• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga or Porto?

aerialobserver

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2018)
For my first Camino, I'm dithering over starting from Astorga or Porto in September. Both are about the distance I want to walk, so that I can finish what I start in a reasonable period of time. I won't be in the best shape, so I'd prefer frequent opportunities to stop for the night without committing to long daily distances, especially the first week or so. Natural beauty and cultural interests are equally important to me and I'd prefer rural lanes to highway traffic. I doubt there is a bad choice, but can anyone who has done both routes offer pros and cons that might help me decide? Among all the guidebooks, I have yet to find the kind of overview that might help me choose.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there!

I've done both routes, and the good thing is that you can't make a bad choice :) Both options are great.

By any chance, do you speak Portuguese or Spanish? Although you may not even need it, if you speak any of those, it may intensify the experience on that route.

Here is a very simplistic list of things about both trails:

From Astorga (Frances route)
- accommodation and food everywhere;
- plenty of water fountains along the way;
- food was very good;
- breathtaking cathedrals and historical places;
- a truckload of people after Sarria (which was not a problem for me, but can be for those who like the quietness).

From Porto (Portugues route)
- port wine port wine port wine PORT WINE;
- amazing dream-level best food ever for very cheap;
- everyone in Portugal seems to speak a lot of languages;
- quieter route, but less offer of food/accommodation (not to worrying levels though)
- cobblestones aplenty (i dont mind them, but my husband had his feet completely flattened) and a few roads;
- the challenge of Alto da Portela, which I thought was much harder than Cebreiro.

Anyway, I loved both. Whatever yo choose, is a good choice. For some people, starting in Porto may give the sensation of a "full route", but the camino starts when you leave your home's door, so do what you feel like doing! :)

For my first Camino, I'm dithering over starting from Astorga or Porto in September. Both are about the distance I want to walk, so that I can finish what I start in a reasonable period of time. I won't be in the best shape, so I'd prefer frequent opportunities to stop for the night without committing to long daily distances, especially the first week or so. Natural beauty and cultural interests are equally important to me and I'd prefer rural lanes to highway traffic. I doubt there is a bad choice, but can anyone who has done both routes offer pros and cons that might help me decide? Among all the guidebooks, I have yet to find the kind of overview that might help me choose.
Having done both, Astorga gets my vote.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very hard to say! Especially as chocolate is now off my menu! Close your eyes and put in a pin in a map... because whichever one you choose, you will probably do the other one later... ( I have walked both)

Astorga to Sarria is my favorite section of the French Way, but those would be some mean hills to climb without being in walking condition. I also left the U.S. out of shape, but the 500KM before Astorga at least got me into walking shape! Also, there are so extremely rocky sections that will be difficult if you are not already used to hiking. I've don't know Porto to Santiago, but I've walked the SW coast of Portugal, and it was much, much more forgiving than Astorga to Santiago. Good luck!

Most read last week in this forum

This may seem petty since the actual donation cost was minimal, but in February 2024, I sent some money to American Pilgrims (americanpilgrims.org) for two credentials in advance of an April 2024...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back