• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Asquins and Saint-Père-sous-Vézelay

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
The Pilgrim finally arrives in Vezelay but it is so difficult to actually set out. First of all the amazing Basilique Sainte Marie-Madeleine which should be visited in the early morning hours, during the afternoon, at sunset, and in the dark of night. Before setting out, do consider a walk down, how can you leave the Eternal Hill without actually seeing it from it's best perspective! A most pleasant and beautiful walk down and around Vezelay leads to Saint-Père 30 minutes+-. While there pop into the Église Notre-Dame de Saint-Père, then coffee and back up the hill - not done yet.
2-3 kilometers the other direction from Vezelay is Asquins, the traditional starting point before Vezelay. Asquins lies at the foot of the hill of Vézelay. The village holds many surprises, such as ancient barns, fortified farms of the XVII century and a wash house with a paved floor and beautiful frame supported by a square base. There are also several “colombiers” and winegrowers' houses, whilst the surrounding area is scattered with dozens of winegrowers’ huts. Best of all, the church of Saint Jacques le Majeur which is classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and stands on a promontory that overlooks the village. Inside, you will find the reliquary bust of St Jacques from the 16th century, the woodwork of the 18th century and the Romanesque frescoes of the sacristy. From Vézelay, from the Porte Neuve, the road that leads to Asquins is a pretty walk of about 3 kilometers.
Vezelay to Santiago is say 1500 kilometers? No need to rush andrun about. Do this Camino properly

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Asquins with the church of Saint Jacques le Majeur left and Vézelay up the hill on the right. Mind you, the climb to Vézelay will leave you wanting for a cold drink. Of which there are plenty when you get there, fortunately.

2016-04-20-13.29.27.jpg

Vezelay, which has been one "love of my life" ever since university days is almost in our Champagne backyard; only 220 km away over hill and dale. Mid November 2008 I walked there from our farm hoping to continue on to Santiago. You can read about that attempted journey here.

_D3A7140.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Asquins with the church of Saint Jacques le Majeur left and Vézelay up the hill on the right. Mind you, the climb to Vézelay will leave you wanting for a cold drink. Of which there are plenty when you get there, fortunately.

View attachment 31601
April 2014, freezing cold, didn't mind the climb back as it kept me warm until I returned to Vezelay for what the Italians call café apropiada the Spanish carajillo, saved my life!

Vezelay, which has been one "love of my life" ever since university days is almost in our Champagne backyard; only 220 km away over hill and dale. Mid November 2008 I walked there from our farm hoping to continue on to Santiago. You can read about that attempted journey here.

MS, I have come to greatly admire you and the joy of the Camino you bring in every post here. Though I have come to appreciate so many pilgrims I have come to know you are the one I would have most like to have met along the Way. God bless you and may you and yours be embraced in peace and health.

Vezelay to Santiago is say 1500 kilometers? No need to rush andrun about. Do this Camino properly

You might consider taking the Salvador to Oviedo from Leon and continuing on the Primitivo. Just shy of 1800 km to Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back