• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arzua

Travelite

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino beginning September 2018
Arrived in Arzua while doing the SJPDP camino sometime in October 2018, Dragging my body like an injured animal - that's how exhausted I was. My Albergue, to make things worse, was situated on the furthest end of the town. The Albergue door was wide open, but no one manning the desk. I promptly dropped my backpack and slumped into the nearest chair. On the desk was a propped up note, can't recall anything on it except, "I LOVE YOU ALL". I sat and waited for an hour then I heard movement from within and seconds later two ladies entered the reception area. One went straight for the street door but the other lagged a little and I asked, ARE YOU THE MANAGER?. She gave a friendly laugh and said, NO, WE'RE PILGRIMS. WE'VE BEEN HERE FOR THREE HOURS ALREADY STILL NO ONE HAS COME, SO WE SHOWERED AND MADE OURSELVES AT HOME!!! GO AHEAD, SHOWER AND MAKE YOURSELF AT HOME. So I did. Hours later(I had fallen asleep on my chosen bunk) a sudden noise woke me - the manager had finally arrived!!! Just wondering if this "empty Albergue" has happened to any other pilgrim.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wondering if this "empty Albergue" has happened to any other pilgrim.

Not that particular albergue in Arzua but certainly in other places. Most recently in Olveiroa on the route to Fisterra. I arrived to find the hospitalera's office closed but the dormitories open. People just found themselves a bed and got on with life as normal until the hospitalera turned up at 7pm to register people and stamp their credencials. When the Caminos were much quieter it was not at all unusual for albergues to be left unlocked and for someone to call around later in the evening on the off-chance that they had pilgrims staying. Happens far less often these days.

Yes, in Hornillos. It took us hours to find anyone, they were all working in the bar.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hi, yes, often. As @Bradypus says the hospitalero will come in about 6 or 7pm to check everyone in. On the Salvador last year there were only 2 of us in the albergue. We were both sorting ourselves out, going from the dorm to the showers to the common room to the kitchen, etc, when he came in and gave us a good telling off for having all the lights on. He then went round and switched them all off, and the heater in the dorm. I immediately switched that back on when he left – it was freezing – it had been snowing the day before. I switched it off when I got into bed. But, yeah, in other words, make yourself at home!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, in Dumbria. There was a note to choose a bunk and that the hospitalero/a would be there later to check us in. Apparently she came and then left again while I was at dinner. But not to worry! She came back after I was in bed and woke me to register and pay!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Happend to me in Melide. The albergue run by and behind the Ezequel Pulperia ....nice people wonderful meal! That Pulperia is always busy so shower, take your valuables, make yourself at home go over for dinner let someone know you are there...they will get there eventually to check you in.

Attachments

• 5DCA67D2-8DDC-43EA-A5E0-6A1ABC19A799.jpeg
    5DCA67D2-8DDC-43EA-A5E0-6A1ABC19A799.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 2E682244-F45A-4281-9EDA-4436665299C8.jpeg
    2E682244-F45A-4281-9EDA-4436665299C8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • EB0D17FA-7B80-47A2-897A-DDB30A476715.jpeg
    EB0D17FA-7B80-47A2-897A-DDB30A476715.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
In Curcubion after Cee ( En route to Finistere) a tiny albergue slept 14. We had reserved and the message was there would be two beds (/bottom bunks) with sea view! Exactly as described.
Door to street wide open. A notice told others to choose their bed and put on the reserved notice. There was a phone number for the person in charge , he ran a Posada close by. He later appeared to check us in after I phoned re our luggage transfer ( which had been delivered to the Posada). All ok.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I stayed at the municipal albergue in Sahagun there was no staff on duty. Thanks to Brierley, I knew that it was located in a former church which it shared with the tourist office. When I looked in at the tourist office later, a woman on duty at the desk checked me in. The next morning as I was leaving, another woman was arriving at the building to do the cleaning. There did not seem to be any other staff but it was comfortable enough, with all necessary services available in town.

As @Kiwi-family has noted, elsewhere.

I encountered this manner quite often between Le Puy and Saint-Jean, especially with the municipal gite. On one occassion saw no one during my entire stay. But did find the tin that held the stamp and ink pad for my credential.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back