . now that's a good adjective for this color. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

If you wish to represent the country of Albania, their flag is exclusively red and black.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

€83,-

After a few thousand miles of hard use, I decided to retire my Gossamer Gear Mariposa backpack. For a variety of reasons I decided to replace it with a ULA Circuit backpack to use for weekend backpacking and the upcoming Camino in October.

A few weeks ago, I had purchased a ULA Circuit (in blue) for Jill. I had ordered her's with the 'S' shaped shoulder straps. Although hers is a smaller frame length, when I tried it on I really liked the feel of those S straps. Compared to the 'J' shaped straps that were on my previous ULA Circuit, (also retired) I find the 'S' shape to fit even better, so that is what I ordered for my new Circuit.

Yes!!. . the Circuit feels as comfortable as I remember; it fits great, and the S straps make the shoulder harness a comfortable wear. I also have always loved the hipbelts on ULA backpacks because they have four primary adjustment/tension straps instead of two, which really helps to get a dialed-in fit to the hips. This is a backpack that is perfect for handling load weights of under 25 pounds. For my typical Camino load weight of 11 to 12 pounds, the Circuit will almost be unnoticed on my back.

But, the color o_O It is really, really red. A bright, near fluorescent, cherry red.

I had thought the red had looked more., well, subdued online; more on the darker side. Sorta the same red that I remember my old Dana Designs backpack having been ( now THAT was an OK red). So, I am pondering whether to
  2. Exchange the Circuit for the green color I am used to with my previous ULA backpacks.
  3. Exchange the Circuit for the gray color, which is what I have gotten used to with my Gossamer Gear backpacks.

View attachment 59206

View attachment 59207

View attachment 59208
Its fabulous. It would be my first choice of colours. Remember "red goes faster" - in cars anyway. My backpack is the brightest aqua with yellow trim. It was heavily reduced, probably because of the colour but I reckon it will work like a hi-vis vest.

I'm really sorry I can't get in a frivolous mood. It looks like so much fun. But since that car accident a couple of days ago I have been thinking a lot about how I could make myself more visible on camino. A high vis vest tied around my pack looks like one solution, but would be sure to be a nuisance, blocking my access to everything. And you have the perfect solution to a serious problem for camino walkers: deadly drivers. Take it as a gift and as a way to self-protect along the roads. Maybe you will set a trend in this, as you seem to be in so much else. And we will get to meet you, since we shall see you coming and think: "I know who that must be." Of course, that could cause other problems.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
DH has a red pack. When he's 50 feet + ahead of me, it's a lot easier to see him and not feel completely alone. (I wouldn't mind a red pack, but for me the fit is the thing.) I did make us "bags of fabulosity" (pack duffels that fold into their own little zipper pocket) out of red and gray nylon oxford cloth. Easy to find on the luggage carousel. Got some attention from Spanish customs when we landed at Irun, well, at least until we said "yes it's ours, want to see it? it's for the Camino!"

I think it is lovely.
A red backpack is always better if rescue needed (maybe not on Camino but on other hikes).
You will recognize you pack anywhere.
It will bring joy to people coming up behind you.
Your camino friends will instantly know it is you in front of them.
It can be a conversation starter.

I wish the Mariposa could come in fun colours. Needs to buy a new one.

It looks fine. I have seen many red backpacks on the Camino and never thought anything of it. Can’t see the problem.

Once when buying walking gear I commented that the colour didn't fit well with my usual colour scheme. The young assistant replied "real walkers don't worry or care what they look like" that told me!
Personally I'd go for the dark green or grey rucksack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My b/p is bright, intensive blue.
I'm happy with the color. The raincover is neon-orange.

I can't see any problem here. The red color is quite dark.
The brighter the color, the more you will be seen on the side of the road. Think of it!

Buen Camino!
Roland

While I sympathize, here's the color REI had in stock for the Women's Jade 38. My thinking is that it will be easier for rescuers to spot me in an emergency. View attachment 59212View attachment 59212

Indeed, easier to spot in an emergency! I would be fine with it! If I saw you with it I would be fine with it. But ultimately, if you can not walk with it on the Camino without thinking about what others will think about the color...then exchange it. Second choice would be grey.

cool-easter-bunny-vector-697358.jpg

This is what carrying a red easter egg looks like.

Nothing to worry about in the grand scheme of things.

Once it's on your back, you won't notice the color. After a few days it won't seem remarkable, even when it's sitting on the floor in front of you. And a long time after you've stopped thinking about it, some twit with a rucksack in a safe, masculine, shade of green, will say "Are you a Liverpool supporter or Santa Claus?" and you'll laugh at their small mindedness.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Better red than dead!!! Or was it the other way around????? It is on your back and you can't see it. Cars will. It is just a backpack. It is not like you are wearing a red tux to your senior prom. Keep it and love it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At art college we were told that a small amount of red in a picture enhances larger areas of green. So an artist might, for example, include a few red poppies as he paints a green landscape, to increase the effect of the green.
So a bright red backpack will enhance the landscape of any green bits of Spain you wander through. (Would make a drought blighted landscape worse, however !)

Easy to see you, therefore good safety colour

View attachment 59206

View attachment 59207

View attachment 59208
You are right. This is a first world problem. There will be advantages to having the bright color, baggage claim for example.

View attachment 59206

View attachment 59207

View attachment 59208

1. When you are wearing it, you cannot see it. It's behind you.
2. As you walk along, others CAN see you. This is a good thing.
3. If you stack it at a cafe stop, or in the bottom of a bus, NO ONE can easily walk off with it. Why would they want to?

A bright color rucksack is a net good thing, at least IMHO.

I vote for sucking it up.

View attachment 59206

View attachment 59207

View attachment 59208
But it will be easier to spot if someone tries to run off with it😆

View attachment 59206

View attachment 59207

View attachment 59208
Mike Savage is very wise but we can disagree. I lean towards visibility when on the Camino because of “Road Walking” and fast cars.

€83,-

View attachment 59206

View attachment 59207

View attachment 59208
If you hate it, exchange it However, I agree red is a safe choice for being seen . I think it looks cool 😎

Just in case you are keeping a tally of opinions, I thought I would weigh in, too. A few years ago my walking-mate wore a red backpack and it was always reassuring when I could easily spot him ahead of me in the distance...and I agree that a red pack is more easily seen than grey or black in an emergency.

€149,-
I love the red one. The pack I'm likely to buy frm Zpacks is bright blue. My pet hate is the way that manufacturers of outdoor and sports clothing and kit think tht women's kit must always be pink or pale blue.

:D👍👍 Thanks to all for weighing in. I loved many of the responses, and there were a lot of great thoughts.

This post was meant to be light-hearted and fun :) To any who interpreted my post as me having a serious dilemma, and that I had lost all reason and proportionality in a world filled with REAL problems, sorry 'bout that. I do question the color solely as a matter of my personal preference and taste, but I do understand that on a metaphysical scale of problems and issues, this issue lies below the concern of when to pull weeds from a row of tomatoes :)

In the meantime, here's a photo of the backpack I used in the late 60's. How do you like THAT color :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
:D👍👍 Thanks to all for weighing in. I loved many of the responses, and there were a lot of great thoughts.

This post was meant to be light-hearted and fun :) To any who interpreted my post as me having a serious dilemma, and that I had lost all reason and proportionality in a world filled with REAL problems, sorry 'bout that. I do question the color solely as a matter of my personal preference and taste, but I do understand that on a metaphysical scale of problems and issues, this issue lies below the concern of when to pull weeds from a row of tomatoes :)

In the meantime, here's a photo of the backpack I used in the late 60's. How do you like THAT color :)

View attachment 59252
It looks identical to packs which I used. I am sure that I am the only walker in the world who found external frame packs more comfortable than internal frame. But we must move with the times.

View attachment 59206

View attachment 59207

View attachment 59208
Keep the red ! I always like taking unusual colors that I can readily identify as my own and that assist others in differentiating me from the masses. I once followed a man, chasing him down at breakneck speed because I thought it was my walking friend Lisa! They had the same color shorts and shirt and hiking hat and the same color pack...I had no idea how she got so far ahead of me...nonetheless, I climbed and hiked and ran just to catch up to her...Imagine my surprise when I heard her hollering my name from behind!
Get the red :)

View attachment 59252
Yikes! I met a young man on my first camino that was walking with a huge external metal framed, canvas backpack...inside he had a full-sized laptop. That pack and laptop alone weighed more than what I carried!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm working out the details of a red, body-paint spray application right now. :)

I must convene an emergency meeting of Not thread contributors.

Red is our signature color, and oft times topic of conversation.

@davebugg; you’re hijacking (our Not theme.

Um, um!

What to do?

BYW what color have you chosen?

I must convene an emergency meeting of Not thread contributors.

Red is our signature color, and oft times topic of conversation.

@davebugg; you’re hijacking (our Not theme.

Um, um!

What to do?

BYW what color have you chosen?
It’s very RED! 😂Only kiddin’...
You’ll just have to wear nail varnish to match so you can’t be spotted in the cherry trees 😂😉😉
Sorted!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Spanish army in full mountain gear and weapons has been known to rescue lost and injured pilgrims from the wilderness on the Aragones. This is true! Dave, you will be an easy find!

Last edited:
Don't worry about the colour Dave, by the time it's got a coating of Camino dust a pair of socks and undies drying from it, and a bocodillo shoved down the back the colour won't matter at all and you will look like every other pilgrim.

Don't worry about the colour Dave, by the time it's got a coating of Camino dust a pair of socks and undies drying from it, and a bocodillo shoved down the back the colour won't matter at all and you will look like every other pilgrim.

:cool:

Good point on the dust. . . I should have a bit of ground-in trail dirt and dust before October's departure for sure.

Bocadillo in the outside mesh pocket, absolutely. Undies are a non-factor (commando). Socks, if still a bit damp by the time I get up to walk in the morning, get worn until dry. :) Maybe I can hang Jill's socks and undies instead :p; I'm sure she won't mind a bit.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 59206

View attachment 59207

View attachment 59208
go with the green

View attachment 59206

View attachment 59207

View attachment 59208
Mine is bright blue. I really wanted grey or a more subdued color but blue was $50 cheaper. My boyfriend offered to buy me the grey one but I thought that seemed silly to spend the money on the same pack just because the Gregory colors are wild. I've grown to like it now. My pack is so small, I got the 28 liter, but on the plus side I can't buy anything. And that's good for my already stressed shoulders. See up sides to everything. I'd say fit is #1 and personally I think the Gregory Jade pack is too heavy unloaded. So unless it's your fit supreme, I'd consider another.

I just got red Osprey one which not Red enough for my taste. For me is visibility of the colour important. Actually not emportant enough to use a bright neon green one or - God beware - a neon pink one. 😁

€83,-
Only Popes are wearing red shoes.
Shorts can contrast, But coordinated hats worked for Team Zissou, and why not match the shoes too?

QUOTE="Raggy, post: 754452, member: 73526"]
Shorts can contrast, But coordinated hats worked for Team Zissou, and why not match the shoes too?
[/QUOTE]

I am recommending (1.).

Dave, in reality, when in use, it does not really matter what colour it is as it is on your back. A visible colour, even on the Camino, is not a bad thing. My Osprey is red and grey and I love it, but again, it is mostly on my back so out of sight.

It is also a harder choice for thieves as it stands out.

Sucking it up should not be so bad in this case, no matter which world you happen to be in.

Definitely red. You'll make people smile and you can pick your pack out in a sea of others in a red-hot-minute. Sorry :)

Dave, I love to take photos with vibrant brightly-colored "foreground props", such as this photo from last spring the day after Roncesvalles. I'm doing the Ingles in August, but I'm tempted to stick around until October so your red pack can brighten my photos! ;)

Attachments

• cropped rain.jpg
    cropped rain.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5
Dave, I love to take photos with vibrant brightly-colored "foreground props", such as this photo from last spring the day after Roncesvalles. I'm doing the Ingles in August, but I'm tempted to stick around until October so your red pack can brighten my photos! ;)

Hi, Becky. . .

I was going to let everyone know what color was finally decided upon, so this is a good time to tell you that my wife, Jill, had the final say. She 'helped' me decide to stick with the green color. Since my worn out Circuit, which is being replaced with the new Circuit was green, she not only liked the green better, but felt like I was having color-choice issues because I do not particularly care for change. I do not see the basis behind THAT thought. I have always been open to change. As long as no one moves my stuff around, I'm golden. :)

Well, Dave, it was a thread that prompted many interesting and funny responses. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks, Chrissy; I enjoyed it as well. I actually came very close to sticking with the red color, but it was just a niggling little blockage fully committing to that relationship. 😁 The fun part was that those who posted were generous with making some good points to chew on; especially since this isn't a significant problem by any stretch of the imagination.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.