• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Article by Nancy Frey about the rise of Korean pilgrims on the Camino

Marc S.

Time of past OR future Camino
Some in Spain, Portugal, Germany and Netherlands
Anthropologist Nancy Frey, writer of the 1998 book 'Pilgrim Stories. On and Off the Road to Santiago' (which will be published in Korean soon) has also just published a very interesting article about how and why the camino became popular in South Korea. Hope some of you find this interesting as well.

The link is here: https://www.walkingtopresence.com/home/advice/korean-edition-of-pilgrim-stories

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Enjoyed reading your work in progress article, thank you! I'm currently walking and from behind attempting with various degrees of success guess that the walker in front is S.Korean then find myself apologising when discover their Japanese. Think the Japanese are becoming tiresome of being mistaken for Korean 🤠

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you, very interesting article! Nice to read, I have always wondered why I met so many Koreans on the Camino, Korea is so far away. The article explains it very well

Enjoyed reading your work in progress article, thank you! I'm currently walking and from behind attempting with various degrees of success guess that the walker in front is S.Korean then find myself apologising when discover their Japanese. Think the Japanese are becoming tiresome of being mistaken for Korean 🤠
On my first Camino 2013 I did the opposite and wished a Korean couple good morning in Japanese only having to apologise when they politely corrected me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anthropologist Nancy Frey, writer of the 1998 book 'Pilgrim Stories. On and Off the Road to Santiago' (which will be published in Korean soon) has also just published a very interesting article about how and why the camino became popular in South Korea. Hope some of you find this interesting as well.

The link is here: https://www.walkingtopresence.com/home/advice/korean-edition-of-pilgrim-stories
My good friend, Fr Conrad/Pius in the Benedictine monastery in Rabanal (we were colleagues for many years in Kenya) told me that one of those recent authors, Kim Nam-Hee I would guess, but I am not certain, wrote her book while staying in the monastery in Rabanal. They are a foundation of St Ottilien Monastery in Bavaria. They have foundations in East Africa, famously in Tanzania, but also in Kenya and in (originally North) Korea, but now with 9 foundations in South Korea. This explains the author’s connection with Rabanal. I don’t think they would be looking to take any credit for the (wonderful) interest in the Camino in Korea. But I think tangentially they could! 😇

I once asked a Korean pilgrim in Santo Domingo de la Calzada why the camino is popular among Koreans. She paused, as if she had never thought about this before, and finally replied simply, “Well, Paulo Coelho is very popular in Korea.”

And from the linked article, hey presto!

But a major factor was the power of the written word by an international author: Brazilian spiritual, self-help author Paolo Coelho.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walked at the end of the Frances in June 2018 with Marco and Christine(father and daughter) who were originally from Korea but had been living on Vancouver Island for many years. Marco had lost his sight 10 years earlier so Christina guided him with Marco holding the end of a hiking pole from SJPDP to Santiago.

Both inspirational, met plenty of other Korean pilgrims along the way and all of them polite and great fun.

Thank you for sharing this interesting article! As a pilgrim and a hospitalera, I have met many Korean pilgrims along The Way and enjoyed all of them. As a hospitalera in Bercianos I had many offers from Korean women to help me with the cooking, serving and cleaning up the communal meal. Most of my photos of Korean pilgrims have them flashing the peace sign, and as mentioned, found most to be very polite. Wanted to share a gift from a beautiful Korean family, "Ari-Ari" which they translate in English as "making a road where there is no road" (sound familiar?) used to "cheer on teams or support one's passion..." The attached photo is from the pilgrim board in the foyer of Bercianos Albergue Parochial.
Ultreia! elle ❤ ✌

Attachments

• IMG_6622.JPG
    IMG_6622.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for a great read @Marc S.
I love all the history and learning how/where a new subculture/motivations is fitting into the Camino story.
And how with each successive mode of communication, the walking demographics changes (word of mouth, books and newspapers, radio, TV, internet, and now social media)

When I walked the CF in 2012 I met several groups of Korean pilgrims but often they tended to walk and dine together with their fellow countrymen. I think part of the barrier at that time was language. I did meet one young woman who was engaging and delightful. When I asked why there were so many Koreans on the CdS she replied, "A Korean woman who walked the Camino wrote a book about her experience. It is very popular in Korea. There are now many books and TV programs about The Way in South Korea. It has become 'a dream for many' to walk this pilgrimage." Just like the excellent article by Nancy Frey tells us.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On my third day on the Camino this May, near Riego de Ambros near Molinaseca, I met a South Korean woman. We started chatting and found some common ground. She was very outgoing and entertaining, a passionate Catholic...it was like sparks flew, like I'd found someone special. For the next two weeks, Y. was my Camino Angel. She'd start about 15km ahead of me, but I'd make up the distance since I'd start early and she'd start later. It was a game of tortoise-and-hare. We shared special times together, and remain in contact.

A treasured story. We wanted to get together one more time before we went our separate ways. We decided to meet at the chapel in the Pilgrim's Office for the 9:30am English Mass on a Monday. Naturally, I was there way early, like 8:45am. I hung around until about 9:25am, and Y. hadn't appeared. So I went in the chapel and found a seat. Now, I'm completely Protestant, and have little familiarity with Catholic Mass. Mass started, and they have a ritual where each pilgrim introduces him/herself...where they're from, where they started. They come to me, and I say "I'm K. from Phoenix, AZ, I started in Leon and arrived yesterday. I was moved to attend Mass by a South Korean woman I met on the Camino." Low murmur throughout the crowd. Introductions finish, and suddenly the back door opens. I turn around, and my jaw hits the floor. It's Y., my Camino Angel. She sits four rows in front of me, and we're singing "Amazing Grace." The whole situation hits me...I'm in Mass, we're singing "Amazing Grace," and my Angel is here. It's too much...I start crying. Later, it's time for Communion. People start lining up, and Y. comes four rows back to where I'm seated. She says "Get in line. When you get to the priest, put your hands on your shoulders to show you don't want Communion." At this point I'm thinking, just do what she says...she knows what she's doing, don't mess it up. So I get in line and get to the priest, and put my hands on my shoulders as instructed. He blesses me. I'm in a total fog, not believing that this is all happening. Afterwards, Y. tells me, "Your being here personalized the service for me."

I was fortunate that my Camino Angel was South Korean.

I was wondering why there were so many people from Korea. As a “group”, they all have been absolutely lovely!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

A Camino preparation guide has also been translated into Korean and is available on Google as an e-book. “Camino Ready. Backpacks, Boots & (no) Blisters”. So resources are evolving to help them prepare. Lots of positive feedback
Happymark

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back