• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga to Santiago -- lots of questions!

JenMaeNoyes

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2018)
Hello!

This is my first post, but have been reading for awhile. Back story: My plan was to walk from SJPD to Santiago, but I asked my teenage daughter if she'd like to come along on her first trip to Europe so................I decided I wanted her to see more of Europe on her first trip so we will be walking from Astorga to Santiago, July 2018. I chose Astorga as our starting point, because I want to go to Cruz de Ferro for personal/religious reasons. It's also important to us to earn our Compostela.

With that said, is it convenient to hop on a bus along our route after Cruz de Ferro, but before the start of the last 100 km at Sarria? Where would I find bus information and schedules? Or train?

Do we need reservations each night at the alburgues or can we just show up?

We are flying into Paris and will be heading to Germany and Poland. The goal is to fly from Warsaw to Madrid as that looks like our best option on how to get to Spain. I initially thought we'd go straight to Spain from Paris, but it looks like this is the most economical flight-wise and logistic-wise. How do we get from Madrid to Astorga?

Day 1: Astorga to Foncebadon
Day 2: Foncebadon to Ponferrada
Day 3: Ponferrada to Sarria (Train or bus -- how to do this?) Rest day as we will have been traveling since June 23rd,
Day 4 - ??? How many days will it take us to get to Santiago? I'd like to walk at a nice pace, but still be able to "smell the roses" during the day. Once we get to Santiago, will one day be enough there? I'm imaging we will be very tired after our long trip and from previous long trips I've taken -- I remember towards the end, being a tourist gets old and one just wants to sleep in their own bed. :)

Our flight out will be from Madrid. It looks like flying out of Santiago is the best way to go instead of a long plane ride. Is it easy to get to the airport from Santigo?

Thanks if you can help me in any way. I'm up for any suggestions on how to have the best walk with my daughter. I hope to one day be back to do the whole walk, but for now this will be our pilgrimage. Thank you!

Foncebadón to Ponferrada

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Train from Ponferrada to Saria is easy. So that is that. Your Day 1-2 plan is two very long days. We did that section in 3 days. The decent from Cruz is some very tough downhill, and if you have not been walking a lot you wil be beat by Ponferrada. I recommend 5-6 days Sarria to Santiago. 6-7 if you want to smell roses. Cruz was worth it for me. Hope you have a blast.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
With that said, is it convenient to hop on a bus along our route after Cruz de Ferro, but before the start of the last 100 km at Sarria? Where would I find bus information and schedules? Or train?

Here you have the site of RENFE (Spanish railroad): http://www.renfe.com/

Day 3: Ponferrada to Sarria (Train or bus -- how to do this?) Rest day as we will have been traveling since June 23rd,

That sounds OK. I would stay one day in Ponferrada. Nice town, a very interesting templar castle,...

During the summer I think it would be a good idea to make reservations in the sector between Sarria and SDC

Day 4 - ??? How many days will it take us to get to Santiago?

I would say 5 days + 1 day in Compostela

Is it easy to get to the airport from Santigo?

The airport is very close to the city. You can go by bus, taxi ... even walking!! :)

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Don't start walking too early in Astorga - both the chocolate museum (with samples!), the cathedral and the archbishop's palace (by the young Gaudi!) are well worth a look. I'd definitely go for three days rather than two for the first bit of your walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Triple echo the advice to take more than 2 days Astorga to Ponferrada. It can be done, but you won't be happy about it and it'd be two full days walking with no time to enjoy. However, three days pure walking is likely more than you'd need in my opinion. But this would allow you to:
1) Spend time in Astorga (all sights mentioned above). Be advised that some items like Gaudi palace and Chocolate museum are not open every day. They are both worth the visit as is the cathedral of course. But in general Astorga is just a cool village.
2) Enjoy Rabanal del Camino and perhaps stay here instead of Foncebadon although I prefer the latter.
3) Spend more time at the Cruz
4) Relax in Molinaseca - If you are there in July, join the locals by the river.
5) Spend time in Ponferrada. The castle is nice - the town wasn't my favorite because it was larger than others, but that's just personal preference.

If you have the option you might consider Ponferrada to Samos instead of Sarria. This would do two things for you: You'd get to stay at the monestary at Samos. You could walk from Samos to Sarria by late morning which puts you in a pocket between the crowds that tend to congregate at the typical stops along the last 100km.

Take 5 days from just after Sarria or 4 if you're really in a hurry (don't be). I'd like to put a plug in for the albergue at Ligonde called El Fuente Perigrino. Tiny villiage - beautiful people.

RE time in Santiago. I'd say 1 day is not enough. You could spend a week depending on your interest. However since you mentioned your compostella you need to reserve time to get it (lines can be long in July so I've been told), you'd likely want to go to the pilgrim mass in the cathedral. You'll want at least 30min to an hour just standing in front of the cathedral soaking in your accomplishment and watching others do the same. There are tons of museums, religious, and cultural sights. Honestly however, I wanted out of Santiago as quickly as I could...not because there was anything wrong with it, but because spiritually and emotionally I didn't like the tourism, crowds and hum....but that was my issue and not the city.

I agree with 3 days from Astorga to Ponferrada, though if you really want to do it in two then get a bus or taxi from Molinaseca to Ponferrada. It's only a few km, but not a particularly exciting part of the route, and after that descent you might well have had enough for the day. I know I did, and having had a fall hadn't helped.

I like the suggested to go to Samos, and then walk 4km beyond Sarria and stop in Barbadelo for the night. Then it's a shorter and easier day to Portomarin.

I walked with my daughter from Barbadelo (and she got her compostela starting from there as it's 110km from Santiago) over 5 days, We stayed in Portomarin, Portos (actually at a nearby Casa Rural in Lodoso as the albergue in Portos was fully booked), Melide, Arzua, and O Pedrouzo before arriving in Santiago. No day was more than 20km which suited us both, meaning we had energy to explore the towns in the evenings.

Have a wonderful time with your daughter.

Hello!

This is my first post, but have been reading for awhile. Back story: My plan was to walk from SJPD to Santiago, but I asked my teenage daughter if she'd like to come along on her first trip to Europe so................I decided I wanted her to see more of Europe on her first trip so we will be walking from Astorga to Santiago, July 2018. I chose Astorga as our starting point, because I want to go to Cruz de Ferro for personal/religious reasons. It's also important to us to earn our Compostela.

We are flying into Paris and will be heading to Germany and Poland. The goal is to fly from Warsaw to Madrid as that looks like our best option on how to get to Spain. I initially thought we'd go straight to Spain from Paris, but it looks like this is the most economical flight-wise and logistic-wise. How do we get from Madrid to Astorga?

Day 4 - ??? How many days will it take us to get to Santiago? I'd like to walk at a nice pace, but still be able to "smell the roses" during the day. Once we get to Santiago, will one day be enough there? I'm imaging we will be very tired after our long trip and from previous long trips I've taken -- I remember towards the end, being a tourist gets old and one just wants to sleep in their own bed. :)

Our flight out will be from Madrid. It looks like flying out of Santiago is the best way to go instead of a long plane ride. Is it easy to get to the airport from Santigo?

Thanks if you can help me in any way. I'm up for any suggestions on how to have the best walk with my daughter. I hope to one day be back to do the whole walk, but for now this will be our pilgrimage. Thank you!

Foncebadón to Ponferrada
I walked from Rabanal to Molinaseca in September 2017 and found the descent though Acebo as hard as any part of the Frances. It was a particularly hot day coupled with a very steep descent over loose gravel and rocks. The airport bus was 3 euros and departed every 30 minutes so could not be easier. Taxis from the same spot were advertised at 20 euros.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree that Foncebadon to Ponferrada is a very long day. I've always stayed overnight somewhere before Foncebadon, then walked on to El Acebo, staying in the albergue section of the lovely hotel and loved it! Walking in summer you would even get to swim in their pool! Then on to Ponferrada from there, stopping for lunch in beautiful Molineseca.

Hello!

Foncebadón to Ponferrada
Keep on walking after the Cruz until you come to O Cebreiro. Down the other side of the mountain to Hospital de la Condessa. Stay in the albergue there then next morning, a little local bus stops at the bottom of the steps to the albergue. This will take you via Samos to Sarria for €6. Depending on the day it arrives at 7 and 7:30 am. The local bar will tell you the time. It means doing it this way you get to see some of the sights including O Cebreiro. You also arrive in Sarria early enough for breakfast and with plenty of time to book a room for the night to rest before hitting the last 115 Km

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied to my questions! I appreciate it so much and now have something to work with. I will certainly take three days to get to Cruz de Ferro. :) If anyone else can answer my other questions, I'm all ears! Thank you again. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Our first family camino was a very leisurely three weeks walking from Astorga to Santiago, sandwiched in between a week in Paris and a couple of weeks in England. We were advised NOT to do "sightseeing" as part of a camino pilgrimage but I don't regret it for one moment! It was a perfect blend for us and many of our family have returned to do further caminos (on which, incidentally, we have come to prefer not sightseeing!)
We didn't need anywhere near three weeks but it was great to have the time available and not feel pressured.

Hello!

Foncebadón to Ponferrada
Days 1 and 2 sound hard, especially if you want to take it easy. i would seriously consider skipping the cruz and starting in Galicia. there is an airport bus in santiago or a short cab ride for a flat fare - easy. Good luck

Our first family camino was a very leisurely three weeks walking from Astorga to Santiago, sandwiched in between a week in Paris and a couple of weeks in England. We were advised NOT to do "sightseeing" as part of a camino pilgrimage but I don't regret it for one moment! It was a perfect blend for us and many of our family have returned to do further caminos (on which, incidentally, we have come to prefer not sightseeing!)
We didn't need anywhere near three weeks but it was great to have the time available and not feel pressured.

Why no sightseeing? Seems a pity......

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A couple years ago, for that section, we walked:
Astorga -Rabinal del Camino
Rabanal - El Acebo
El Acebo - Ponferrada

It worked out well.

For your other questions:

Train transport: You can find information on www.renfe.com - you can take trains from Madrid to Astorga and then from Ponferrada to Sarria also.

Booking beds ahead of time - some people do, some don't - we rarely did - and when we did book ahead, it was nothing more than calling ahead in the morning.

Days to get from Sarria to Santiago - it's about 110 km, so most people seem to take about 5 days to do it.

Santiago Airport - You will walk past it on your way into Santiago, so you could always walk to the airport, as mentioned. Or take a taxi. We took a taxi.

After Cruz de Ferro, the most convenient place to catch a bus would be Molinaseca.

You do not need to book lodging in albergues, however, if you are going in July, you chance finding the albergue full

I cannot imagine spending only one day in Santiago, as there is SO much to see there, including the Museu de Pobo Gallego (folk museum), the Cathedral, the Cathedral Museum, and many other sights.

Taxi from Santiago to the airport is around €20 and you won't have any problems finding a cab.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Rabanal to Ponferrada in one day on my first Camino and didn't find it to be too hard, but I had been walking for several weeks by that point. I would have probably felt differently if it had been just my second day!

I agree that walking down from the Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo is not easy. Rocky and difficult path. You can take the road, but it is much longer, and you have to watch for traffic. And hot bitumen in July would be horrible.

I agree that walking down from the Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo is not easy. Rocky and difficult path. You can take the road, but it is much longer, and you have to watch for traffic. And hot bitumen in July would be horrible.
Foncebadon to El Acebo is one of my very favorite stretches on the Frances, especially in late April! It was stunning, even if it seemed going downhill forever after Cruz!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why no sightseeing? Seems a pity......
That's exactly what we thought and why we ignored the advice! So our first walk was part of a bigger whole. On other occasions we have been more focussed on walking and that also served us well. Of course we visited cathedrals and churches and museums and ruins as we came across them - but on the whole, if we are doing a long camino we have found we prefer to walk a shorter day in order to have time in a place rather than stopping for a few days. It's just personal preference. Before I went I did not understand that there is a difference between being a tourist or even traveller and a walker, but it appears there is. I suspect there is also a difference between a walker and a hiker. Of course the lines may blur or be crossed.

That's exactly what we thought and why we ignored the advice! So our first walk was part of a bigger whole. On other occasions we have been more focussed on walking and that also served us well. Of course we visited cathedrals and churches and museums and ruins as we came across them - but on the whole, if we are doing a long camino we have found we prefer to walk a shorter day in order to have time in a place rather than stopping for a few days. It's just personal preference. Before I went I did not understand that there is a difference between being a tourist or even traveller and a walker, but it appears there is. I suspect there is also a difference between a walker and a hiker. Of course the lines may blur or be crossed.

Ahh. I get it. Then we are not sightseerers either. We tend to visit cathedrals etc on days off or short days. I can’t imagine stopping for ‘days’ anywhere, I want to keep moving on the journey....

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A good 5 day schedule for Sarria to Santiago is:
Sarria to Portomarin 21.6km
Portomarin to Palas de Rei 24.1km
Palas de Rei to Ribadiso 25km
Ribadiso to Pedrouzo 23.6km
Pedrouzo to Santiago 19.6km

I would suggest with one day in Santiago you will get to see quite a lot. I would also suggest that the main priority is the pilgrim mass at midday. I would also suggest one of the 'free' walking tours of Santiago that leave Praza do Obradoiro at 10 am and 11 am (check with the tourist office), also a guided tour of the Cathedral roof and Museum and a tour of the Museum of Pilgrimage.

€83,-
Forgot to add that you can get a direct bus from Madrid airport terminal T4 to Astorga. There are 5 buses a day, the journey takes about 5 hours and costs about €25 (www.alsa.es).

Don't start walking too early in Astorga - both the chocolate museum (with samples!), the cathedral and the archbishop's palace (by the young Gaudi!) are well worth a look. I'd definitely go for three days rather than two for the first bit of your walk.

Thank you for this info. I attempted to walk the Camino last June/July (2017) from SJPP but unfortunately had to cut it short due to unforeseen pain in both feet. I had anticipated every conceivable foot problem but inflamed bursas (my doctor's diagnosis once home - bursitis in both heels - excruciating). After limping along for about 100 or so miles, I finally decided I had to go home to heal. I left from Astorga. So much pain I said "never again". Now, I'm ready to go back next year, starting from Astorga. I saw some beautiful buildings there, and someone gave me a wonderful piece of chocolate. Now I know when I return , I need not hurry away without seeing the beauty of it.

Hello!

Foncebadón to Ponferrada
I walked the camino last fall and the Cruz de Ferro was a greatly anticipated place for me. I do not wish to dampen your spirits and I would just like to share my experience. I brought my little prayed over rock and was very much looking forward to spending some time at the cross meditating on all the rocks laid down by prior pilgrim, carrying their hopes, dreams, and prayers. When I arrived there were 10-12 people there who seemed delighted to run up to the cross and pose with their hands waving like Rocky. I know that expectations can be our worst enemies and I was sad.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So sorry for your disappointment. My experience was one of reflection, as my son and I were alone. Before we left an older couple showed as we came back down, bowed their heads and shed tears at the cross while holding hands. A very sobering sight to witness. I assumed it was due to the loss of a loved one at some point in time.

@Lady M, thank you for sharing your experience, and warning others that the Cruz de Ferro is treated differently by different pilgrims.

That said, @JanMaeNoyes posted this in early 2018, and hasn't been back on the forum for a long time, so is unlikely to see your advice to her.

Hello!

Foncebadón to Ponferrada
I don’t know sort of shape you two are in. Astoria to Foncebadon is a rough opener. I’d consider stopping in Rabanal, the Acebo, then Ponferrada. Lots of busses and trains in Ponferrada.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.