• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Artists on the Camino del Norte?

SelmaC

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del norte, september 2012
Hi there!

I heard there are a lot of artists (painters) living on the northern coast of Spain. That's an important motivation for me to choose the Camino del Norte. Only, I am not sure whether this rumor that I heard is actually true. So I would like to ask anyone that has already done the Camino del Norte! Did there live artists in the villages you crossed? Or shouldn't that be one of the reasons to choose the Camino del Norte (instead of the Frances)?

Thank you!
Greetings,
Selma

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Selma,
I think you will have to seek out any artists living on the Norte! They are certainly not in evidence when you just walk through. I have stayed in Llanes (Cantabria) for rest days and in passing through for the last 4 years without seeing anyone out sketching - apart from my wife. It is certainly not like St. Ives in Cornwall, UK where one cannot walk without falling over an easel :) If you choose to stay in the odd Pension / Hostal then the owners may be a source of info.
Whatever - enjoy your camino

buen Camino
Tio Tel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
:oops: Perdoname! Sorry I knew that. What we call 'a senior moment'

Hi Selma,
Not sure if this info applies as it's been a while since your post. I walked the Camino Frances last year and the year beofre and just fell upon an amazing artist. His name is Antonio and found on the old Roman tack between Triacastela and Sarria. As a rough estimate he must be about an hour or so before Sarria,there is a small sign that says Cafe Alchemista offering tea and coffee and crystal gallery, if you follow that it means going 500 meters off route but it's really worth it.
Antonio during the summer lives in a huge stone house, sat alone in the middle of nowhere. He is doing some amazing artwork using pulverised crystal to create the most unusual pictures.Although the word pictures don't really seem apt for his peices. Some he hangs with a light behind which has a most wonderful effect.The thing I found interesting is the transformation. I am in to crystals and was in complete sync with his abilty to transform a union of energies from various crystal and transform them in to pieces that speak to our subconcious, all his work is around sacred symbols. A true alchemist. In a chamber on the ground floor he has a meditation room and welcomes anyone to take time to reflect there.
He prepares his own crystals by using a hand mortar,hours of work to crush so little.
Antonio is an unassuming gentle man that often has an apprentice with him that can help with communication with pilgrims. He offers a simple cup of tea or coffee and if a tired pilgrim is tired and in need of a peaceful night he will even let you stay the night. A most aimable man with depth and egoless. Definately a place to find inspiration and if the fancy takes you can make arrangements to spend time and share in his craft.

Apart from finding him I didn't see any other artist's, all tucked away doing their thing I guess. But that one find was magical for me.
As I said this maybe too late for you,if so I hope you enjoyed the journey.
Tijax

After Lugo on the Del Norte you pass through Baamonde, where a really interesting artist has his sculpture garden and studio open to visitors during the high season... or he did have a couple of years ago when I was there last.

A day´s walk down the path, in the wooded village just before Miraz, is a stone carver of some note. You will see his work out along the camino and at the entrance to his house/studio. He is very pilgrim-friendly, even has a cool sello.

Sorry I can´t recall the names... This is the only stretch of the Norte I know.

The Norte farther east has a real artistic sensibility in its public places. Near Guernica is "the painted forest," a really cool contemporary work set among the trees. Santander (or is it San Seb?) has huge sculptural cubes set along the harborside stones. Bilbao, of course, has that fabulous Guggenheim museum, as well as a very good "fine arts" museum. At Santillana del Mar are the amazing cave paintings at Altamira (and the real deal in the caves just a bus ride more south).. but I am sure you know all this already.

Reb.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back