• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Art along the Camino

KristinaMaria

Not sure if this is the best place for this posting...I was wondering what types of artworks / galleries / etc. are along the camino or off the beaten path (excluding beautiful nature + towns of course).

Or maybe which of the bigger towns might have art spaces / churches / that are worth looking for.

thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Apart from the Cathedral in Santiago perhaps the Basilica of San Isidoro in Leon is the most important place on the Camino from an artistic view.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_San_Isidoro

The church of San Martin at Fromista is another Romanesque gem. Leon and Burgos cathedrals should not be missed.

Personally of all the sights on the Camino Frances the cathedral at Astorga together with the weird Bishop's Palace by Gaudi next to it was the most memorable.

you need to consult "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook," by David Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson. isbn 0-312-25415-4. It is the encyclopedic volume on all the hundreds of artistic treasures to be seen along the Camino Frances, more than you ever wanted to know... and the camino offers much much more art than appears in that ten-year-old volume!

Reb.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is the cave art on the Norte. Near Santillana the cave paintings are reproduced in the museum at Altamira. At Ribadesella you can take time out and actually go into the cave of Tito Bustillo, but you would have to book ahead.
Also in Ribadesella the church of Santa Maria Magdalena has a wonderful painted ceiling. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Attachments

• painted ceiling.jpg
    painted ceiling.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 955
Plus if you are doing the Camino in two week stretches, then the resulting change of airports each time allows for a different big town/city to explore each time. Bilbao for the Guggenheim, Vitoria for churches and the old town, etc. Plus if you are coming a long way, dont forget Madrid's galleries, seeing Guernica by Picasso was a huge highlight for me on our last trip out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
.... and you can see a mosaic replica of Picasso's "Gernika" in Gernika itself! Janet

and a wonderful Henry Moore in Gernika. Bilbao has a museum of fine art which I preferred to what was in the Guggenheim, although its an amazing building.
Santillana has a wonderful church and musuem of Jose Otero sculpture (the albergue is in it's grounds)

yup - there's loads of wonderful art on the Norte!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back