• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD As of 2 April CDC guidance for USA travelers

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Don’t know if posted already but thought I would share this :
Mods please move if thread is in wrong location

Edited to include:

2nd edit to include Spain specific

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes. but we-will need an approved Covid 19 test to return home! Wondering if airlines themselves in major hubs abroad will set up Covid test locations in airports inorder to make return trans-atlantic flight easier.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes. but we-will need an approved Covid 19 test to return home! Wondering if airlines themselves in major hubs abroad will set up shop to make trans-atlantic flight easier.
Hmm, I think I can envisage how thats going to go:

Flight: €50
Luggage: €50
Seat pre-book (compulsory): €50
Covid-19 Test (also compulsory): €500

Oh, and all non-refundable naturally

Hopefully not that much😆😆😆 and I won the lottery by getting the first piece of luggage at no charge🤣🤣

Last edited:
What I read mostly referred to travel within the US.

Sorry I forgot to add the URL for spain specific.I have edited to include that page. There is also links on the left side one to locate clinics for testing ...did not try it myself

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes. but we-will need an approved Covid 19 test to return home! Wondering if airlines themselves in major hubs abroad will set up Covid test locations in airports inorder to make return trans-atlantic flight easier.

I just heard on local SoCal news fully vaccinated will not have to quarantine upon returning home.

I just heard on local SoCal news fully vaccinated will not have to quarantine upon returning home.

Yes, Thankfully, we won’t have to quarantine but we will, as of today’s CDC release, still need a Covid 19 approved test before departing Spain to return home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Iberia‘s webpage indicates that covid tests are available in all provincial capitals.It has a partnership with what I think is a private lab. PCR test 90 €. Rapid test 40 €. Appointments required.

https://www.iberia.com/es/en/covid-19/test-pcr-quiron/

The CDC’s requirements about what kind of covid test results it accepts are a bit complicated, but I think the bottom line is that you would need to get the 90€ test 3 days before departure.

Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

At this point, this is more a topic of entertainment and distraction since Spain is not open to us, but it’s fun to dream.

Don’t know if posted already but thought I would share this :
Mods please move if thread is in wrong location

Edited to include:

2nd edit to include Spain specific
Yes I was reading this on the CDC website yesterday. Still must test within 3 days of flight to US arrival. Recommendation of test repeat after being at home 3-5 days.
But yes, the question is traveling from the US to overseas. Who will have us?
Saw Italy is doing 3-day lock down now over Easter--and (well-off) people are getting around it by staying on cruise ships or yachts off the Italian coast.
"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thank you for this link. I am a bit confused. The above seems to suggest that the Quick antigen testing is not acceptable to the airlines, but CDC appears to be saying that it is??

Am I misunderstanding this? Or, has The CDC newest guidelines now changed and would this quick antigen test be acceptable for those US vaccinated citizens returning totheUSA?

I would hope this test would be-acceptable because when I read the caveats regarding when the PCR test would be-ready... I lack confidence that we would actually receive results in a timely fashion. And of course, receiving results on the expected date is critical to boarding one’s flight home.

PCR results Caveat....
The result in 24 hours is an estimated period that may vary depending on the volume of tests in the hospital / center and the non-working days.

Last edited:
There appears to be a testing site in SdC. I can imagine how inundate it would be for testing requests! I was hoping that a rapid testing site would open right at Madrid-airport where one could make an appointment for a rapid test.

Another problem, right now there is something I read about the vaccine certifications only lasting 6 months...which means that by the time some of us who have now been vaccinated can travel to Spain, our immunity period may be expired.

Example: I received my second shot of Pfizer ( which btw is 100 percent affective against the S.African Virus) in the second week of March. Six months of immunity only brings me to mid September. If I have a Sep. Camino planned then I will need a booster...and fat chance of getting one by then. What I hope for is that Pfizer will determine that immunity will last a bit longer....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for this link. I am a bit confused. The above seems to suggest that the Quick antigen testing is not acceptable to the airlines, but CDC appears to be saying that it is??

Am I misunderstanding this? Or, has The CDC newest guidelines now changed and would this quick antigen test be acceptable for those US vaccinated citizens returning totheUSA?

I would hope this test would be-acceptable because when I read the caveats regarding when the PCR test would be-ready... I lack confidence that we would actually receive results in a timely fashion. And of course, receiving results on the expected date is critical to boarding one’s flight home.

PRC results Caveat....
The result in 24 hours is an estimated period that may vary depending on the volume of tests in the hospital / center and the non-working days.
Just so, Marbe2. It is confusing and I suppose in a couple of months when there are more people vaccinated that it will have changed another three times. Antigen or PCR??? For the moment, as close as I can figure, CDC means check with the foreign country you are entering (e.g., Spain) for their current requirements, and what the airline says when one is flying out and then returning home. Maybe CDC figures the airlines know more than they do what is mandated in the US!😜
I imagine we have forum folk who know more.
Thankfully, I have a few more months to sweat it out before I need to be sure what the various countries require. Or even if I will be allowed into a foreign country.

Another problem, right now there is something I read about the vaccine certifications only lasting 6 months...which means that by the time some of us who have now been vaccinated can travel to Spain, our immunity period may be expired.

Example: I received my second shot of Pfizer ( which btw is 100 percent affective against the S.African Virus) in the second week of March. Six months of immunity only brings me to mid September. If I have a Sep. Camino planned then I will need a booster...and fat chance of getting one by then. What I hope for is that Pfizer will determine that immunity will last a bit longer....
Me too!!!

I have had similar thoughts, and I remember @trecile was chuckling on some other thread that she was now happy to be getting her vaccine later, presumably closer to the date of possible travel.

I think that some of the uncertainty stems from the fact that they don’t have data about how long the immunity lasts because people didn’t start getting it till such a short time ago. I am sure they are conducting more trials with their vaccinated groups, though the first one was based on data only three months after vaccination. I think, though I may be wrong, that it’s not so much a thought that immunity won’t last that long as it is a lack of knowledge about how long it lasts, given how long it’s been around.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
we rI have a flight booked for Sevilla for mid October. Since it is still 6 months away I won’t sweat it now. Things as we all know are to say the least fluid.

I am thinking the same thing. I was lucky to get my 2nd Pfizer jab at the beginning of February (that's 'cos I'm old!) so will I be due for a booster by mid summer?

I have had similar thoughts, and I remember @trecile was chuckling on some other thread that she was now happy to be getting her vaccine later, presumably closer to the date of possible travel.

I think that some of the uncertainty stems from the fact that they don’t have data about how long the immunity lasts because people didn’t start getting it till such a short time ago. I am sure they are conducting more trials with their vaccinated groups, though the first one was based on data only three months after vaccination. I think, though I may be wrong, that it’s not so much a thought that immunity won’t last that long as it is a lack of knowledge about how long it lasts, given how long it’s been around.

That is what I, too, am hoping!

Actually, there is recent data from Pfizer indicating that the Vaccine was still 90 percent plus effective after 6 months! However,there is no data about other vaccines. A vaccine passport could manage the data and distinguish different requirements.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

PCR results Caveat....
I hesitate to reply because I am NOT an expert on this issue. But, I did read the following yesterday when I posted.

"Two types of viral tests can be used: nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) and antigen tests."

Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (NAATs)
NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:
Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)

Interim Guidance for Antigen Testing for SARS-CoV-2

It will be become clearer at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later!

[edited to insert a missing word]

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

With rate of vaccination speeding up in the US I have been able to receive my first Pfizer shot.

Actually, there is recent data from Pfizer indicating that the Vaccine was still 90 percent plus effective after 6 months! However,there is no data about other vaccines. A vaccine passport could manage the data and distinguish different requirements.

It will be become clearer at some, hopefully sooner rather than later!

I don't think that we can know any sooner than however long the first test subjects have been vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back