• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga-Molinaseca in the rain?

senora1

Hi I’m spending the night now in Astorga and have a room booked for Molinaseca tomorrow. Getting concerned since the weather for both Poncerrada and Molinaseca show rain forecast then. Has anyone ridden down that section in rain? I am already a little apprehensive about the steepness and now this!!
TIA for any advice

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have not ridden, but there is a memorial to a fallen bicigrino outside of El Acebo. It is very steep and we were nearly run over on a narrow part of the trail before Molinaseca. I would try to stick to the road if possible.

Hi I’m spending the night now in Astorga and have a room booked for Molinaseca tomorrow. Getting concerned since the weather for both Poncerrada and Molinaseca show rain forecast then. Has anyone ridden down that section in rain? I am already a little apprehensive about the steepness and now this!!
TIA for any advice
I walked it in the rain - the wind can be fierce. I literally had to leave the trail and shelter in the trees

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have not ridden, but there is a memorial to a fallen bicigrino outside of El Acebo. It is very steep and we were nearly run over on a narrow part of the trail before Molinaseca. I would try to stick to the road if possible.

I have ridden the road (not the track) from the Cruz del Ferrero to Molinaseca and it is not necessarily steep but it is continuously downhill with little room for manoeuvre should any pelegrinos decide to wander in front. This was in the dry and the brakes were well used.

So before the descent just give the brakes a quick check / dry them out. I'd also agree to stick to the road as the track will have the same issues (steepness/pelegrinos). Take your time.

Upside is that Molinaseca is beautiful.

Edit: Memory is a bit hazy on El Acebo but I am sure I recall cobbles. Perhaps someone can confirm.

I did Rabanal to Ponferrada on my bike today and it was no problem. Stiffish climb until past Foncebadon, then a superb swooping downhill to Molinaseca. Don't take the trail though unless it's well graded and flat. The rain is probably over but it'll still be greasy and wet, with loose stones. The road is excellent, nicely cambered and very smooth and fast. Enjoy 😎

I did Rabanal to Ponferrada on my bike today and it was no problem. Stiffish climb until past Foncebadon, then a superb swooping downhill to Molinaseca. Don't take the trail though unless it's well graded and flat. The rain is probably over but it'll still be greasy and wet, with loose stones. The road is excellent, nicely cambered and very smooth and fast. Enjoy 😎
Then I may have seen you! We had a coffee break in Rabanal and a fire break (very welcome!) in Foncebadon. The mist was heavy and wet but the road conditions were fine. Happily resting in Molinaseca

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone ridden down that section in rain? I am already a little apprehensive about the steepness and now this!!
TIA for any advice
I agree with others. Definitely stay on the road, and as Corned Beef said check your brakes. I have not done this section in the rain, but have done other camino mountain descents in bad weather in June and my advice is be well insulated - it is amazing how cold it can be.

The fast downhill from just after Foncebadon to Molinaseca is a real blast on a bike ... Have fun 😎

Totally agree and it was one of the best sections for me on the CF. On the other hand, if you don't know the OP's capabilities, your best avoid inducing an OTHB (over the handlebars)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola @senora1 Its now more than 6 years I cycled the section of the Camino you are referring too. In Sept 2015 it was not raining but I will caution that the descent from Cruz de Fero has to be ridden with care. The descent is around 700/800 metres with lots of twists and turns. In the corner be watchful of cars/trucks coming up cutting the corners. My advice - ride defensively and you should be ok. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back