• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga to Santiago, November 2012

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
In November, I walked 264 km from Astorga to Santiago de Compostela, Spain, in 13 days with my sister-in-law. I'm already thinking about the next time - a longer route. Thank you to everyone who posts such good information here on the forum.

Here are some bits of advice for others, particularly for those around my age at 64.

Weather: We got a bit of everything from wet snow (near the Cruz de Ferro) to sunny warm weather, plenty of rain and fog. Ideally I might try to walk from mid-October next time, but November was great.

Fitness: As a moderately fit but NOT athletic, I didn't know how it would be. I knew I could comfortably walk 15-20 km, even with a backpack, but I never tried it day after day after day. However, we walked 15-25 km each day for 13 days. I would happily have continued for another 264 km. Of course, a minor injury or flareup of old injury could easily have happened and interferred with the schedule.

Backpack and contents: Osprey Talon 33 backpack - perfect. In the small/medium size, it weighs 820 g and only holds 31 L, but that was enough. I followed the guideline of carrying no more than 10% of my body weight, which was about 6 kg. Once you include the backpack itself, a sleeping bag and rain gear, there is not much room or weight allowance left. But weight is extremely important and each extra kilogram can causes significant distress. Suffice it to say that minimalist is the way to go. In summary, I had 3 layers on top (base, medium, warm), 2 on bottom (long johns and light weight pants), plus rain pants and jacket, one change of base layer (top and bottom), and 2 spare underpants and socks. That's it. I had another medium layer shirt which I didn't use; next time I'll trade it for a t-shirt plus safari-style overshirt. Would consider a second pair of light-weight pants, but in fact my rain pants served as my emergency change. Don't take anything more!

Walking sticks: I used Black Diamond walking poles that weigh only 260 g, fold up to 14" length (like a white cane) and fit easily into any backpack. I never walked with poles before and felt silly at first, but they are the norm on the Camino. Some people say you must train in advance, but I tried them twice for 20 minutes, with half-an-hour of research on YouTube, and that was enough. Once on the Camino, you learn fast! I believe that they transfered a minor amount of weight from my legs to my upper body, and also encouraged a nice symmetrical regular gait that helped my endurance a lot and helped keep me free of injury. Also important for balance on tricky areas.

Boots: Salomon hiking boots fit me like gloves and they were perfect. No blisters in 300 km. I found, days before departure, that they were not fully waterproof in spite of the GoreTex. However, they fit me so well that I didn't complain and I would take them again.

Sleeping bag: It is necessary during the cooler season, unless you definitely plan to always stay in the slightly more expensive private accommodations. We only used ours on 3 of the 13 nights, but I would take it again. I used a lightweight Hotcore polyfill bag , the T100.

Navigation: Piece of cake. I took the John Brierley guide with detailed information for each day - total kilometers, distances on paths/roads/highways, elevation profiles, lists of places to stay, etc. With that in hand, we just followed the yellow arrows to Santiago. When there was any uncertainty, we'd wait a few minutes until someone else passed by and we followed them. Worked OK. (But I still am mildly obsessive about knowing where I am on the map.)

Bedbugs: Yes, we encountered them, briefly it seems. On arrival home I put all washables straight into the washer and then a double dose of hot dryer. Most non-washables including my backpack and paper goods went into the deep freezer for a week at -18C. I carefully examined and wiped down other items such as electronics and toiletries. This is another reason to carry minimal stuff, as it makes decontamination much simpler.

Spanish: My Spanish is pretty good, which certainly enhanced my enjoyment. However, many people did it with virtually no Spanish. .

Alone or with Companions: To my surprise, most people seemed to be walking independently, but often not alone. The Camino is as social an event as you choose. People walk together for an hour or a day or longer, then alone or with others, only to meet up 3 days later in a coffee shop or albergue, or in the cathedral square in Santiago. It would be hard to find a place en route where you could stop and not have other pilgrims passing within 10 minutes. More often, a dozen would pass within 10 minutes. The route crosses roads often, villages are found every 5 km or so, and taxis are available by phone. Going with my sister-in-law gave us lots of talk time to catch up on each other and our families, and it allowed us to get private rooms for a reasonable price (being shared). On the other hand, we were so busy chatting that perhaps we didn't get the contemplation time that a long walk can provide. Traveling in a pair or group changes and limits the way you interact with other pilgrims. I think I would like to try it on my own next time, at least for part of the trip.

There WILL be a next time!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In November, I walked 264 km from Astorga to Santiago de Compostela, Spain, in 13 days with my sister-in-law. I'm already thinking about the next time - a longer route. Thank you to everyone who posts such good information here on the forum.

Here are some bits of advice for others, particularly for those around my age at 64.

Weather: We got a bit of everything from wet snow (near the Cruz de Ferro) to sunny warm weather, plenty of rain and fog. Ideally I might try to walk from mid-October next time, but November was great.

Fitness: As a moderately fit but NOT athletic, I didn't know how it would be. I knew I could comfortably walk 15-20 km, even with a backpack, but I never tried it day after day after day. However, we walked 15-25 km each day for 13 days. I would happily have continued for another 264 km. Of course, a minor injury or flareup of old injury could easily have happened and interferred with the schedule.

Backpack and contents: Osprey Talon 33 backpack - perfect. In the small/medium size, it weighs 820 g and only holds 31 L, but that was enough. I followed the guideline of carrying no more than 10% of my body weight, which was about 6 kg. Once you include the backpack itself, a sleeping bag and rain gear, there is not much room or weight allowance left. But weight is extremely important and each extra kilogram can causes significant distress. Suffice it to say that minimalist is the way to go. In summary, I had 3 layers on top (base, medium, warm), 2 on bottom (long johns and light weight pants), plus rain pants and jacket, one change of base layer (top and bottom), and 2 spare underpants and socks. That's it. I had another medium layer shirt which I didn't use; next time I'll trade it for a t-shirt plus safari-style overshirt. Would consider a second pair of light-weight pants, but in fact my rain pants served as my emergency change. Don't take anything more!

Walking sticks: I used Black Diamond walking poles that weigh only 260 g, fold up to 14" length (like a white cane) and fit easily into any backpack. I never walked with poles before and felt silly at first, but they are the norm on the Camino. Some people say you must train in advance, but I tried them twice for 20 minutes, with half-an-hour of research on YouTube, and that was enough. Once on the Camino, you learn fast! When I watch video clips of me walking with them, it looks silly - as if I am gently but uselessly tapping them on the ground. At the same time, though, I look like I am walking very comfortably and lightly - almost dancing along. I believe that they transfered a minor amount of weight from my legs to my upper body, and also encouraged a nice symmetrical regular gait that helped my endurance a lot and helped keep me free of injury.

Boots: Salomon hiking boots fit me like gloves and they were perfect. No blisters in 300 km. I found, days before departure, that they were not fully waterproof in spite of the GoreTex. However, they fit me so well that I didn't complain and I would take them again.

Sleeping bag: It is necessary during the cooler season, unless you definitely plan to always stay in the slightly more expensive private accommodations. We only used ours on 3 of the 13 nights, but I would take it again. I used a lightweight Hotcore polyfill bag , the T100.

Navigation: Piece of cake. I took the John Brierley guide with detailed information for each day - total kilometers, distances on paths/roads/highways, elevation profiles, lists of places to stay, etc. With that in hand, we just followed the yellow arrows to Santiago. When there was any uncertainty, we'd wait a few minutes until someone else passed by and we followed them. Worked OK. (But I still am mildly obsessive about knowing where I am on the map.)

Bedbugs: Yes, we encountered them, briefly it seems. On arrival home I put all washables straight into the washer and then a double dose of hot dryer. Most non-washables including my backpack and paper goods went into the deep freezer for a week at -18C. I carefully examined and wiped down other items such as electronics and toiletries. This is another reason to carry minimal stuff, as it makes decontamination much simpler.

Spanish: My Spanish is pretty good, which certainly enhanced my enjoyment. However, many people did it with virtually no Spanish. .

Alone or with Companions: To my surprise, most people seemed to be walking independently, but often not alone. The Camino is as social an event as you choose. People walk together for an hour or a day or longer, then alone or with others, only to meet up 3 days later in a coffee shop or albergue, or in the cathedral square in Santiago. It would be hard to find a place en route where you could stop and not have other pilgrims passing within 10 minutes. More often, a dozen would pass within 10 minutes. The route crosses roads often, villages are found every 5 km or so, and taxis are available by phone. Going with my sister-in-law gave us lots of talk time to catch up on each other and our families, and it allowed us to get private rooms for a reasonable price (being shared). On the other hand, we were so busy chatting that perhaps we didn't get the contemplation time that a long walk can provide. Traveling in a pair or group changes and limits the way you interact with other pilgrims. I think I would like to try it on my own next time, at least for part of the trip.

There WILL be a next time!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Clare, I am planning the same trip at the end of January but only have 7 days on the trail so will need to bus-hop between several towns. I am definitely planning to walk Astorga to O Cabreiro but will likely need to pick and choose after that depending on weather. I have not done the Camino before so have many question but here are two of the biggies:

1. I am using David Brierley's book as well. How will I know which accommodations are open in January?
2. Is there bus service between the smaller towns and if so where do I find information?

Thanks so much.

Hi and welcome to the forum @markinwinter

Why don't you simply walk from Sarria to Santiago? All the Xunta albergues will be open and you have that continous experience that you will miss when hopping on and off a bus constantly.

Buen Camino, SY

Hi Clare, I am planning the same trip at the end of January but only have 7 days on the trail so will need to bus-hop between several towns. I am definitely planning to walk Astorga to O Cabreiro but will likely need to pick and choose after that depending on weather. I have not done the Camino before so have many question but here are two of the biggies:
1. I am using David Brierley's book as well. How will I know which accommodations are open in January?
2. Is there bus service between the smaller towns and if so where do I find information?
Thanks so much.
It was interesting to read my post from 2012. Since then I have walked longer routes 3 more times and my advice would stay the same.

Someone might post the link to the page that has a list of albergues open in winter. However, based on my experience in November and March, this stretch of the route will have enough open accommodation in all the popular stopping points, such as those listed in Brierley. You can ask at each albergue, or you can call ahead each day if you are in doubt.

Regarding having 7 days only... Do you have a particular reason to include the Astorga - O Cebreiro part? It is one of my favourite sections, but if you want to get a compostela, you have to walk all the way from Sarria to Santiago, which typically takes 5 days.

I don't have the bus information, but the major towns would be connected. However, it might only be one or 2 buses a day, so it will be hard to combine bus and walking efficiently. Perhaps there is a bus from Molinaseca to Sarria, but that would still be tight to fit into 7 days.

Another thought, if you don't mind not getting a compostela, is to simply enjoy the walk from Astorga to Sarria or Portomarin and not go to Santiago (or get a bus there from your stopping point).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks so much.

Astorga to Foncebedon there is bus service once per week. On that day it goes to Astorga in the AM and returns in the afternoon.

I have not found bus service to any village from Foncebedon to Ponferrada. The caveat is that doesn't mean there isn't any. There might be local buses from Ponferrada bus station.

There is ALSA bus service from Ponferrada to Piedrafita do Cebreiro several times daily.

There is Gonzalez y de la Riva bus service from Ponferrada to villages up to La Faba. Some of this is by prearrangement only.

There is Monbus bus service from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to Sarria once per day to and from.

There is Empresa Portomarin bus service from Sarria to Portomarin. I think but do not know if this is local bus service that stops anywhere on the route.

There is Monbus and Empresa Portomarin bus service from Portomarin to Lugo. There is not bus service direct from Portomarin to Palas de Rei.

Empresa Freire operates frequent bus service from Santiago to Lugo, leaving the camino at Palas de Rei.

It was interesting to read my post from 2012. Since then I have walked longer routes 3 more times and my advice would stay the same.

Someone might post the link to the page that has a list of albergues open in winter. However, based on my experience in November and March, this stretch of the route will have enough open accommodation in all the popular stopping points, such as those listed in Brierley. You can ask at each albergue, or you can call ahead each day if you are in doubt.

Regarding having 7 days only... Do you have a particular reason to include the Astorga - O Cebreiro part? It is one of my favourite sections, but if you want to get a compostela, you have to walk all the way from Sarria to Santiago, which typically takes 5 days.

I don't have the bus information, but the major towns would be connected. However, it might only be one or 2 buses a day, so it will be hard to combine bus and walking efficiently. Perhaps there is a bus from Molinaseca to Sarria, but that would still be tight to fit into 7 days.

Another thought, if you don't mind not getting a compostela, is to simply enjoy the walk from Astorga to Sarria or Portomarin and not go to Santiago (or get a bus there from your stopping point).

Thank you all for your thoughts. Yes, I am more concerned about the interest and quality of the walk than getting the compostela (although I would like to have the paper and stamps as a souvenir). I hope to return to do the entire pilgrimage soon. I am flying out of Santiago on the 31st so will need to end up there at some point. If you all believe there will be some form of accommodation at most all the small towns I may just walk for 5 or 6 days and then take transportation of some sort the rest of the way to Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you all believe there will be some form of accommodation at most all the small towns I may just walk for 5 or 6 days and then take transportation of some sort the rest of the way to Santiago.
I am a 68-year-old woman and I would be totally confident to do that. (My Spanish is functional and I'd have a cell phone with data.) There will be accommodation at all the major stops shown in Brierley. Each day I would look at the map, see what my options are if I don't want to walk to the next major stop, ask at my current accommodation, talk to fellow pilgrims, etc. I might decide to call ahead and make a reservation if I were alone and uncertain that day. (Don't plan a late arrival in a tiny village without first confirming the accommodation.)

Buen camino!

Thank you all for your thoughts. Yes, I am more concerned about the interest and quality of the walk than getting the compostela (although I would like to have the paper and stamps as a souvenir). I hope to return to do the entire pilgrimage soon. I am flying out of Santiago on the 31st so will need to end up there at some point. If you all believe there will be some form of accommodation at most all the small towns I may just walk for 5 or 6 days and then take transportation of some sort the rest of the way to Santiago.
If you are going to do the whole thing soon (assuming you mean the Frances from St Jean, then why not do a different route for these five or six days? Maybe the Ingles? http://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.