• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga to Santiago

Okapi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2022)
Hello there,

I'm planning to walk a part of the Camino Frances in the beginning of September. I found a route planner where I can see distance between areas/towns. I'm a bit concerned if these places will provide albergues that are open. My plan is to go from Astorga to Santiago. rougly 270km:

Astorga
Rabanal del Camino
Riego de Ambrós
Fuentes Nuevas
Pereje
La Faba
Fonfría
Samos
Barbadelo
Portomarín
Palas de Rei
A Peroxa (Boente)
Salceda
San Paio
Santiago de Compostela

I'm curious if these stops are available? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @Okapi and welcome here!

Rest assured , you will have no problems finding an albergue or other lodgings in these places. Beginning of September is still " high season " on the Francès so you will be ok!

Maybe you already know about Gronze?
Very good website to give you more detailed information.

Happy preparations!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Astorga? Such a shame you will be missing David at his place just before Astorga! Such a wonderful man!

Gronze.com is a great resource for seeing where there are places to stay. For example, it shows that Riego de Ambros has a small alberque and a Pension, but El Acebo (the town right before) and Molinaseca (the town right after) have many more choices.

Astorga? Such a shame you will be missing David at his place just before Astorga! Such a wonderful man!
I keep seeing reports that David has moved on. I stopped at his place in 2010 and again in 2016, and marveled at his generosity and tenacity, as well as the many changes he had made over that time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last edited:
I hope he's well. I always enjoy my brief stay to chat with David.
Not surprised he needed to take a break from it all !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will not have a problem finding a bed on that route. Will still be busy as many people choose September to avoid the crowds of the holiday months!

20181012_131947.jpg20181012_131947.jpgthis is who was managing it Oct 2018 while the other (Dave I guess) went on camino, as he told us.. an Italian fellow, interesting character... very interested for feedback on the soup he made. he loved my sister for honestly telling him it needed more salt and for washing her cup. he named her supermom for doing so.

Last edited:
Distance Planner
I used this link to quickly search / recalibrate distances...by clicking city/town name on left, new distances to reach subsequent towns appear on right. I didnt have to do math..it was particularly helpful to plan 2 days .. 3 ...4 days out .. to avoid unexpectedly creating undesirable distances.And Gronze for more detailed info incl. accommodation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For more re David re recent 2018 dates see https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/davids-refreshment-stand-before-astorga.48584/

Note this happy news dated April 20, 2019

When I passed by in June the Italian was setting up early morning. My understanding is the David is gone for good.

You will not have a problem finding a bed on that route. Will still be busy as many people choose September to avoid the crowds of the holiday months!
Hello there,

I'm planning to walk a part of the Camino Frances in the beginning of September. I found a route planner where I can see distance between areas/towns. I'm a bit concerned if these places will provide albergues that are open. My plan is to go from Astorga to Santiago. rougly 270km:

Astorga
Rabanal del Camino
Riego de Ambrós
Fuentes Nuevas
Pereje
La Faba
Fonfría
Samos
Barbadelo
Portomarín
Palas de Rei
A Peroxa (Boente)
Salceda
San Paio
Santiago de Compostela

Thanks.
Hiya Okapi, I'm doing more or less the same route in September and have booked places in advance the whole way without any problems through Booking. com
Hello there,

Astorga
Rabanal del Camino
Riego de Ambrós
Fuentes Nuevas
Pereje
La Faba
Fonfría
Samos
Barbadelo
Portomarín
Palas de Rei
A Peroxa (Boente)
Salceda
San Paio
Santiago de Compostela

Thanks.
Hello there,

Astorga
Rabanal del Camino
Riego de Ambrós
Fuentes Nuevas
Pereje
La Faba
Fonfría
Samos
Barbadelo
Portomarín
Palas de Rei
A Peroxa (Boente)
Salceda
San Paio
Santiago de Compostela

Thanks.

Hi everybody,

I apologize that I left your replies unanswered all the way back in 2019. Life got in the way, but I'm now preparing to go in April 2022. I'm still planning for a trip that can be done in two weeks time, so I suppose the route is still valid. I will probably need to bring a windbreaker and some pants for this time of the year.

By the way, I'm sitting here looking at a Camino passport/credentials that I got some years ago. I assume this one can still be used? Don't see any expiration or such.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Hope I'm not breaking any rules by reviving this old post.

/Chris

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello there,

Astorga
Rabanal del Camino
Riego de Ambrós
Fuentes Nuevas
Pereje
La Faba
Fonfría
Samos
Barbadelo
Portomarín
Palas de Rei
A Peroxa (Boente)
Salceda
San Paio
Santiago de Compostela

Thanks.

The albergues will be open, but you may have difficulty finding a bed in some of these towns on some days in in September-without a reservation.
La Faba is quite small with limited bed space. I wouldn’t plan staying there without calling ahead. Portomarin - while a lot more inventory, weekends can fill up in this semi-resort town. Casa Barbadelo fills up quickly. Pereje has limited availability. Also check for local festivals when every bed in a town will be taken.
Best bet call ahead!

The albergues will be open, but you may have difficulty finding a bed in some of these towns on some days in in September-without a reservation.
La Faba is quite small with limited bed space. I wouldn’t plan staying there without calling ahead. Portomarin - while a lot more inventory, weekends can fill up in this semi-resort town. Casa Barbadelo fills up quickly. Pereje has limited availability. Also check for local festivals when every bed in a town will be taken.
Best bet call ahead!
Hi Marbe. Thanks for the infos. I'm actually planning to go in April next year (I'm the fool who continue my old topic from 2019, sorry).

Doesn't April make it easier to find accomodation?

I'm not sure if there are other obstacles as it's early in the season?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In part, yes, but Semana Santa (the week before Easter Sunday) definitely reqiuires special planning, especially from Sarria to Santiago.
Thanks C, that's very helpful to know. I also read somewhere that it's a holy year in 2022. So that might make 2022 more crowded than usual?

I'm flexible on the dates, so I might adjust the trip to later in April. And perhaps slightly warmer weather, if luck permits.

Thanks C, that's very helpful to know. I also read somewhere that it's a holy year in 2022. So that might make 2022 more crowded than usual?

I'm flexible on the dates, so I might adjust the trip to later in April. And perhaps slightly warmer weather, if luck permits.
I did my 1st Camino April 2018 never called ahead for a bed. My 2nd was Sept.2019 needed to call ahead it was much busier. Camino #3 will be April 23rd (after Easter) with reservations in Santiago May 26th for Ascension Day, a huge party with dancing, music, fair at Alameda Park and Friday night there was an orchestra! I came upon it quite by accident the 1st time, planned this years trip around it.
BTW O’Cebreiro had snow April 30, 2018!!!

By the way, I'm sitting here looking at a Camino passport/credentials that I got some years ago. I assume this one can still be used? Don't see any expiration or such.
Did you complete the credencial and get a Compostela in Santiago? If that is the case, the credencial is done and you need to start a new one.

If not, the traditional thing is to start again in the place that you got the last stamp, get another stamp from there, and continue on. You can break the Camino up into as many separate sections/trips as you want, but so long as you always stop/start at the same place and record it as such in the credencial, it is seen as one Camino. It is especially important to use this method when you break the Camino in the last 100 km to show there are no gaps (if you want the Compostela). If there are gaps outside the final 100 km, it doesn't have a bearing on your Compostela (although it might affect your distance certificate, if you want one).

Next time I walk the Camino Frances I plan to take an old credencial (from 1989) that only has the Roncesvalles stamp and get the other stamps filled in. I'm assuming there is no expiration.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did my 1st Camino April 2018 never called ahead for a bed. My 2nd was Sept.2019 needed to call ahead it was much busier. Camino #3 will be April 23rd (after Easter) with reservations in Santiago May 26th for Ascension Day, a huge party with dancing, music, fair at Alameda Park and Friday night there was an orchestra! I came upon it quite by accident the 1st time, planned this years trip around it.
BTW O’Cebreiro had snow April 30, 2018!!!
Cheers Caligal. Good to know that I won't need the reservations if I go early. And yes, the weather can be tricky around spring time!

Did you complete the credencial and get a Compostela in Santiago? If that is the case, the credencial is done and you need to start a new one.

If not, the traditional thing is to start again in the place that you got the last stamp, get another stamp from there, and continue on. You can break the Camino up into as many separate sections/trips as you want, but so long as you always stop/start at the same place and record it as such in the credencial, it is seen as one Camino. It is especially important to use this method when you break the Camino in the last 100 km to show there are no gaps (if you want the Compostela). If there are gaps outside the final 100 km, it doesn't have a bearing on your Compostela (although it might affect your distance certificate, if you want one).

Next time I walk the Camino Frances I plan to take an old credencial (from 1989) that only has the Roncesvalles stamp and get the other stamps filled in. I'm assuming there is no expiration.
Hi David. I was a little vague about the credential. I bought a guide book back in '19 and it came with the credential, so the one I have is completely unused. I wasn't able to find any notes on expiration and you confirmed that there isn't one, thanks!

In my humble opinion, the Camino is going to be chockablock in 2022 if Covid holds off. It seems like every third person I talk to wants to start in APRIL.
This does NOT mean you should book ahead all the time, or bail out now. It DOES mean you should come equipped for anything if you intend to walk April - October of 2022.

Hi David. I was a little vague about the credential. I bought a guide book back in '19 and it came with the credential, so the one I have is completely unused. I wasn't able to find any notes on expiration and you confirmed that there isn't one, thanks!
I understand. I was a lot vague about the credencial in 1989. They gave me one in Roncesvalles and said I should get it stamped but I didn't concern myself with it and never got another stamp. It's a good thing I was similarly unconcerned about getting the Compostela at the end of the Camino. When I went in 2016, I filled two credencials and got a Compostela. Now that I've dug out the 1989 credencial, I'd like to fill it on my next Camino Frances. But I know that I'll need to have an official credencial as well to get my Compostela. The 1989 one doesn't have spots for two stamps a day in the last 100 km.

In my humble opinion, the Camino is going to be chockablock in 2022 if Covid holds off. It seems like every third person I talk to wants to start in APRIL.
This does NOT mean you should book ahead all the time, or bail out now. It DOES mean you should come equipped for anything if you intend to walk April - October of 2022.
Oh, plot twist! I actually don't mind if there's some company on the trail. Was somewhat worried if there might be "too" few people, and especially combined with the temperamental weather.

Thanks for teaching me a new word by the way. Don't think I've seen chockablock before :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yikes! Trust me to start in April this year! Doh. I promised an old friend I would walk with her, it’ll be her first Camino. Ah well, we shall see what it brings 😎

My wife and I walked CF in Sept - Oct. It was depressing, but not a surprise how many albergues and bars / restaurants were closed. We always stopped at a bar / restaurant near the edge of town in Acebo. It was shut down as well as several others. In fact, there were few open places when we walked through on October 11. Riego de Ambros was likewise mostly closed. We stayed at the municipal there in 2015. During our last camino, we hiked from Rabanal del Camino to Molinaseca. A challenging hike, but Molinaseca has many nice places to stay as well as food shops, bars and restaurants. Hopefully things will be better next fall. Bob

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.