• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga to Santiago in March

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
To echo, yes there will be open Albergues but not necessarily the ones you plan for. Be flexible in your plans and you'll always find a place to lay your head. In the winter months I read of many open year-round only to arrive to closed doors. A quick question to a local often solved the problem of where to go instead or at times I got on the phone and called other Albergues listed in the guidebook I used. Haven't slept under the stars yet!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I too set off from Astorga on the 13th. I did the same stretch last year at the same time and all was good with almost all the usual facilities fully open - you will have no problems, Bama Bill. I hope you enjoy your time and possibly to see you along the way.

Sounds like Astorga is a popular starting point. I too will be starting there in 2020, planning to walk to Santiago and then do the Finisterre and Muxía route. Not sure yet if I will go in April or September; just have to see how some other commitments go. Buen Camino @Bama Bill and @Chris Day!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Astorga is one of my favorite places. The nice lady in the "Pilgrim store" across the street from the Guadi Palace, speaks perfect English, sells poles (mine were stolen) for only 25 Euro, and most importantly... will give you walking directions (4 minutes behind Cathedral) to the best café for thick, hot chocolate with churros. Astorga is famous for it"s chocolate (several chocolate factories in town) and in Spain, you don't drink the hot chocolate- it's too thick, - you dip your churros into it- Heaven!
And on your way out of town, about half way, you will come across a small church with A-Frame type roof and mosaic tile art covering the front. If open, go inside, and if the pastor is there and has time he will give you a great tour.
Then, just out side of town, you will walk by a small chapel. Built in the 1700's by a grateful mom when her baby was rescued by divine intervention. She had dropped her baby into a deep well and could not reach the baby. Then the well filled with water with her baby floating on top to her mother's grateful arms- or at least that's the legend I was told by a local man while driving me back to the camino after I wandered off, lost again.
The next stop is Murias de Rechivaldo. Super nice family cafe/bar. Stop and tell them Miguel "el guapo" sent you, see if they laugh. BUEN CAMINO

Attachments

• 20190922_113805.jpg
    20190922_113805.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Delightful! Looking forward to it! Thank you. I actually met the great lady in the Pilgrim store already when I ended the second leg of my Camino there. She is very gracious.

I am walking now and having no problems. More and more places (albergue and bars etc) open from mid March onwards - we walked March/April a couple if years ago. You do t have a big selection, but you will be fine ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.