• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

At 62 thinking of getting my first tattoo, A Tau Cross?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the inside of my right forearm and not too dark - what do you guys think?
If it’s meaningful to you - it’s your body.

Tattooing in the UK has moved on in my lifetime. An aged uncle who was ex-navy had a few which looked like they had been made whilst both participants to the process had been inebriated. And probably so.

Mrs Htd was a medical officer in a UK prison in the 80’s and says that 90% of the inmates had a visible tattoo on arrival and 99% on departure. A good proportion were on the knuckles and spelled ACAB; which they sometimes claimed represented ‘always carry a bible’; a more believable explanation referred to the alleged indeterminate parentage of police officers.

Now, various god-children have subtle well-executed tattoos in usually concealed locations, and they are works of art. And were expensive.

Sit in front of any bar in a Spanish city and I’d estimate one in three of the passers-by under 30 have a visible tattoo.

Times change.

Personal recommendation is the only way to go.

Perhaps try a temporary for a while and see how you feel about it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I thought the OP was asking us what we think of the Tau cross design. I googled and it is rather attractive and seems to have a good meaning. It certainly gets my vote as it is a huge step up from skulls, evil looking dragons, vipers, and the like. If that cross has meaning to him, I say go for it.
I myself have a small ankle tattoo of a palm tree. It has a lot of significance for me and invokes many fond memories.

I'm not a fan of tattoos; I think jewelry and clothing can do the work for them and easily changed for variety. I can see it in some cases and I even recommended one once. Two sisters each with an identical palm tree to symbolize sisterhood. One died and I told the other to add another tree.

Edit: Oops. Chris and I submitted our posts at the same time. Identity blown. [blush]

I'm not a fan of tattoos; I think jewelry and clothing can do the work for them and easily changed for variety. I can see it in some cases and I even recommended one once. Two sisters each with an identical palm tree to symbolize sisterhood. One died and I told the other to add another tree.
That's me, Rick! You remembered! My sister and myself had many tropical snorkeling trips together over the years.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If it means something special to you, then why not? I got my first, and only, tattoo at 60 in Lisbon after my second Camino Frances. Make sure your tattooist uses high quality black ink, ask to see the brand new needle(s) taken out of the packaging, and follow the instructions for skin care in the following week. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Walking in Japan I found the hot spring bathing was a real joy. Many onsens ban people with tattoos from using the facilities. I'd hate to bar myself from that experience in future and I definitely do want to visit Japan again. Enough for me to say no personally.
I have a couple of tattoos from other treks and have been meaning to add a Camino one for a while though not happened yet. Yes they can present some problems if visiting Japan esp if you want to experience the onsens which is a must, and some accommodations offer the communal style bathing as their base bath options! I think there is a degree of flexibility somewhat but it may be a hassle. Was due to go back to a Japan last year for the first time with tattoos but was cancelled.

I would get the tattoo local to my home so maybe you can chat to the artist first and feel comfortable first. The odd person does faint!

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Do you already have an idea of how you want it to look? If you haven't already, you can google "Tau Cross Tattoos" to get an idea of what others have done in terms of design, size and color. Then you could refine your idea, take it to a good tattoo artist and work with him/her to come up with a design that you like.

Hi again RENSHAW!
Final comment from me
By asking the question you obviously want one!
Cos if you didn't want one you wouldn't ask the question!

It's a bit like does my bum look big in this; no one wants to hear the answer Yes!
Woody
Ps My next tattoo will be in May for my 69th birthday and i will hopefully be back for one on my 70th!
I might be the first to get a Camino tattoo;that incorporates wrinkles as part of it's aesthetic appeal🤣 !
Woody

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tattooing is a process based on the injection of metals. This is what gives the colors. It results in a toxic contamination by heavy metals. So to avoid to stay in good health and to allow to redo the ways of Compostelle.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tattooing is a process based on the injection of metals. This is what gives the colors. It results in a toxic contamination by heavy metals. So to avoid to stay in good health and to allow to redo the ways of Compostelle.
Marc you are absolutely right. The immune system has a very hard time dealing with tattoos and they are not recommended. The tattoo is identified as a foreign invader and the body struggles to clear it up. I think over the long term, tattoos will become treated much like smoking is now- a thing of the past due to health issues.

I don't think tattoos will ever become a 'thing of the past'..or, at least, as they have been around as long as humans have been around, they are of the past. And (I think) will always be with us.

Some people really don't like them - some people really do like them.

At the age of 66 and (ahem) quite wrinkly I still love my tattoos. They are signifiers of important aspects of my life.

No one else can make the decision for you.

"Those who want go ahead with getting a tattoo anyway despite the risks should consider steering clear of colors derived from heavy metals. Dr. Kunin reports that black might be the safest permanent tattoo ink; it is often derived from a substance called carbon black and rarely causes any kind of sensitivity issues. If your heart is set on red in your tattoo, ask around to see if any tattoo parlors in your area are willing to work with non-metallic organic pigments that lend a red color such as carmine, scarlet lake, sandalwood or brazilwood. There are non-metallic alternatives available for many other popular tattoo ink shades, too."

There you go, safe alternatives can be used.

I think a lot of the problem people have with tattoos is not the safety issues but that they just don't like them, on themselves or anyone else. They should live their own lifes and worry less about what others do or want to do.

Last edited:
I got my Camino tattoo after I got home, with much planning, not from cheapy shop on a sidestreet in Santiago. I was never a fan of tattoos, but by the end of my Camino, I knew I would get one.
Got it at 60, now 65 and still love it.
I do not equate the Tau cross to the Camino, but if it means something to you is what matters.

I got my first tattoo at 40 and love it, and the others I've had since, all in fine-line black ink: a trinity symbol, a shell, and a three hares design. I love the idea of a Tau cross: very Franciscan.
My recommendation is to research tattooists: find someone whose style you like and who is prepared to listen to your ideas. Also, take their advice on placement. Good artists have a good sense of what works well where on the arm and will take their time to ensure you're happy with it before they start inking.
Peace and all good!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got my first tattoo just prior to my 62nd birthday as a commemorative of my first Camino.
As a (former) punk rocker, I’d somehow never got around to getting inked.
Don’t listen to the nay-sayers. Tattoos are completely mainstream now. They are a traditional art form, from around the World.
I agonized about what to get, and settled on this. The Spanish is “the path is made by walking” from the poem ‘Caminante, no hay Camino’ by A.Machado.

Go for it. You’re never too old to misspend your youth.

1675102384504.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a couple of tattoos from other treks and have been meaning to add a Camino one for a while though not happened yet. Yes they can present some problems if visiting Japan esp if you want to experience the onsens which is a must, and some accommodations offer the communal style bathing as their base bath options! I think there is a degree of flexibility somewhat but it may be a hassle. Was due to go back to a Japan last year for the first time with tattoos but was cancelled.

I would get the tattoo local to my home so maybe you can chat to the artist first and feel comfortable first. The odd person does faint!
If I may offer a possible solution…go for those wild full-body Yakuza tattoos. You may find not only that you can use the spa, but you’ll have the bath to yourself! LOL

"Those who want go ahead with getting a tattoo anyway despite the risks should consider steering clear of colors derived from heavy metals Dr. Kunin reports that black might be the safest permanent tattoo ink; it is often derived from a substance called carbon black and rarely causes any kind of sensitivity issues. If your heart is set on red in your tattoo, ask around to see if any tattoo parlors in your area are willing to work with non-metallic organic pigments that lend a red color such as carmine, scarlet lake, sandalwood or brazilwood. There are non-metallic alternatives available for many other popular tattoo ink shades, too."

I think a lot of the problem people have with tattoos is not the safety issues but that they just don't like them, on themselves or anyone else. They should live their own lifes and worry less about what others do or want to do.
Great advice in your post !
I was a biker for over 30years and now i know why bikers love tattoos!
It's the heavy metal;)!
Woody

Oh Lord
now you’ve put this idea into my head!
A nice little yellow arrow might be nice.
I have yellow arrows on a string around my neck
A yellow arrow broach on my coat
A yellow arrow on my sun hat
on the walls
On the car
Yellow arrows on my brain

i just mentioned to “himself”
A mild mannered man…
The reply is unprintable
Renshaw, you’re only 62
At 73 I’m now thinking the same thing…maybe
only problem is, I don’t like needles!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tattooing the body is such a personal thing; it is often deeply personal. I have previous obligations or commitments that dictate my choice not to wear a tattoo of any kind.
Regardless, the Tau cross is something I value and respect. I most often see it worn on a chain. It never fails to inspire and gives a break from the thoughts of the day and allows me to refocus.
Do what you feel led to do.

It depends on the significance of the Tau cross to you. If it were me and I were getting a Camino tattoo, I'd be much more likely to get a yellow arrow or shell symbol. But it comes down to what has meaning to you.
Now where exactly do I want to position that yellow arrow? :)

compass R forearm.jpg
I got this compass tattoo on my R underside forearm a few years ago (in Aust). It's very symbolic to me & I love it.
I'm 56 now & if it goes wrinkly or saggy over time...well, they'll be my wrinkles & sags & I will have earnt them!
Each to their own...YOLO.
👣🌏

@RENSHAW, it is a personal decision and it seemed you have thought it through on the symbolism and its location. The forearm shouldn't show sagging but will wrinkle as we get close to exiting from this world. At that time, you could look at it and enjoy the memories of why you chose the Tau Cross...plus you would have had years of enjoyment looking at it and answering why you chose that design.

I have not had a Camino tattoo but intend to get one. I had one for Everest Base Camp and Kilimanjaro and also have one with my life’s motto. ‘Die with memories not dreams’ and I am so glad I did. I am not into jewellery and watches and always wanted something personal and these were that for me. They are on my legs and I wear shorts most of the time so they are visible. They are quite cryptic in that part of the tattoos are the heights of the 2 treks so they both have a 4 digit number attached. People ask me about them and I say it’s my PIN number so I don’t forget!
On the inside of my right forearm and not too dark - what do you guys think

View attachment 140591
I got this compass tattoo on my R underside forearm a few years ago (in Aust). It's very symbolic to me & I love it.
I'm 56 now & if it goes wrinkly or saggy over time...well, they'll be my wrinkles & sags & I will have earnt them!
Each to their own...YOLO.
👣🌏
Well at least you won’t get lost now

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got my Camino tattoo after I got home, with much planning, not from cheapy shop...
I do not equate the Tau cross to the Camino, but if it means something to you is what matters.
My thoughts as well.
My wife had her old tattoo completely reworked. Absolutely by accident we stumbled upon one off the best artists in the area and had to wait 10 months for the actual appointment date.
I knew that I wanted this artist to do mine after the completion of my Camino (and yes - cheap it won't be)... well here I am 7 months past still waiting for initial consultation (suggestion was to check around 4th week of February).
So... I will absolutely 💯 trust her...
And that said and with all respect due.... I am sure that there are folks who abhor tattoos "because they are dangerous for one's health "... and yet smoke a pack a day or put away a bottle of booze....
I agree with @Camino Chrissy I thought the OP was asking an opinion on Tau Cross.
I say go from it if youare attracted to the design.
Good luck and Buen camino

I have not had a Camino tattoo but intend to get one. I had one for Everest Base Camp and Kilimanjaro and also have one with my life’s motto. ‘Die with memories not dreams’ and I am so glad I did. I am not into jewellery and watches and always wanted something personal and these were that for me. They are on my legs and I wear shorts most of the time so they are visible. They are quite cryptic in that part of the tattoos are the heights of the 2 treks so they both have a 4 digit number attached. People ask me about them and I say it’s my PIN number so I don’t forget!
Yep that's the way to go i have always told my kids that !
So far they have both enriched their lives; by doing and not saying ONE DAY i will!
When it comes to getting older ignore the Nay Sayers; and follow your own path it will make you happier !!
I have always loved the sentiment in this poem by Jenny Joseph makes me laugh and think a bit at the same time.
It basically saying be yourself and be free of the expectations of others.

Woody

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have not had a Camino tattoo but intend to get one. I had one for Everest Base Camp and Kilimanjaro and also have one with my life’s motto. ‘Die with memories not dreams’ ...
Being realistic Everett is out of the picture for me, but Kili is actually the "next conquest".
Perhaps next year or 2025 (I would be 65 or 66 respectively).

That's before Camino strongly becons back...

Yep that's the way to go i have always told my kids that !
So far they have both enriched their lives; by doing and not saying ONE DAY i will!
When it comes to getting older ignore the Nay Sayers; and follow your own path it will make you happier !!
I have always loved the sentiment in this poem by Jenny Joseph makes me laugh and think a bit at the same time.
It basically saying be yourself and be free of the expectations of others.

Woody
Oh my

sorry to derail the thread so will shut up after this

This has always been my favourite poem
Apparently Jenny Joseph didn’t even like the colour purple
its the sentiment that counts
I’ve had these two photos printed and put on the wall in a frame 59859344-DA81-4CC8-B0FA-714935BEFB92.pngB080BD7F-7AC8-4804-BC8D-AA1B2DC5BDDA.png
Will be printing them for the two daughters too

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just returned to the States from Barcelona attending a memorial service for an old colleague. While there, I got a wonderful tattoo which is similar to "Gobsmacked by the World's." Found on my calf, it is a scallop shell with the vivid red cross of St James in the midst. The words "Buen Camino" sits atop of the shell and some sentimental words commemorating my first Camino (2013) with my wife below. Its my 4th tattoo and I turn 68 in a month. I love it and I'm glad I got it. I had tears running down my cheek from the procedure - my wife has tears running down hers as well.

I think that you probably want a tau cross tattoo because you once were a hospitalero at San Antón. I remember that you posted about this a few times. The tau cross is an iconographic symbol (attribute) of Saint Anthony and it can be seen in the rose window of the ruins there.

Was it St Anthony? I thought it was St Francis but I may be wrong.

Was it St Anthony? I thought it was St Francis but I may be wrong.
The tau cross is and has been widely used within the Catholic Church and faith, and it has a variety of associations. You will have to ask @RENSHAW whether he choses the symbol because of its association with Saint Anthony, with Saint Francis and the Franciscan order or with the ruins of San Antón or because he like the look of it or for another reason. Here is a photo of the rose window:

Tau at San Anton.jpg

Please members, asking for an opinion is not an excuse for personal attacks and rudeness. By all means express yourselves, but do it politely without making it personal. Some posts have been deleted.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@RENSHAW asked for thoughts, not approval.

Is there a better location to have the tattoo, on the body and what shop. Is the tau cross appropriate for a pilgrim, what size, color. What ink, price, etc.
The Tau cross is most appropriate. So many times I ask people wearing the cross what the meaning was and no one could tell me? So I had to do my own research. I understand that Pilgrims that walked to the Holy Land were given a cross on the forehead in ash by a priest to ward off evil and vagabonds to protect them.
It is most pertinent and I certainly would not be ashamed to show it.

I never had any interest in getting a tattoo... but that changed after a recent run in with cancer made me realise how temporary life can be. I am 65 now and have had it for about 4 months. I forget I have it and am delighted daily to see it. Mine is camino related (over 20 years after my first camino) and reminds of the strength and joy I felt on my caminos and was comforted by during my cancer journey. Go for it!

Oh dear,
with what’s going on in Vancouver at the moment, tattoos will be the least of people’s problems!
Mods….delete if you want
They will if they want. Your permission or not. That's what Mods do.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think its totally your choice. If its something you feel strongly about, then go for it. Only thing Id say, is if you get one make sure you have given alot of thought on the final design.
For some reason tattoos on a persons own body is a topic many feel they have the right to make negative comments around, even though they have no personal impact on them. There are definately worse things you could do in life, than ink yourself. Good luck and Good Way.

"Those who want go ahead with getting a tattoo anyway despite the risks should consider steering clear of colors derived from heavy metals. Dr. Kunin reports that black might be the safest permanent tattoo ink; it is often derived from a substance called carbon black and rarely causes any kind of sensitivity issues. If your heart is set on red in your tattoo, ask around to see if any tattoo parlors in your area are willing to work with non-metallic organic pigments that lend a red color such as carmine, scarlet lake, sandalwood or brazilwood. There are non-metallic alternatives available for many other popular tattoo ink shades, too."

The OP did ask for opinions Wayfarer.

The OP did ask for opinions Wayfarer.
It is a rather open question. Is it about: Getting a tattoo or not? Getting a first tattoo at age 62 or not? A tau cross or something else? On the inside of the right forearm or somewhere else? Dark or light - black or colour perhaps? And we have not even talked about size yet :cool:.

Or perhaps the OP just wants to hear from others who have done something similar in a similar situation and are ok / happy with their decision?

A tau cross would be more convenient for the Assise Way:
I walked the Way of St Francis Camino in Italy last year - what the scallop shell is to the Camino Santiago, the Tau is to the Way of St Francis. You’ll see them everywhere!

It is a rather open question. Is it about: Getting a tattoo or not? Getting a first tattoo at age 62 or not? A tau cross or something else? On the inside of the right forearm or somewhere else? Dark or light - black or colour perhaps? And we have not even talked about size yet :cool:.

Or perhaps the OP just wants to hear from others who have done something similar in a similar situation and are ok / happy with their decision?
I agree Kathar1na. The responses reflected the ambiguity of the questions.

Last edited:
Yes why not? I was lucky to have an inspiring artist do mine. Even for something as simple as a tau cross it's worth thinking about the design in detail beforehand.

Inside of the arm is good if you want to see it as a reminder. I have a memorial tat in that place that I see every day and it comforts me. For my Camino tattoo I am planning a shell and having it placed on my ankle to symbolize the walk. Cross? Not my choice, but it's not my tat. Probably if you are religious that would be the way to go. But the Tau cross? That sounds personal to you, which is ultimately why we get tattooed. But if you want it to specifically represent the Camino, you might consider the Santiago cross.

Ok I put a comment out about tattoos being a negative thing. The post was removed. I have had a few moments lately where I realize that perhaps life should not be seen in a rigid way. Lately I am embracing humanity more and frankly we make little sense most of the time. We pilgrims are gripped by a walk in Spain- does that make sense? Do tattoos need to make sense? No because they only need to make sense to ourselves and they are reminders that we do crazy things and if we do not do those crazy things we might miss living our lives. If you embrace a concept, a thought or a person, why not tattoo it on you? It has been done since we lost our hair thousands of years ago!
I guess I was a prude...... I hope you find a tattoo that embraces what you cherish!

Hope your tattoo makes you happy!!!

Well... no Tau Cross and somewhat reminiscent of the @Gobsmacked by the World 's .... almost 10 months to the day from the date I left the house to start the Camino - here it is (just started scabbing so still pretty fresh):

Attachments

• Camino Tattoo.jpg
    Camino Tattoo.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 15
Well... no Tau Cross and somewhat reminiscent of the @Gobsmacked by the World 's .... almost 10 months to the day from the date I left the house to start the Camino - here it is (just started scabbing so still pretty fresh):
CW, very nice. You can keep adding more dates under the original if you keep going back for some "repeats"; maybe some day they will trail down to your wrist.😅

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Other arm has been dedicated to the city of my birth as it has a tall ship sailing across the blue (make it Black) Sea
Been there for 30+ years

But, hey - there are still 2 legs LOL

Apparently a church in Austria is offering free tattoos!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.