• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ass Pads - A Serious Topic!

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK, I have too much time on my hands...obviously :oops:

I'm going over and over my packing list, looking to improve it by:

1. Taking items out.
  2. Swapping in lighter items.
  3. Making sure items are at least dual purpose.
And inevitably, all this research uncovers items I never dreamed of taking.

What? that's actually a 'thing'?

There has been a constant stream of courier deliveries over the last few weeks, as various goodies have been dropped off at my door.

I feel like an Amateur version (very amateur) of @davebugg with all the gear testing going on!

The latest?

Ass Pads! :eek:

Who would have thought?

For those days when you want to sit down the trail, in the middle of nowhere, and the ground is wet, or uncomfortable.

I was thinking of a square of bubble wrap. But No. Ass pads are a 'thing'. And lightweight! :)

But what to take? I need to weigh up comfort, size, and weight.

Two have arrived for testing. Just tested by 2 Pilgrims.

The Rolls Royce. A$65 47 gms Comfort factor 8/10

And.......... The Kia A$9.94 25 gms Comfort factor 9/10

Both are a similar size and fold up to similar size.

Guess which one is going with me?

"You get what you pay for"? Hmmm. Not always.

In fairness I have not tested resilience to wear and weather........

A$65
Ass Pad 1.jpg

A$9.94
Ass Pad 2.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have considered this for myself, and you will almost certainly find this situation on the VDLP:
you want to sit down the trail, in the middle of nowhere, and the ground is wet, or uncomfortable
I have rejected the idea (again for myself) because it does not seem worth the hassle. I am a person who could use some more padding in the rear, and even I cannot be bothered. Take a plastic garbage bag (bin liner or whatever you call it). If you take your special seat cushion, you are still not going to want to put it in the mud, so you'll yourself fiddling with a plastic bag for it anyway. You'll need one bag to sit on, and another for your back pack.

I was wondering if you can't create a seat that rolls up to form a massage roller, and that you can use to insulate a water bottle.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I have never wanted a dedicated cushion to sit on, but I know some people who are very averse to sitting directly on the ground. When I was walking with a squeamish companion who didn't want to get a dusty bottom, I laid out my poncho as a picnic mat.

IIRC, you're planning to carry a tent or flysheet and sleep outdoors sometimes. aren't you? If so, you will want to carry a sleeping mat.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe I'm just a gear junkie :eek:

I was only thinking of those wide open places on the VdlP.
No cafes, benches, walls.......

Why are you all so logical and sensible? :rolleyes:

I now have to practice being able to sit crossed legged on the ground.
Not easy for someone who is used to chairs and being overweight!

At our wedding 20 years ago I had to sit cross legged for what seemed like 3 hours............
I could barely walk when I stood up :eek:

Have to start some stretching exercises I think.

Walks away muttering trying to think of at least 3 other uses for an 'Ass Pad' to justify taking it........

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That pad is not going to raise you more than 1 cm off the ground anyway.

One of the liberating things about the VDLP was to be alone, wanting a rest, and realizing that I should simply sit on the ground! How often do we as old people have nothing better to do that to plop ourselves on the ground for a rest?

Attachments

• 20170327_121633.jpg
    20170327_121633.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 122
  • 20170407_144131.jpg
    20170407_144131.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 20170407_135209.jpg
    20170407_135209.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20170328_101517.jpg
    20170328_101517.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • 20180503_125937.jpg
    20180503_125937.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 104
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good try, but no!

You will undoubtedly wish you had one, upon occasion. But if you took one, you would constantly be thinking of discarding it. Why create that dilemma?!

Just 25 gms. And it's a nice colour.

The other use is as a bolster. Between the knees when sleeping......
I'll try to think of others :rolleyes:

OK, End of Thread.

Ass pads are obviously one of my really dumb ideas!

Even dumber than a sushi mat it seems :oops:

Exhibit 1 is clearly superior. I’ve got a box of the generic knock-off version easily found on a well-known auction site. Cost very little, weigh very little and when I walk it’s often wet or snowy, so the few grammes is worth it.

The weight will not be an issue as you’ll stand up and leave it behind after a couple of days. Mine lives in the outside pocket of my Osprey Kestrel with a strip of day-glo fabric behind it. If I can see the day-glo, then something’s missing.

Nevertheless, it’s 50/50 whether I’ll manage not to lose the pad in a three week walk.

€46,-
Ass pads are obviously one of my really dumb ideas!

One of mine as well. I brought an AP on both of my caminos, weighs only 25 grams, folds up very small and fits in one of the side pockets together with a water bottle. I only rarely use it (sitting on the ground occasionally, on a wet bench, a rough rock, etc.), but as it weighs very little and takes up very little space, why not bring it? On the few occasions that I needed it, it was very nice to have.

Exhibit 1 is clearly superior. I’ve got a box of the generic knock-off version easily found on a well-known auction site. Cost very little, weigh very little and when I walk it’s often wet or snowy, so the few grammes is worth it.

The weight will not be an issue as you’ll stand up and leave it behind after a couple of days. Mine lives in the outside pocket of my Osprey Kestrel with a strip of day-glo fabric behind it. If I can see the day-glo, then something’s missing.

Nevertheless, it’s 50/50 whether I’ll manage not to lose the pad in a three week walk.
The answer to your prayers? May I introduce you to the SSO/SPOSN sit mat as used by Russia's Spetsnaz (Special Forces):

1614157454665.png

It comes with a belt so it gets up when you get up! In cold weather you can wear it under your coat as a kidney warmer. Available in plain or various cammo patterned material, washable and the internal pad can be replaced if damaged. A generous 42 X 27 cms - enough surely for widest of spreads? Weighs in at a whopping 150gm.

SitzMatz

Not sure I'd go for the cammo version unless you use the belt everytime - a colleague of mine who was in the Territorial Army in the UK bought a Parker Jotter ballpan with a cammo pattern barrel, put it down on the ground while having a rest on a route march and couldn't find it (true story).

On my Portuguese Caminho I sat down on a rough stone wall for a snack break and padded it with a brand new fleece. When I stood up I found a big dob of pine resin permanently attached (fortunately on the outside) - like "chewing gum" on a blanket I think the saying is. I discovered these mats a year later while on an archaeology field course; you can sit on them or kneel on them, I also use it in the garden and camping trips. On short walks it goes inside a frameless bag and stiffens it, with a framed rucksack it sits between the bag and the mesh panel with the belt clipped in so it doesn't fall out.

There's also a smaller size for the more fashion conscious:

1614158546478.png

and you soon learn to take fatuous comments in your stride - yes, your bum does look big in it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do carry something you could call an Ass Pad.
However, that is not its main purpose.
First it ads stability to my frameless backpack
Second it ads padding for my unpadded backpack
Third, at least with the new backpack, it reduces the interiour volume so that the pack is more comfortable to carry
Fourth, in an extreme emergency i guess i could sleep on it (though very uncomfortably)
Last, i could use it as an ass pad. But then i would have to put it back into my backpack. And whenever possible, i try not to create a vector for things from the ground to get into my backpack. Like bugs and ticks. So i will most likely never use my pad to sit down onto.

For sitting down on wet places, my rain kilt offers sufficient room for 3-4 people, depending on size, gender and odor.

What i use:
My old pack had a pad included (Gossamer Gear Murmur)
With the new pack i got 4 segments of a Z-Lite sleeping pad frome another guy for like 15€. Those i carry inside my pack, but could also put them outside with some cords if i would need more space. (Pack is 38L, so way to much for a camino without a tent, but i wanted some other features in it and those where not to be had with smaller packs) edit: that is unfortunately adding a rather heavy 100g to my pack, making it weigh in slightly above 500g with all options.
edit: thats how the backpack weight comes together in case someone wants to know:
1614165151869.png

Last edited:
I have a give-away by a certain bank that once sponsored a football match I attended. It’s perfect, it’s a polystyrene pad (bank logo stamped on the fabric covering), with four folds to concertina when not in use, and closed up it fits neatly tucked in an outside side pocket of my pack.

I use a simple, but sturdy 3'x3' piece of tyvek as a sit pad. There is no cushioning, but it literally folds up into nothing, weighs nothing and practically costs nothing.
Double the length and fold it over and you'll have twice the "padding" for very little extra weight. ;)

Stretch it out full for a nap in the grass. If you find that you don't use it that way cut the thing in half to save some weight and make a friend.

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I have a give-away by a certain bank that once sponsored a football match I attended. It’s perfect, it’s a polystyrene pad (bank logo stamped on the fabric covering), with four folds to concertina when not in use, and closed up it fits neatly tucked in an outside side pocket of my pack.
Didn't they used to be called buttocks? Mine are already attached ready for sitting on ! :)😊😊

Samarkand

I'm with Anamiri, and Anhalter, poncho or rain skirt. I do have a really cheap sitpad, used it just after I bought it, never used since. Nothing wrong with it, I suppose, just didn't really see the point.

My ass pad is an integral part of my backback. It slips into a sleeve in the back of my pack and provides some cushioning between my back and the pack. It is easily removed and replaced. I have used it more than I thought I would. Many of the Gossamer Gears packs have them.
licensed_travperk_photo-G420-39_1000x.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Can I play devil’s advocate and suggest you might feel the benefit of one if you continue to lose such a lot of weight.
One unexpected side effect is that one’s own ‘padding’ can disappear and leave your ‘seat-bones’ in uncomfortably close contact with any hard surface .. 😉🙃

Edit:
Sorry @Stroller ... I hadn’t seen your post ... perhaps I might join your Confraternity? 😉

Last edited:
When I was walking with a squeamish companion who didn't want to get a dusty bottom, I laid out my poncho as a picnic mat.

I also sit on my rain gear! If I am wearing my rain skirt, my bum is automatically protected from mud and water when I sit down. My rain skirt unzips into a rectangle that I can lounge out on otherwise during fair weather.

It is all about the multi-purpose gear and keeping the backpack weight low. Another benefit: less things to pack and potentially lose/forget along the way! :cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Walks away muttering trying to think of at least 3 other uses for an 'Ass Pad' to justify taking it........
Robo, your comments let me start the day with a huge laugh! I love your wit! Thanks for posting this thread.

Andrea

1. Taking items out.

There has been a constant stream of courier deliveries over the last few weeks, as various goodies have been dropped off at my door.

I feel like an Amateur version (very amateur) of @davebugg with all the gear testing going on!

The latest?

Who would have thought?

For those days when you want to sit down the trail, in the middle of nowhere, and the ground is wet, or uncomfortable.
For me, not worth the money nor the time. I have had no problem finding a place to sit.

That pad is not going to raise you more than 1 cm off the ground anyway.

One of the liberating things about the VDLP was to be alone, wanting a rest, and realizing that I should simply sit on the ground! How often do we as old people have nothing better to do that to plop ourselves on the ground for a rest?
I agree completely. I have always been able to find a rock or a dead tree trunk or a stone wall to sit on. If it is raining I never stop so that is not an issue. I guess if I had to stop in the rain I would be able to figure it out. I think you know I will be walking the VDLP hopefully in October. Thanks for the photos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always struggle with thin pillows in albergues, I just recently bought an inflatable "ass pad" to cushion up pillows when needed. It weighs 3 oz. and is 29"x9"x1.5". Not delivered yet, I have no idea if will serve the purpose.
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 7.10.35 AM.png

I always struggle with thin pillows in albergues, I just recently bought an inflatable "ass pad" to cushion up pillows when needed. It weighs 3 oz. and is 29"x9"x1.5". Not delivered yet, I have no idea if will serve the purpose.
View attachment 94239
Oo, ooh ooh! Send us a link please, dying to know how you're suppost to rest on it! Along? Across?

If it was free...Deal!

€46,-
trying to think of at least 3 other uses for an 'Ass Pad' to justify taking it....

Use it as a small ’table’ when having a picnic on the ground (I did that once, worked fine); use it to bash giant insects that have invaded your room at night (I did that once, worked fine), trade it for a glass of cerveza if you’re out of cash (didn’t do that but it might work?) :)

Oo, ooh ooh! Send us a link please, dying to know how you're suppost to rest on it! Along? Across?
Looks like this one

You could make your own and recycle litter at the same time....! I have just made a couple by ironing crisp packets together (use mid hot iron and greaseproof paper) I used several layers of bubble wrap in one and the thick wool fleece that came as packaging around my xmas turkey for the other. Each is about 16" x 12" and are very comfy and insulating. Don't know how long they will wear for - but you only need a hot iron to re-patch them!! Picnic blankets can be made this way too (obvs i always take one on Camino - on a cycle!) and double up as an extra insulating blanket at night - or to wrap around after a v cold swim - it is like those emergency blankets.....
I like the idea of rolling the ass pad - so it can be used to keep the water bottle cold - yes!!

€149,-
like C Clearly said...!

Attachments

• 197 ditto.JPG
    197 ditto.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
I made one for local hikes from a piece of cheap yoga mat. I rarely use it, if its wet I'm usually wearing wet gear, if its dry I don't need it anyway. Truth be told I'm sometimes lazy to fish it out.
That's exactly what I use for hiking. I cut an old yoga mat into 8 pieces, so when one gets too worn out/ dirty, I have another one ready to go. Basically free, rolled up it takes up barely any space in my backpack and it's very lightweight. Great insulation from the damp ground whilst I have my tea and ham sandwiches!

Definitely planning on bringing one on the camino with me, whenever that may be.

€149,-
Use it as a small ’table’ when having a picnic on the ground (I did that once, worked fine); use it to bash giant insects that have invaded your room at night (I did that once, worked fine), trade it for a glass of cerveza if you’re out of cash (didn’t do that but it might work?) :)
But if you use it as a picnic table what do you sit on? ;)
In insect vs flip-flop, flip-flop usually wins.
I think the trade for a beer only works if you have a cart load of flowers to trade! 🌹🌹🌹🌹=🍺

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

I was thinking of a square of bubble wrap. But No. Ass pads are a 'thing'. And lightweight! :)

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180
I purchased the Therm-A-Rest version of this which looks like your first photo, light as a feather and cost me less than $15. Was all booked to walk the Camino with my daughter in April last year when all was cancelled due to the pandemic so hopefully this will be used in 2022. For me this is a necessity after giving birth to Triplets years ago it damaged my sciatic nerve to where I can’t sit on any hard surface or risk a painful flare up so for me this is worth every cent I paid for it and the space in my pack. Some of us just can’t sit on hard surfaces and I’m one of them so this little pad is like gold to those of us who suffer from sciatica! 😉

Attachments

• 30784213-26F7-4F9A-B666-105B6703F2C8.jpeg
    30784213-26F7-4F9A-B666-105B6703F2C8.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 7E361745-464F-43E9-A4E2-7995EC0190C0.jpeg
    7E361745-464F-43E9-A4E2-7995EC0190C0.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 31
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use the Amazon Prime envelop. You can keep your lunch cool and use it to sit on. Maybe it is not as durable, but with care, it can last your whole Camino.
Line it with foil and you've got a DIY food cosy! Like this:

1614199872725.png

but with the foil on the inside.

(OK, I admit it, I've watched far too much YouTube in lockdown)

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180
I carry sufficient padding, whether I like it or not...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
View attachment 94239

Hmmm. Got me one of those too :oops:
80 gms....... Foam + inflatable.
nemo-fillo-elite-ultralite-backpacking-pillow-clearance-nem-fillo-elite-pillow-128.1613964397.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The plastic blow ups? Were they in the donation boxes? 😉
I liked the long pillows provided. I always put my own cheap lightweight pillowcase over them.
No, I meant the pillows that are provided. I've never used a plastic blow up pillow.
I have a silk pillowcase for the pillows.

Sleeping in Albergues is opening up a whole new World for me :rolleyes:

I was weighing up the pros and cons of taking a pillow case, (weight), a stuff sack pillow so I don't need to use the Albergue pillows (but what to put in it? as i won't have much gear).

The semi inflatable pillow looked like quite a good alternative. It has a nice shape, fabric cover etc.

nemo-fillo-elite-ultralite-backpacking-pillow-clearance-nem-fillo-elite-pillow-128.1613964397.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just 25 gms. And it's a nice colour.

The other use is as a bolster. Between the knees when sleeping......
I'll try to think of others :rolleyes:
Or a baton to swat off thieves or flies or just more stuff to keep people employed. Personally I like to ground myself or go to a cafe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180
I bought this pad and didn't take it. It's very lightweight and takes up very little space. I'm taking it next time! 1614433680032.png

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180

I have an extra pair of underwear, socks and shirt in a zip-loc bag. Perfect soft cushion for sitting in wet or uncomfortable spot. It adjusts very well to bottom and ground. Cost nominal. I have several things in my pack in these bags to protect against wetness.

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180
I always just sat on a plastic bag I carried with me, I had enough of my own padding for that to be sufficient 😄

I like using the tyvek as it can get a bit of dirt or vegetation clinging if the ground is damp. I fold it up into itself which keeps any debris confined and the outer area of the tyvek, along with my pack stays clean. It is stiffer and stronger than plastic bags.

Your local dollar store may have a poly-styrofoam knee pad for gardening. Get the children’s sized one. Tiny, very lightweight, may have a handle cut out on one end. Cost about a buck.

You can pause to do some gardening en route to add another purpose.

I carried one on the European Peace Walk a few years ago. I maybe used it once. Inside my bag, it was stored in a plastic bag to keep things clean.

Excellent Saturday thread, btw.

€149,-
I have one of those sturdy, lightweight knee pads for the garden and it's great, but at an inch thick I don't have room to take it in my 34L backpack, as my lightweight sleeping bag hogs the extra room. It could certainly be a good option for some folks though.

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180
I use a piece of mylar cut to twice the size I need for sitting so that I can fold it in on itself it gets wet. Easy to wipe off. Weights almost nothing. Does not provide any padding.

I have one of those sturdy, lightweight knee pads for the garden and it's great, but at an inch thick I don't have room to take it in my 34L backpack, as my lightweight sleeping bag hogs the extra room. It could certainly be a good option for some folks though.
The child sized one isn’t that thick. With the handle, it could be tied to the outside of the pack.

A plastic bag is really enough ground coverage for me, but for those who like to haul along the what-ifs, it’s a possible solution. Or, an inflatable chair may be what you need:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180
Hi Robo I can't really comment on Ass Pads as I had never heard of them before but I can say that you will be amazed at just how little you need. I have done 4 Caminos and on my first one my backpack weighted 13 kilos. When I go home I threw to one side the stuff I never used. On the next 3 trips my pack weighed 8 kilos and everything i packed I used at some point. It is obviously personal choice what you think you need and I have seen some huge packs. You are never so far away from somewhere you can buy something if you suddenly find that you need it, Buen Camino Vince

Maybe I'm just a gear junkie :eek:

No cafes, benches, walls.......

Not easy for someone who is used to chairs and being overweight!

At our wedding 20 years ago I had to sit cross legged for what seemed like 3 hours............
I could barely walk when I stood up :eek:

Have to start some stretching exercises I think.

Walking 20km is never the problem. However, walking the 3m to the bar (after sitting for 10 min) is pure agony! Go figure. I'm not even going to think of sitting cross legged!!

SI have too much time on my hands...obviously :oops:

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bought one of those many years ago in a shop called Daiso's in Taiwan. It cost all of $1 Australian. No idea why I bought - didn't even know bout the Camino then - but I use it constantly. Trains, planes, concerts, picnics and Camino, etc. If you were crafty, I reckon you could cut up a cheap Kmart yoga mat into three pieces and attach them to each other so they fold - like those click/clack toys we used to have.

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180
We have various things we can pull out if needed, but generally, I just sit on my Sunday Afternoons hat. (I can't remember any time that I had to sit when it was muddy, and most muddy stretches are relatively short). Sometimes I just sit on my backpack--many thousands of miles and no harm done yet.

I'm in the pointy-bone-no-arse club as well...the flight alone from the US to Madrid, then the excruciating train or bus ride just does me in! I'm liking the arse saving lightweight pad idea...I've a year to mull it over :)

€149,-
I had one from Ikea, foldable and lightweight. I also thought I would use it on wet ground but ground was mostly dry. The pad was most useful on stone or concrete benches that were so awfully cold even in sunny summer weather. I'm very happy I had it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That was not actually a facetious remark! In my post-Camino, COVID life, I have been compensating by cycling north and camping on the coast at Coral Bay. Exiting a small dome tent involves crawling on hands and knees. Getting to my feet proved to be an almost insurmountable problem, solved by taking with me a collapsible stool which I can use to haul myself up.

You could always hang it on the outside?

I was wondering why not use a poncho or rain jacket, whatever is in the pack already, if really needed? And for me, I would have no other uses. Therefore, at least for me, it would get tossed.

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180
In my long ago girl guiding days we called those “sit upons.” I was loaned one part way through my Frances walk and found it useful so purchased one for my next Caminos. Took an extremely light weight one which didn’t take up much room but proved great especially for the picnic lunches on rough or wet terrain, including gravel road shoulders.

Last edited:
For dedicated thru-hikers, and gram-counting Pilgrims everywhere, Hindquarter Industries has just released the newest multitasking product to lighten and cushion your load: The Hiker's Caboose.

For only 179.99 Euro, plus the cost of an outpatient surgical visit, you can have have silicone-based inflatable cheek-pads implanted. Not only does it save room in tiny, stupidlite backpacks, but it will save the planet as well.

Come break time, the user simply blows into the connected fill tubes - 1 per cheek - to achieve the level of inflation needed for sityerazz comfort. But, wait, there's more.

The Hiker's Caboose is a multitasker, eliminating the need for either water bottles or reservoirs.

Instead of air, the walker simply uses the included Quick Connect devices, attach the included flexible refill bottle, and then squeeze up to 2 liters of water into each cheek. Choose the amount of water that is right for your immediate hydration needs and patootie sitting comfort, too. Then disconnect the fill tubes, and quickly snap on the Quik-Sip extension tube. Clip the Quik-Sip onto your shoulder harness, and you are now ready for Sipping, Sitting, and Striding.

To maintain good balance while walking, it is a good idea to azzcertain equal water distribution to each cheek by filling each side equally. When needing a drink, be sure to sip equally from each side.

The need for disposable water bottles is gone, reducing the need for Earth-Killing Plastics. Because you chose the Hiker's Caboose, birds will sing, the skies will be blue, and the laughter of children playing will be heard.

So do your part to save the planet while being stupidlite, comfortable, and hydrated.

Caution: Not intended for filling with sugary juices, gatorades, or soft drinks cause this makes sanitizing a nightmare.

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

In Girl Scouts we called these "sit-upons".

€46,-
To prep for the Camino, one of the best books I read was Jean-Christie Ashmore's "To Walk Far, Carry Less." Great info, lots of tip for shaving ounces (or grams, if that's your thing). I remember being struck that she had 6 whole pages dedicated to the "blue foam pad" (sleeping pad) that she liked for cushioning the behind while eating a picnic lunch. I went back to see exactly what she had to say and now I see the pad was something she really only considered taking for routes where she there was a chance she might need to sleep on a hard floor.

I have never used a ground pad for anything other than backpacking ("wild camping") in the US (and similar in the military, where we referred to the pad as something, uh, not appropriate for this fine forum). Back to the posterior pad, in Spain I never found a shortage of benches, walls, horizontal logs or fountain walls to rest my bottom on during the handful of occasions when I had a picnic lunch. A couple of times I used my rain gear to keep my butt off the damp grass and it worked great.

Although it is a delightful pastime to research and overanalyze Camino gear choices, just say no to extra items. After 5 Caminos I can honestly say my arse never had trouble finding a suitable place to sit. Sometimes it was motivation to push on a little further to "that" sweet spot or keep going until you find those red plastic chairs in the distance...

Let me say that I have found my "sit upon" particularly useful, I keep it folded in a side pocket of my pack and use it frequently, especially when the only place to sit is wet, or a bench is covered in bird droppings etc. It is at it's most useful in snowy conditions, allowing one to have a comfortable rest sitting on snow. It is also useful to put feet on if the ground is wet (or such things as ticks and leeches are around) and a foot inspection is required! I used to use a plastic bag, but since purchasing my "sit upon" from a well known German outdoor store I would not travel without it - it is one of the first things I pack. I wish I had had it when my son & I had to top and tail it, in a ditch, on a couple of pizza boxes and one thermarest between us - it would have added a small amount of extra comfort in the dirt! It was his first Camino experience but didn't put him off and he joined me again for several weeks of walking on the Camino in the snow in Germany - my comparatively new "sit upon" then was very useful!.

I have made several sleeping mats for homeless people by crocheting them out of plastic grocery bags. They are about an inch thick and very comfortable, as well as waterproof. They are also a bit heavy, definitely not for backpacking. I then made an "ass pad" to take hiking with me. This one I made much thinner and more lightweight. Instructions can be found online for the sleeping mats. For the ass pad, I just cut out much smaller loops of plastic.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have an extra pair of underwear, socks and shirt in a zip-loc bag. Perfect soft cushion for sitting in wet or uncomfortable spot. It adjusts very well to bottom and ground. Cost nominal. I have several things in my pack in these bags to protect against wetness.
Now that makes sense.

1. Taking items out.

The latest?

Who would have thought?

A$65
View attachment 94179

A$9.94
View attachment 94180
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem....

I use a sit pad (as they are called here) all the time for hikes and walks in ireland... The ground is often damp even if its not raining and so it allows a rest without getting your bum wet or cold. Super useful and really light...
I did take one on my 1st camino francés but never used it... I think when it was dry the ground was dry enough to sit on and when it was wet i wasn't stopping for a break!
I could have used in on the VDLP as often sat on the ground for breaks, the sit oad gives a little cushion but also maybe would have acted as a barrier to the inevitable ant 🐜 invasion!!! Maybe not though...

Apparently I'm the only one with the nick name 'boney ass'. I neither have enough muscle nor fat to cover my bones. Bone to surface, pain. An ass pad would be helpful. BUTT, it's obvious, that is not everyone's problem. :oops:

As a big fan of RuPaul's Drag Race, I was imagining something quite different!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.