• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

as I prepare to arrive soon.....

pazitive

Time of past OR future Camino
i plan to walk in late august 2016
can someone help me figure out the train systems in Spain? I will be landing in Madrid airport on August 25
at 7am and plan on taking the 11:00am train to Pamplona. Should I buy the ticket online in advance,
or can I buy them at the train station? I noticed that the online tickets non-refundable unless I take the more expensive option. thank you for your time and suggestions in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Given your time appreciation I would recommend you buy them at the station. 4 hours should be enough, however I have been on flights delayed longer than that. Often enough to call it this way.

The tactic might result in a problem at the ticket line at the train station. It can get long. However, there are ticket machines that go unused ...

You can buy a train ticket in terminal T-4 in Madrid at the entrance to the Cercanias train, which is a free train connection to Atocha or Chamartin when you buy your Madrid to Pamplona ticket. I bought an advance ticket, and my plane was late. No refunds!! It is very rare that a train is sold out, so you have to balance that remote chance against the chance that your plane or luggage will be late (almost a certainty these days).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If your flight arrives on time, you should have enough time to make the connection.

If you book your train ticket from Madrid to Pamplona online well in advance, you might get one of the discounted fares available. But, as it seems you are already aware, they are non-refundable or non-fully-refundable, depending on the specific fare.

You can book the train ticket once in Madrid but you'll have to pay full fare and wait the queue.

There are several daily direct trains from Madrid to Pamplona as well as some options changing trains along the route so if the train you planned to take was full, you shouldn't have problems to make it in other train(s).

Hi, another option, if you have the time and inclination: book an advance ticket for the next day, and enjoy a full 24 hours exploring Madrid. Jill

Given your time appreciation I would recommend you buy them at the station. 4 hours should be enough, however I have been on flights delayed longer than that. Often enough to call it this way.

The tactic might result in a problem at the ticket line at the train station. It can get long. However, there are ticket machines that go unused ...
thank you. yes the flight delays are too popular this time of the year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, another option, if you have the time and inclination: book an advance ticket for the next day, and enjoy a full 24 hours exploring Madrid. Jill

Thank you, jill. I thought about staying in Madrid but decided to avoid the city tourism and stay the first night closer to SJPDP. I'll have to come back for Madrid in another trip.

You can buy a train ticket in terminal T-4 in Madrid at the entrance to the Cercanias train, which is a free train connection to Atocha or Chamartin when you buy your Madrid to Pamplona ticket. I bought an advance ticket, and my plane was late. No refunds!! It is very rare that a train is sold out, so you have to balance that remote chance against the chance that your plane or luggage will be late (almost a certainty these days).

Thank you for the information is it a ticket machine or cashier?

If your flight arrives on time, you should have enough time to make the connection.

If you book your train ticket from Madrid to Pamplona online well in advance, you might get one of the discounted fares available. But, as it seems you are already aware, they are non-refundable or non-fully-refundable, depending on the specific fare.

You can book the train ticket once in Madrid but you'll have to pay full fare and wait the queue.

There are several daily direct trains from Madrid to Pamplona as well as some options changing trains along the route so if the train you planned to take was full, you shouldn't have problems to make it in other train(s).

Thank you Castilian.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back