• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Assisi and St. Francis

almis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Le Puy to Conques, Via Francigena
We took the 9.40 am bus to Assisi. I had included Assisi in our Via Francigena journey because I wanted to visit the home town of Italy’s patron saint, who had made two pilgrimages to Rome himself.

Some saw St. Francis as the Church’s environmentally concerned saint, the one who preached to birds and befriended a wolf. He also traveled to Egypt during the crusades in an attempt to halt the fighting by attempting to convert the Sultan of Egypt to Christianity. St. Francis, much beloved brother to the natural world. Brother Sun, Sister Water, Mother Earth. He showed us the inter-relationships between all living things.

The traveler and writer H.V. Morton wrote of St. Francis, “Of all whom had answered the call of Christ, ‘sell all you have and follow me’ St. Francis was the most literal, the most ardent and the most successful.”

The bus drove across the hot landscape of Umbria and Assisi lay ahead, stretched out on the imposing slopes of Mount Subiaso. Assisi was one of Europe’s major pilgrimage sites. On its outskirts, looking like a church built upon an aqueduct, was the Basilica of St. Francis. The town has been a sacred place since ancient times.

The bus brought us to the crowded parking area in front of St. Peter’s Gate (Porta San Pietro.) From St. Peter’s Gate we took a local mini-bus which negotiated its way up through the narrow cobble-stoned streets to the centre of Assisi, the Piazza del Comun. And from there we walked along Via Galeazzo Alessi until we reached the gates of St. Anthony’s guest house, our accommodation for the next four days.

We were greeted by Sister Sue who explained the house rules and showed us to our room. A quick look at the town map showed us that we should first visit the nearby places of interest as we did not want to climb up and down the steep streets of Assisi unnecessarily.

First to the Cathedral of St. Rufino. It had an intricate facade decorated with sculptures and reliefs. Rufino was the area’s first martyr and the patron saint of Assisi.

Then to San Lorenzo and finally up to the highest point of Assisi where Rocca Maggiore was sited. It towered above Assisi and I involuntarily laughed when I was told that Francis and his friends had tried to storm it during one of their escapades, realizing the futility of their attempt.

Back to the guest house for lunch. St. Anthony’s was well designed for pilgrims and travelers; a coffee machine, white and red wine in the fridge, a library, laundry and a large garden, often visited by melodious birds.

We spent that afternoon and the next three days exploring and appreciating the marvelous city of Assisi. San Damiano, the small monastery built around the first church Francis had rebuilt.
The Basilica of Santa Maria dei Angeli was once a little oratory in the woods where pilgrims from the Holy Land had deposited a fragment from the tomb of the Virgin.
Chiesa Nuova, Santa Maria Maggiore and Basilica di Santa Chiara.
The lower Church of the Basilica San Francesco, the numero uno site in Assisi.
The majestic Roman columns of the Temple to Minerva remain and hide the amazing interior of the Church of Santa Maria della Minerva.
Remember to visit the Hermitage (of the prisons), Eremo del Carceri situated in a thick forest of oaks and holly trees on the slopes of Mt. Subiaso.

More information on Assisi and Via Francigena at http://www.goodwalkingbooks.com/travel_vf.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wonder if the St Francis Way will become more populair now there is a pope who calls himself Francesco I...

Yes, I am wondering about that too. The Pope might also encourage people to do pilgrimage to Assisi. It is another pilgrimage I am planning to do.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
bauzonc said:
Yes, I am wondering about that too. The Pope might also encourage people to do pilgrimage to Assisi. It is another pilgrimage I am planning to do.

Yes, I can confirm that this year we have an increase of pelgrims who start in Vezelay on their way to Assise. A lot of french people dot that pilgimage instead of Santiago.
We= my wife and I and we have a little refugio in Chastellux sur Cure (24km from Vezelay).

A very nice little refuge I can tell!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back