• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ascents and descents of the Sanabres route

Cambridge Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Part walked / part cycled September 2014 SJPdP to SdC
Walked SJPdP to SdC summer 2017
I’m considering Salamanca to SdC next year. Can anyone who has done the Sanabres route and the Frances comment on the ups and downs in Galicia on Sanabres using Frances as a benchmark? Ups... how do they compare to Pyrenees and climb to O’Cebreiro (La Faba)? Downs... how do they compare to the descent to Roncesvalles or Molinaesca?

Thoughts much appreciated. Muchas gracias.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m considering Salamanca to SdC next year. Can anyone who has done the Sanabres route and the Frances comment on the ups and downs in Galicia on Sanabres using Frances as a benchmark? Ups... how do they compare to Pyrenees and climb to O’Cebreiro (La Faba)? Downs... how do they compare to the descent to Roncesvalles or Molinaesca?

Thoughts much appreciated. Muchas gracias.
I think there are generally more ups and downs on Sanabres in comparison to the same length of the route on Frances but can't really say that they are tougher.
Best to do comparison here if you click "Ver perfil de la etapa" under the map for each Camino/stage:
https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances
https://www.gronze.com/via-plata ("Desde Salamanca" and then "Por Sanabria")

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

Climbing starts after Puebla de Sanabria, so you have some days of trainig before.

I can remember, that there was a very long and demanding ascent after Puebla de Sanabria (something similar to O´Cebreiro) and then a narrow path down to Lubián, but nothing terrific. For this purpose, next time I plan to stop in Requejo rather than in Puebla de Sanabria.

Lubián to A Gudina could be compared to Rabanal-Riego d'Ambros on Camino Francés.

Next day to Laza is also some hills and rather long, but still doable (my parents were 75 and 69 when they walked with me in 2010). The only steep downhill section is to Campobecerros, that could be compared to Riego d'Ambros to Molinaseca. But you can stay on the forrest track (recommended alternative route for cyclists) which is slightly longer.
Very good pilgrims menu in restaurante "A Picota" in Laza.

Next morning some climbing to Albergaría, but then you have earned a coffee and a bocadillo in "El Rincón de Peregrino".

The day out of Ourense we took the left route. It is rather steep at the beginning, but still ok in the early morning hours.

In the public albergue in Castro-Dózon there was the offer of a nearby Restaurant "Parillada Don Antonio" for a pilgrims menue. They fetched us by car. It was the best dinner we had on the whole camino.

Enjoy your camino

Alexandra

It just shows how different we experience the various Caminos. I have walked the Sanabres three times and except for the short steep climb up to Albergueria (cafe with all the shells) and out of Ourense I don't remember any climbs and the only notable descent was the very short drop into Campobecceros which was awful at the time because of all the construction going on and trucks but nothing compared to the long descent into el Acebo and Molinaseca which I did twice this past year so I remember it well!

Thanks all! Very helpful indeed. You rock!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back