• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga ALSA bus terminal questions

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
Looking for someone that has a lot of first hand experience with the Astorga ALSA bus terminal!!! First am I right that the ALSA office is kind of a block from the bus terminal (but on the same street) and the ALSA office has limited office hours but the terminal itself is open 24/7? Is it an OK place to be after a very late dinner until the overnight bus departs for Madrid? I can play tourist until sunset and then take my time with dinner but that still gives me a couple of hours to kill. If I knew the Albergue San Javier would let me stay there until about 45 minutes before my bus I'd check in and pay the 7 euro for the security! Or does anyone know if there are luggage lockers at the bus station? Gracias!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looking for someone that has a lot of first hand experience with the Astorga ALSA bus terminal!!! First am I right that the ALSA office is kind of a block from the bus terminal (but on the same street) and the ALSA office has limited office hours but the terminal itself is open 24/7? Is it an OK place to be after a very late dinner until the overnight bus departs for Madrid? I can play tourist until sunset and then take my time with dinner but that still gives me a couple of hours to kill. If I knew the Albergue San Javier would let me stay there until about 45 minutes before my bus I'd check in and pay the 7 euro for the security! Or does anyone know if there are luggage lockers at the bus station? Gracias!!

The bus station in Astorga is not far from Cathedral and the Gaudi Bishop's Palace. I didn't realize ALSA had an office nearby. The kiosk hours for ALSA at the bus station are terrible, really maybe just 30 minutes before the bus, but the terminal was open and seemed fine in the early a.m. I think the albergue San Javier would be perfect for hanging out as it is close to cathedral too and an easy walk to the bus station. I don't think they'd have a problem with you being there. To me it was a pretty casual albergue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think the albergue San Javier would be perfect for hanging out
It is for sale. When I was there in January I got the impression that it might be permanently closed unless someone buys it!

You could hit the cathedral with a stone thrown from the bus station (with a really strong arm). It has the usual bus station hangers on and the scent of stale urine, but the bar/restaurant there is open long hours. The ALSA ticket window is open long hours, but the other bus line windows only open a few minutes before a bus leaves, if at all. Bus drivers sell all tickets when the ticket window is closed.

The restaurant above the bus station is very pleasant, good views over the sights, which are illuminated. Food not that great, but would be really convenient spot for you to spend a couple of hours in.

Now that Falcon269 has cautioned me about San Javier being up for sale I came up with a different plan of attack now taking the last bus back to Leon and the high speed train out of Leon to Madrid the next morning. That way I'm not hanging around a bus station after dark. :) Late dinner will now be back in Leon!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Glad you have Plan B in place. Anyway, last September I was told that the buses only went on ( I think) Tuesdays and Fridays. It was vital that I was close to my partner (and group) who was cycling, and doing Camino to raise awareness about Younger Onset Dementia. He was diagnosed in his 50s. Sadly, I had no option but to taxi from Astorga. But support for John was more important. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back