Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID Article on pilgrims not wearing masks in SdC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, CPo 2016, VDLP[Sev-Các] 2017, VDLP[Các-Sal] 2018

Albert_Hadacek

Young Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Portugues - 2015
Norte - 2016, 2020
Frances - 2018
I have been walking now for four days on the Norte and the reality is, that people do wear masks in big cities and crowded areas, yet if pilgrims or locals walk through a village and there is no one around, you put the mask on your chin and put it back on when you aproach someone.

If people are on a terrace in a restaurant, no one is doing the "I take my mask down only when I drink or put something in my mouth". Everyone takes it down the whole time they sit there.

There is a limit to which you can force people to strictly follow certain rules.

D

Deleted member 91789

I've also been walking the Norte 5 days now, and I do not wear my mask on the remote paths. I feel like I am way too hot when it is on and I'm walking up a 250m hill in the scorching sun. However I have it around my neck at all times for going into town, eating at restaurants and talking to people so it's not uncomfortable for others. So far in the albergues.. people half wear it when then introduce themselves then everyone just ends up taking it off.

LTfit

Veteran Member
I have been walking now for four days on the Norte and the reality is, that people do wear masks in big cities and crowded areas, yet if pilgrims or locals walk through a village and there is no one around, you put the mask on your chin and put it back on when you aproach someone.

If people are on a terrace in a restaurant, no one is doing the "I take my mask down only when I drink or put something in my mouth". Everyone takes it down the whole time they sit there.

There is a limit to which you can force people to strictly follow certain rules.
This is what I have experienced in Castilla y Leon where I live. Pilgrim's are not always compliant I must say and are quick taking off the mask once in the albergue. Since there are so few pilgrims at this time, distancing is not an issue but I am afraid that when then reach Galicia with many more pilgrims that they will continue with this behavior.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
That's not really encouraging although not saying that the problem lies in (foreign) peregrinos. The results are almost devastating already now.

40.000 of bars, restaurants and hotels (13% of them all) closed permanently and the officials expect the number to rise up to 65.000 altogether this year. The association of hoteliers (president Jose Luis Izuel) also expect that the total income could drop for 50% this year which puts in danger between 900.000 and 1,1 mil of work places. Scary. Especially if people don't follow the rules.

Peter Wright

Walking to stay young
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese Porto to Santiago Sept/ Oct (2019)
That's not really encouraging although not saying that the problem lies in (foreign) peregrinos. The results are almost devastating already now.

40.000 of bars, restaurants and hotels (13% of them all) closed permanently and the officials expect the number to rise up to 65.000 altogether this year. The association of hoteliers (president Jose Luis Izuel) also expect that the total income could drop for 50% this year which puts in danger between 900.000 and 1,1 mil of work places. Scary. Especially if people don't follow the rules.
Seems to me that following the rules is what has closed those businesses and put 1million people out of work, not the virus. Same in most countries.

Paul Michetti

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese Sept "2019" Porto to Santiago
Via Francigena May "2021" Siena to Rome (hoping)
Received my Camino mask from the Camino Forum Store yesterday. Took less than a week from where it was shipped from in Germany to Canada. It is made out of light materials so it does not impede the breathing process as much as other models I have tried.

Attachments

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Seems to me that following the rules is what has closed those businesses and put 1million people out of work, not the virus. Same in most countries.
If you like I can always invite you for a visit, social distancing of course, to one of our our regional revalidation centres where patients are now treated for all the side-effects they have to endure after their months on the ICU.
Quite an eyeopener.

Juspassinthrough

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Inglés 2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Camino Aragonés (2023?)
It seems that we have very short memories. So, let me remind those who think "There is a limit to which you can force people to strictly follow certain rules". The people of the EU did a great job of containing CV-19 and you are enjoying the benefits of following certain rules. I live in Dallas, Texas in the United States, one of the global hot spots. We may as well still be under stay at home orders as we were earlier this year because no sensible person is going out much because we never had a mask mandate, it was optional. I would gladly trade places with those walking the Camino in a mask if I could but, I forgot, we're not welcome in the EU and for good reason, we didn't strictly follow certain rules. Enjoy your freedom to be outside walking the Way. Wearing a mask is a very small price to pay for that freedom and for protecting your fellow human beings. Buen Camino my friends, I wish I were there.

D

Deleted member 91789

It seems that we have very short memories. So, let me remind those who think "There is a limit to which you can force people to strictly follow certain rules". The people of the EU did a great job of containing CV-19 and you are enjoying the benefits of following certain rules. I live in Dallas, Texas in the United States, one of the global hot spots. We may as well still be under stay at home orders as we were earlier this year because no sensible person is going out much because we never had a mask mandate, it was optional. I would gladly trade places with those walking the Camino in a mask if I could but, I forgot, we're not welcome in the EU and for good reason, we didn't strictly follow certain rules. Enjoy your freedom to be outside walking the Way. Wearing a mask is a very small price to pay for that freedom and for protecting your fellow human beings. Buen Camino my friends, I wish I were there.
I seen this yesterday, and I'm still thinking about it. I think this is such a well written response, and I truly feel for you. I feel so extremely blessed to be walking on camino soil. I hope you are able to travel soon! Stay classy sir! You are awesome! :)

Juspassinthrough

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Inglés 2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Camino Aragonés (2023?)
Thank you sir, stay well.

I seen this yesterday, and I'm still thinking about it. I think this is such a well written response, and I truly feel for you. I feel so extremely blessed to be walking on camino soil. I hope you are able to travel soon! Stay classy sir! You are awesome! :)

Gingerseed

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances July-Aug 2011
Camino Portugues Oct 2012
Camino Frances starting in Pamplona 2017
Without your health you have nothing!
You can keep all the businesses open but if people are too Sick to go out to hotels, restaraunts and shops to support the economy then it’s useless. Unfortunately it takes this virus to hit close to home before a lot of people realize it exists. I hope that no one has to experience having a loved one die alone in a hospital or care facility. Know anyone who’s been flipped onto their stomache and then onto their backs several times a day while in an induced coma in order to alleviate the the pressure on their lungs and help them to eventually breathe on their own. Then once out of a coma have to deal with learning how to walk again as well as deal with so so many effects.
Wearing a mask just shows you have respect for others and you value life. Small sacrifice in my opinion and something I gladly do here at home or if I were a guest Pilgrem.

mguillen

MGuillen
Camino(s) past & future
Without your health you have nothing!
You can keep all the businesses open but if people are too Sick to go out to hotels, restaraunts and shops to support the economy then it’s useless. Unfortunately it takes this virus to hit close to home before a lot of people realize it exists. I hope that no one has to experience having a loved one die alone in a hospital or care facility. Know anyone who’s been flipped onto their stomache and then onto their backs several times a day while in an induced coma in order to alleviate the the pressure on their lungs and help them to eventually breathe on their own. Then once out of a coma have to deal with learning how to walk again as well as deal with so so many effects.
Wearing a mask just shows you have respect for others and you value life. Small sacrifice in my opinion and something I gladly do here at home or if I were a guest Pilgrem.
Well said

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and back (no name; Tours; Francés; sea; no name)
Compliance ... perhaps useful to actually read the article that is referred to at the start of this thread. It's about the law in Spain. Below are some quotes from the article (Google Translation - what is marked in bold is also marked in bold in the original text). Read until the end and you will learn that there are actually very few pilgrims who are not in compliance when they are in the square in front of the cathedral.

The degree of compliance with the obligation to wear a mask in all public spaces, regardless of whether or not the safety distance can be met, is very high in Santiago. Only two groups remain a little unaware of this degree of commitment and most often break the norm: pilgrims and customers on the terraces of bars and restaurants. Both the National Police and the Local Police have already imposed the first fines, although at the moment they are few, less than a dozen. "We have issued more warnings and recommendations than fines. A citizen who does not wear a face mask is reminded that he must do so and it is normal for him to wear it. However, there is always one who disobeys and shows an inappropriate behavior towards the police agent and it is in these cases that he is always fined", explains an officer.
Nevertheless, as the mayor of Santiago, Xosé Sánchez Bugallo, said again yesterday, it is impossible to control everyone. He appealed once again to personal responsibility [...] "Everyone already knows that the mask is always mandatory, it's time for strict compliance with the law," explained an inspector.
Pilgrims are the ones who most often skip the obligation to wear a mask. [...] That effect is noticeable at the point where the Camino Francés enters Santiago. Virtually no pilgrim wears a mask when leaving Monte do Gozo or in the San Marcos area. However, when entering San Lázaro (= city limits), there are many more who wear it and in the plaza Obradoiro it is rare that the rule is broken.

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Ivar also posted a video clip from a recent walk through the streets of Santiago and you can see that next to everyone wears a face mask. Quote: I took a walk today from Plaza de Platerias to the pilgrims office. Close to 100% of people wearing masks.

Walk.jpg

Last edited:

Albert_Hadacek

Young Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Portugues - 2015
Norte - 2016, 2020
Frances - 2018
What I meant is that you can force people to wear masks in markets etc... But its just not very practical to take it down and on when you eat, drink etc... Those are the corner cases where people will not wear it.

To all fairness, the level to which the Spaniards follow is impressive considering the weather.

Speaking of health, there are million other things people should be doing on daily basis to increase immunity... Sports, mostly plant based diet, whole foods, regular sleep pattern, life work balance etc... That should be the core of every covid debate and not if one pilgrim took off his mask after walking 30km.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
And that is also Santiago ... today, 25 July, on the saint's feast day during the mass in his honour. Just in case someone would happen to think that presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens and archbishops don't wear face masks. The royal couple kept theirs on during the whole mass, except that King Felipe took his mask off during a short address.

Archbishop Barrio (2nd right), King Felipe (1st left), Queen Letizia (2nd left).
Santiago.jpg

D

Deleted member 91789

From what I've seen on the del norte made me give up entirely. Pilgrims are literally begging churches to sleep on their porches. I've seen one pilgrim on the phone begging, and when off the phone said, only "maybe I have a shot". Churches are NOT immune to a global pandemic. I'm not sure what kind of reasoning pilgrims have to think so. it really bothered me that pilgrims are going forward with this option against the churches wishes. From what I have gathered from being here in a highly patrolled Spain, seeing many tickets placed on people without a mask, it is not sanitary to sleep on a church porch. In my personal opinion... it's disrespectful to put a church in that position. Further more.. because of this one pilgrim on this one day.. the news spread like wild fire, as news does on the camino. Every pilgrim I talked to that day after.. 6 total.. heard through the grape vine that the church is letting pilgrims sleep on the porch. Which was not correct. But everyone was making their way to that porch. It's really disheartening.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 91789

This is my first time since 2010 not walking at least one Camiño. I’m glad I’m not walking now if that is how pilgrims ignore the need to keep others safe.
To be fair... I am Canadian.. I like my mask on because the last thing I need is to be stuck in a foreign country across the world indefinitely nursing a disease not covered by ANY insurance right now. So I'm biased. However.... I think it's entirely up to the hosts of albergues and hostels. Some are very strict. Some just check you in and walk away and don't care what happens after. That being said... pilgrims also have a responsibility to follow the covid rules without supervision... but unfortunately they are not. I had one pilgrim choose to sleep right beside me on a side by side bunk bed, because the plug was there..... :s. Clearly a charged phone is more important than a virus -_-. Ignorant pilgrims fault, or the albergues fault for not checking in and assigning beds ?? I dunno.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Speaking of health, there are million other things people should be doing on daily basis to increase immunity... Sports, mostly plant based diet, whole foods, regular sleep pattern, life work balance etc.
I would imagine that the indigenous peoples of the Americas followed that kind of lifestyle, but they were still decimated by the introduction of the small pox virus to which they had no immunity.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances: March 2013
Le Puy: July 2015
Portugues: April 2018
La Plata: March 2020-to be continued
It seems that we have very short memories. So, let me remind those who think "There is a limit to which you can force people to strictly follow certain rules".
Well said...from one of your fellow “Excluded” in California. I am dying to return to Spain to continue my VDLP pilgrimage, since we had to leave in April due to Covid-19. Despite this, I also agree that we in the US deserve to be excluded. I hope Spain takes every precaution; if that means excluding those countries that did not heed the warning and follow medical guidelines...so be it. Maybe next year!...only if we wise up!

Bristle boy

If not now...when? If not you...who?...........
Camino(s) past & future
A shame that an image posted recently showed a line of pilgrims waiting to receive their compostela showed a high percentage not wearing masks. Perhaps it is only when told to wear them they will..
Better late than never.

Albert_Hadacek

Young Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Portugues - 2015
Norte - 2016, 2020
Frances - 2018
I would imagine that the indigenous peoples of the Americas followed that kind of lifestyle, but they were still decimated by the introduction of the small pox virus to which they had no immunity.
Firstly, we are not decimated by COVID, the people from the west are decimated by cancer, diabetes and cardiovascualar problems. Those are the real issues.

Secondly, if we have no vaccine, the best way to fight the disease or avoid it is to increase your own immunity in general and the most effective way to do it are those I mentioned, its been scientifically proven many times. Yet, no pharma/insurence/hospital company makes money out of it so it's not widely spread.

Thirdly, this whole thread has become a mess. Taking stories of individuals to portrait the Camino and spread hysteria for no reason.

This forum is created by content from pilgrims, we are not paid for the sensations and negative news like real media.

I am currently on the Camino Primitivo and 99% of the time everything goes smoothly based on the norms. There were few people not following the norms yet that will always happen in any scenario. We all break some rules

Are there albergues where people wear no masks? Yes, mostly albergues with no more than 8 people who all agreed to do it. Is it dangerous? Potentially yes, yet a single visit to a supermarket or a mall wearing whatever is definitely way more risky than a few healthy people talking in a garden, having a comun dinner or sleaping in one room.

I always come to this forum for a piece of advice, inspiration or just interesting information, yet lately these debates are just full of pseudo-moralistic stands from people who became self-proclaimed experts on COVID from watching too much TV and the situation on the Camino while living thousands of miles away.

We are currently in an albergue with a doctor and a nurse from Barcelona... just as an example. They also wear the masks only when needed aka big cities and indoor public spaces while not eating.

It is literally spreading fake news as most of what has been said is not reflecting anything that's currently happening on the Camino.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I don’t even know what to make of the direction this thread has gone. But whatever we think about cancer, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases in relation to covid, I see no good argument in defense of violating the mask requirements as established by the duly elected representatives who make the rules. So I think the best thing to do is to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock