• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Atheist walks the Camino

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I saw this article - the dozens of comments were more entertaining!

sillydoll said:
I saw this article - the dozens of comments were more entertaining!
Indeed. What the writer mixed up is the term "pilgrimage".
According to Wikipedia, "A pilgrimage is a journey or search of moral or spiritual significance. Typically, it is a journey to a shrine or other location of importance to a person's beliefs and faith, although sometimes it can be a metaphorical journey in to someone's own beliefs."
The self-inflicted label "atheist" should be explained in the last minutes of the person's life (when supposedly still able to do so). That our "God", "Creator", "Great Architect" have mercy :cry:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes! I loved the comment which said that someone writing for the Guardian could turn anything into a moral dillema :)

Some of the article is just wrong:

"This is where my ethical problem arises. While the Camino is frequented by people of all faiths and none, it is generally accepted that the credencial should be signed by a representative of the Catholic church – usually your local priest, who can send the pilgrim on her way, vouching for her character. But being not only an atheist, and one who is not even baptised, I don't feel comfortable asking for a Catholic priest (in London, no less – which one would I even choose?) to sign my credencial."

This is just a myth. Medieval pilgrims carried letters often from priests attesting to their bona fides as pilgrims and seeking their safe conduct. These letters are the distant relatives of the modern credenciales or pilgrim passports. Very rarely nowadays people write to the Pilgrims' Office asking if such a letter is necessary or if their credencial needs to be signed or stamped by a priest at the outset. The answer is that this is absolutely NOT required.

Next ethical question:

"This dilemma brought more questions to mind. If a fellow pilgrim starts a conversation, at which point should I divulge my lack of faith? And when I do, won't it offend believers to share a holy trail with someone who doesn't share their devotion?"

Answer: many will agree with you and EVERYONE will wish you "buen camino"

Finally there is the hoary old question of what is a pilgrimage and what makes a pilgrim. The Confraternity of St James says about the credencial:

"It presupposes that the bearer is making the pilgrimage for spiritual reasons. This does not necessarily mean Roman Catholic and pilgrims will not be asked about their denomination, or even whether they are Christian, although of course historically the pilgrimage itself has meant Christian pilgrimage. Today and in practice, however, the credencial covers anyone making the pilgrimage in a frame of mind that is open and searching." http://www.csj.org.uk/passport.htm

The Cathedral of Santiago gives the following guidance:

"What is a pilgrim and why do people make the pilgrimage to Santiago?

Pilgrimage is time set apart from normal daily life in which people travel to a holy place. Santiago stands alongside Rome and Jerusalem as the third greatest Christian pilgrimage destination in the world.
Pilgrims on the way to Santiago have the opportunity for personal reflection and prayer as well as enjoying the fellowship of other pilgrims from many different countries. The pilgrimage is an opportunity for spiritual renewal and growth in personal faith."

So...there are few rules and specific definitions. The only real requirement is that we make the journey!

JohnnieWalker said:
Yes! I loved the comment which said that someone writing for the Guardian could turn anything into a moral dillema :)

Some of the article is just wrong:

"This is where my ethical problem arises. While the Camino is frequented by people of all faiths and none, it is generally accepted that the credencial should be signed by a representative of the Catholic church – usually your local priest, who can send the pilgrim on her way, vouching for her character. But being not only an atheist, and one who is not even baptised, I don't feel comfortable asking for a Catholic priest (in London, no less – which one would I even choose?) to sign my credencial."

This is just a myth. Medieval pilgrims carried letters often from priests attesting to their bona fides as pilgrims and seeking their safe conduct. These letters are the distant relatives of the modern credenciales or pilgrim passports. Very rarely nowadays people write to the Pilgrims' Office asking if such a letter is necessary or if their credencial needs to be signed or stamped by a priest at the outset. The answer is that this is absolutely NOT required.

Next ethical question:

"This dilemma brought more questions to mind. If a fellow pilgrim starts a conversation, at which point should I divulge my lack of faith? And when I do, won't it offend believers to share a holy trail with someone who doesn't share their devotion?"

Answer: many will agree with you and EVERYONE will wish you "buen camino"

Finally there is the hoary old question of what is a pilgrimage and what makes a pilgrim. The Confraternity of St James says about the credencial:

"It presupposes that the bearer is making the pilgrimage for spiritual reasons. This does not necessarily mean Roman Catholic and pilgrims will not be asked about their denomination, or even whether they are Christian, although of course historically the pilgrimage itself has meant Christian pilgrimage. Today and in practice, however, the credencial covers anyone making the pilgrimage in a frame of mind that is open and searching." http://www.csj.org.uk/passport.htm

The Cathedral of Santiago gives the following guidance:

"What is a pilgrim and why do people make the pilgrimage to Santiago?

Pilgrimage is time set apart from normal daily life in which people travel to a holy place. Santiago stands alongside Rome and Jerusalem as the third greatest Christian pilgrimage destination in the world.
Pilgrims on the way to Santiago have the opportunity for personal reflection and prayer as well as enjoying the fellowship of other pilgrims from many different countries. The pilgrimage is an opportunity for spiritual renewal and growth in personal faith."

So...there are few rules and specific definitions. The only real requirement is that we make the journey!

As always Johnny Walker's response is spot on. He should submit this to 'The Guardian' soonest.
soch

From the Pilgrim Office website:
Finally, one of the pages contains the following directions for use:

This Credencial is only intended for use by those pilgrims who will walk, go on horseback or cycle and who desire to make the pilgrimage with a Christian motivation or at least in the spirit of searching. It is intended to identify the pilgrim. Therefore the issuing organisation must be a parish, a confraternity, Association of the Amigos of the Camino to Santiago and the like. The Credencial bestows no rights on the pilgrim. It has two practical purposes: admission to those albergues which offer Christian hospitality along the way; and to obtain the Compostela from the Cathedral in Santiago which certifies the pilgrimage has been completed.
The Compostela is only issued to those who have made the pilgrimage with a Christian motivation: devotonis affectul vel voti pietatis causa – motivated by devotion, a vow or piety.
The Compostela is also only issued to those who arrive at the Tomb of the Apostle having travelled on foot or on horseback the last 100kms, or 200kms by bicycle.
The Pilgrim Credencial can only be issued by the Church through its own structures: Dioceses, parishes, confraternities or other bodies authorised by the Church. This is the only way the Credencial can be obtained from the S.A.M.I. Cathedral of Santiago (Jornadas sobre el Año Santo: noviembre 1993).
Albergues provide simple accommodation. They do not receive grants for their upkeep and need to be sustained, cleaned and maintained. This is achieved through the contributions of pilgrims.
Organised groups with a support vehicle or on bicycles are asked to find alternative accommodation from the pilgrim albergues.
The bearer of the Credencial accepts these conditions.
The writer did not even have to leave her computer to get accurate information.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The late Canon Genaro Cebrián wrote that the Compostela is no longer a document awarded as atonement for sins. However, to be granted the Compostela "it is necessary to confess a religious faith. Pilgrims are not asked about their faith, whether they are Catholics, Buddhists or Islamists. We only ask that the reason is religious", he added.
Therefore, atheists and agnostics can only aspire to an alternative “welcome” document. He refused to give the Queen a Comppstela for failing to meet the requirements.
Queen Sofia visited a few years ago years ago after travelling a few kilometres accompanied by members of the Royal Guard. At the end of their journey they requested the 'Compostela' for her Majesty. But Cebrián refused because they had not fulfilled the requirements, so they were offered a souvenir certificate instead."

sillydoll said:
Therefore, atheists and agnostics can only aspire to an alternative “welcome” document.
Oh dear. Strictly, agnostics deny that the existence of a supreme being can be known. What they choose to believe is a quite different matter. If they do choose to believe, and they meet the other requirements, they have just as much 'right' to a compestela as anyone.

Regards,

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back