• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Assault after Lisbon

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, forum members,
I have received a report from a peregrina who started yesterday, and she asked me to post it to the forum. She was assaulted somewhere around Sacavém, probably on that path that goes along the channel. She had left the Lisbon cathedral about 5 hours earlier, she said. She seems to be physically fine, with only superficial injuries. Based on the few details she gave it was an assault for theft only, at least that it what I am praying. Single guy, jogging, who passed her walking. Then about 40 minutes later on his return, he jumped her.

She has reported it to the police, is currently in Lisbon, recovering, and starting the process at the Embassy to get new documents.

Many of us have walked this route as single women, and it certainly sends a chill. This is the sort of thing that "just doesn't happen in Portugal." Well, now it has. I have urged the pilgrim to call the SOS pìlgrim number at the Via Lusitana, if only for the comfort and companionship that Jose Luis and Natercia will offer her.

I have also contacted Via Lusitana, and I am sure they will get involved in any appropriate way that presents itself. I will post again if I get more details. A sad day.

Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Note from moderators: Some of this information may not apply in Portugal, where this incident occurred. I will post corrections if I get better information for Portugal. The 112 number does work, however.

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just a quick update from our dear peregrina. She has written to say that she is fine, but has a banged up face that looks like a Picasso masterpiece. I am astonished at her calm and forgiving attitude, and she did say that while she was with the ambulance she saw a single female peregrina as well as a single male walk by. This suggests that finding companionship from Lisbon might not be so hard and is a good idea. She is currently hoping to rest up a bit, get new documents, and then visit Fatima. From there, current plan is that she will head to Porto to start walking there.

If anyone is going to start walking from Porto around Oct. 1 and would like some company, please let me know (PM is fine) and I will put people in touch.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Reporting in today to say that I have had more contact with the peregrina, she is resting in a hotel in Lisbon, getting taken very good care of and getting new credit cards, her passport, etc. I don't think it's violating any confidences to tell you guys that her reaction has been something I aspire to but am unsure I could pull off. She wrote that her forgiveness comes from knowing that the violence reflects "a sadness and lack of love for life -- who knows what he has going in his life." Talk about life lessons from the Camino.

I have heard from one female pilgrim who will be setting off from Porto in early October, please if there are others, contact me via PM, because I think a whole gaggle would be wonderful for her!

Bom caminho, Laurie

We are in in Lisbon now & will be departing tomorrow morning for the coastal route up to Porto; if she wants to walk the coastal route instead of the central route she can start with us. My wife and I are mid-50s and lifetime NYers fwiw. Bom Caminho.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are in in Lisbon now & will be departing tomorrow morning for the coastal route up to Porto; if she wants to walk the coastal route instead of the central route she can start with us.
[Edited by Moderator: Please use the PM (Personal Message) function available to all members] is my email address. My wife and I are mid-50s and lifetime NYers fwiw. Bom Caminho.
I pm'ed her on the forum, thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are in in Lisbon now & will be departing tomorrow morning for the coastal route up to Porto; if she wants to walk the coastal route instead of the central route she can start with us. My wife and I are mid-50s and lifetime NYers fwiw. Bom Caminho.
The true Peregrino spirit........ Good job !

Note from moderators: Some of this information may not apply in Portugal, where this incident occurred. I will post corrections if I get better information for Portugal. The 112 number does work, however.

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.
I realize this post is old, but every time I try to download this app, I get a message telling me the link is not safe. Is there a newer link?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I realize this post is old, but every time I try to download this app, I get a message telling me the link is not safe. Is there a newer link?
Go to the app store and download the app directly. The link in that message just takes you to a message describing the app. It works for me — it’s a Spanish government site, so I assume it is safe.

Go to the app store and download the app directly. The link in that message just takes you to a message describing the app. It works for me — it’s a Spanish government site, so I assume it is safe.
Thanks. Also, I see a few reviews saying the person who downloaded needed a code they never received. I'd be curious if anyone in the USA has used this app on their phone with their USA phone service?

Thanks. Also, I see a few reviews saying the person who downloaded needed a code they never received. I'd be curious if anyone in the USA has used this app on their phone with their USA phone service?
Annie, go to this thread, which deals with that question.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/‘alertcops’-us-based-users.72279/

I confess that after I decided that 112 is, for me anyway, the preferable number to use in a true emergency, I lost interest in alertcops, especially after some of the comments. This is not to say it’s not a great app, and if I lived in Spain I would learn how to use it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I discovered that AlertCops documentation was difficult to find and unclear in what I did find. However I got the impression that if you registered as a pilgrim you would/could get a notice to be aware of flashers or such when you wandered into the vicinity of known problems. I don't know if the following is implemented but tech would allow a pilgrim's AlertCops problem report to register the area automatically so another pilgrim walking a few minutes behind could be notified right away.

I discovered that AlertCops documentation was difficult to find and unclear in what I did find. However I got the impression that if you registered as a pilgrim you would/could get a notice to be aware of flashers or such when you wandered into the vicinity of known problems. I don't know if the following is implemented but tech would allow a pilgrim's AlertCops problem report to register the area automatically so another pilgrim walking a few minutes behind could be notified right away.
On the app it’s under ‘more’ then ‘geolocalized services’ and purports to offer updates as to known issues in the vicinity of the user.

One would have to have a damn sight more faith in the Spanish police to keep that up to date and meaningful than I would ever have in the UK.

The basic functionality of a one-button call to a multilingual operator and a date and time stamped and geolocated incident report are good features, and enough without unnecessary bells and whistles IMHO.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.