• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Asissi to the Vatican

StefaniedeBeer

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino to the Vatican in April with my father who is 79.
Hi, I am struggling to find information about the section of the route from Asissi to the Vatican. Me and my Dad (who is 79) will attempt the section in April. Please could someone give some advice on the route from Assisi to the Vatican. 🙏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Search on the forum here for Via Francesco: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/via-di-francesco.57338/#post-773799 . Here is a website also: https://www.viadifrancesco.it/en/via-di-francesco-st-francis-way-pilgrimage-route. Sandy Brown has a book: The Way of St. Frances and a facebook page with information. There is an Italian guide translated into English: On the Road with Saint Francis which has the trail from Assisi to Poggio Bustone (It can easily be ordered from Italy. I have the 2nd edition. The Italian is now in its 3rd edition. Don't order it from Amazon which is showing a $900 price! Here is a copy on Abebooks: https://www.abebooks.com/9788861892477/road-saint-Francis-350-Verna-8861892477/plp).
My wife and I are planning to walk to Assisi from Città di Castello and then take the train to Rieti to walk to Rome next April.

Last edited:
Fantastic John! I will follow your suggestions! Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello @StefaniedeBeer

As part of a longer journey I followed the VF di San Francesco from Assisi via Rieti to Rome (September, 2013). It took 14 days to walk from Assisi to Rome. Temperatures were high. The scenery was superb. Each day I walked as far as able then set about finding somewhere to sleep. I walked without internet access or a GPS using whatever information I found along the way.

Afterwards I put together a little resource with useful links, stages walked, places to enquire about accommodation, guide books etc. Most of the information is still valid:

Stages: Scroll down a little to find Assisi to Rome:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/italy-accommodation-2013.320/ [download to view]

Maps etc:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ssana-turinese-via-assisi-rome-to-bari.32023/

Assisi to Rieti: In Assisi I visited the tourist office and acquired a map with profiles. Signing between Assisi and Rieti was sun scorched and inadequate at times. Leaving Assisi, I climbed up to the Ermitage and followed the Sentiero 50 & 60. The views were stunning. The pink villages of Umbria are exquisite.

Rieti to Rome: In Rieti I visited the Rieti Tourist Department opposite the Duomo. Here I was given a spiral bound tourist booklet of the VF di SF which included maps. Signing was problematic between Poggio San Lorenzo and Rome.

Happy Planning!
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Thank you so much! These will help a lot! Much appreciated!

I agree with Lovingkindness about the signage outside Poggio San Lorenzo. I hiked that route in 2018 and the signs did indeed stop making things very confusing since i'd no guidebook. At a junction i'd no idea which way to go so tried both ways a bit before turning back to retrace to the last sign spotted. Luckily i came across a local who gave me directions. Without meeting him i may have wandered the countryside completely lost as there were a number of roads to choose from. From that point on there were no more signs till entering Rome itself.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is a lovely route.
I complete the route in February which is not when I would go, due to the wide closer of the hostels, but that is an event for February only as I learned after I was on the road.

I used both the Sandy Brown book: The Way of St. Frances with GPS tracks, loaded on my GPS, and Angela Maria Seracchioli book: On the road with Saint Francis (link)(this is the new copy in English) in my map holder, they didn't have a same route but I was able to read about differences on the routes and picked the one best for me, the two routes intercepted about every 10km when they separated. I also picked up a set of maps to for the last section to Rome that were great, I will pull them out tomorrow. to find a link for them. I didn't use the hostels but had no problems in finding rooms day of, with bookings.com. Lots of farm roads and paved road.

Please note that I went by bicycle not walking expect for the deep mud pushing.

Last edited:
Hi, I am struggling to find information about the section of the route from Asissi to the Vatican. Me and my Dad (who is 79) will attempt the section in April. Please could someone give some advice on the route from Assisi to the Vatican. 🙏

I thing I picked up on the are the map flip books in Provincia di Rieti I picked up Piediluco>Reiti and Rieti>Roma and I believe that there was a third book of Assi>Piediluco when I didn't grab as I was already at Piediluco. They were free from the office of tourism. They say cammini di fede on them and La via di Roma La Via Francigena di San Francesco
Websites listed on them are
www.apt.rieti.it
www.camminodifnceso.it
www.viafrancigenadisanfancesco.com

I can take photos of a days route in the flip book if you would like.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back