• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Atlanta

dkenagy

Time of past OR future Camino
April-June 2009 (Frances) (little bit of bus-riding)
March-May 2012 (Frances) (walked every inch)
April 2017: VDLP: I'll be 75
Do we have a group in Atlanta? Anyone interested?

We've done the Camino Frances once (2009) and will do it again in March. We live in Druid Hills.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
dkenagy said:

We've done the Camino Frances once (2009) and will do it again in March. We live in Druid Hills.

No :lol: ! This our first Camino.
We start from Astorga April 1st(seriously)about 0400hrs that's when the bus gets in from madrid, any good.

David

About two weeks ago we had our first meeting of pilgrims and pilgrim want-to-be's in Houston, Texas.

We had about 12 people and a few others who were interested but not available to attend.

I did some "googling" to find people but the real push came from The American Pilgrims on the Camino. http://www.americanpilgrims.com/. They were able to seach their database and send the invitation out to everyone with a Houston zipcode. I recommend contacting them...they were super helpful and supportive of our efforts.

I'd also strongly encourage you to make this happen. I had a great night meeting others and reveling in that instant 'camino connection'.

We have our next event, a "Post Holiday Bayou Ramble" scheduled for early January. Wine and tapas will also be involved!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Jeff

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Druid Hills? They have one of them in Galicia, but it´s called "Pico Sacra." And not a subdivision in sight!
Welcome to the forum!

Reb
(from Pittsburgh)

My wife and I walked from Sarria in March with another couple. We live in Cartersville and the other couple lives in Rome (Georgia). Want to return but have no definite plans yet. We would be interested in getting together with a group in the Atlanta area.

My daughter and I did the Camino Frances from Leon in 2009.
We live in Peachtree Corners.
Though my daughter is in college now, I would be very interested in starting a Pilgrim Chapter in Atlanta. Even had a discussion a couple of years ago with a fellow pilgrim about starting one. Given the attendance in Atlanta to The Way screenings earlier this year, there may be more people interested than I thought.

Who would be interested in helping set it up? I travel 80% of time for work, so we would have to make it a weekend event to start.

Rambler
savini-santiago.blogspot.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife, Patti, and I walked from Astorga to SdC in June 2010. We are planning on walking from SJPP in 2012, leaving on May 1. We live in Hoschton, which is north of the Mall of Georgia, off I85. It would be great to talk with others who enjoy the Camino as much as we do.

There is a hiking club in our development, the Village of Deaton Creek, and we are going to show our DVD of pictures from the Camino. It is either going to be very boring or it will be a good recruiter. Many saw "the Way" and enjoyed it.

Anyone else planning a 2012 trip?

John

georgia jugs said:
My wife, Patti, and I walked from Astorga to SdC in June 2010. We are planning on walking from SJPP in 2012, leaving on May 1. We live in Hoschton, which is north of the Mall of Georgia, off I85. It would be great to talk with others who enjoy the Camino as much as we do.

John

My wife and I are also talking about walking part of the Camino this Spring but have no definite plans. We are in Cartersville.

We are going to Madrid on April 29 and starting the Camino on May 1. The months of planning and dreaming all come to fruition when you hit the 'submit' button when buying the airplane tickets. I think Delta is the big winner on the Camino. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would also be interested in contact with other Georgians who have walked/are walking/will walk the Camino. I live in Milledgeville and plan to walk in June 2013.

I know this is an older post, but I am planning my Camino for Sept. 2013. I live in Sandy Springs. If there is any plans for Camino enthusiasts getting together in the Atlanta area please let me know! I would love to meet others who have been or planning to go.

There is a new chapter of the American Pilgrims of the Camino in Atlanta. In fact, there are two upcoming events.
This Sunday at 1:eek:o there is a walk at Stone Mountain, follwed by lunch at a local German Restaurant. Meet at the Confederate Hall.
On February 5th there is a meeting at the Perimeter REI. A slide show and movie, followed by discussion. Tom Beck, who just returned this fall from the Camino, will be the speaker.
We have 10-20 people at the first meetings and hikes. Some people have walked the Camino and some are getting ready. A good group.
Patti and I have walked the Camino Frances this past Spring, and a shorter walk from Astorga in 2010.
Hope this is helpful.
John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
georgia jugs said:
There is a new chapter of the American Pilgrims of the Camino in Atlanta. In fact, there are two upcoming events.
This Sunday at 1:eek:o there is a walk at Stone Mountain, follwed by lunch at a local German Restaurant. Meet at the Confederate Hall.
On February 5th there is a meeting at the Perimeter REI. A slide show and movie, followed by discussion. Tom Beck, who just returned this fall from the Camino, will be the speaker.
We have 10-20 people at the first meetings and hikes. Some people have walked the Camino and some are getting ready. A good group.
Patti and I have walked the Camino Frances this past Spring, and a shorter walk from Astorga in 2010.
Hope this is helpful.
John

Great! Thank you so much for the information. I will not be able to be at Stone Mountain, but can definitely be at the Perimeter meeting. I appreciate your help looking forward to meeting past and future pilgrims! Will you be at the meeting? I am planning to start in Astorga and would love to hear your experience.

georgiagirl said:
georgia jugs said:

The Perimeter meeting might work for me, depending on what time it is; I just checked the Atlanta group's info on American Pilgrims but no info is given under upcoming events.

I met Tom Beck when I stayed at L'Esprit du Chemin this past September; well, I'm assuming it was Tom. I'd forgotten the name, but I remember talking with someone who told me about the Atlanta group. It'd be a drive for me (I live near Clemson, SC), but for a chance to see the slide show & movie, it'd be worth it. There's also an Asheville group, more convenient in terms of driving, but not in terms of scheduling.

I wonder how many South Carolinians are among us... :)

Meredith1 said:
georgiagirl said:
georgia jugs said:

The Perimeter meeting might work for me, depending on what time it is; I just checked the Atlanta group's info on American Pilgrims but no info is given under upcoming events.

I met Tom Beck when I stayed at L'Esprit du Chemin this past September; well, I'm assuming it was Tom. I'd forgotten the name, but I remember talking with someone who told me about the Atlanta group. It'd be a drive for me (I live near Clemson, SC), but for a chance to see the slide show & movie, it'd be worth it. There's also an Asheville group, more convenient in terms of driving, but not in terms of scheduling.

I wonder how many South Carolinians are among us... :)

Hi Meredith,

I found the information about the event on the REI Perimeter website. It is 7:00-8:30 on the 5th. It looks like you need to register to attend (it is free). Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Glad to hear an Atlanta group has started and has so much interest. I will bring my son to the meeting in February. We are planning on walking the Camino in 2014 as I did with my daughter in 2008. Hope this group will make my son even more excited.
Rambler

Fellow Atlantan here- I live in Buckhead. First walked the Camino in 2002. Walking a good portion of it again this April/May with my wife and little toddler. I will be interested in gathering in and around Atlanta. Buen Camino!

30daystosantiago said:
Fellow Atlantan here- I live in Buckhead. First walked the Camino in 2002. Walking a good portion of it again this April/May with my wife and little toddler. I will be interested in gathering in and around Atlanta. Buen Camino!

I would also be interested in gathering with other ATL-area piligrims, are you going to be at the Camino seminar at the Perimeter REI? It's next Tuesday at 7pm, that may be a good place to start...

Hi my fellow Atlantans!
My step-mom and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances starting in Leon the first three weeks of June. We will both be at the REI presentation next week as well. Very excited to see the presentation and meet others planning their adventure!!

Latest info from the Atlanta Camino Group.

The APOC Atlanta Camino Group is planning 2013's Hike #3 for February 24th. It will be at Vickery Park in Roswell (directions are set out below). We will meet at the Riverside Road parking lot at 12:45 and start hiking at 1PM. (If you're on your way, but running late, call Tom Beck at 404.680.2325 to advise. The parking lot is very close to the intersection of Roswell Road and Riverside Drive.) If anyone wants to carpool, they can because you have to pay to park inside Vickery.

For the Old Camino Hands, this will be a great way to reminence about your Camino, and share with the Newbies. For the Newbies, this will be a special opportunity to pick the brains of those who have gone before. And for everyone, it'll be a great hike. Followed by a stop-over at a local place to be named later:).

All are welcome!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the info about the Feb. 24th event!

I live in Atlanta for now (moved down here for work), and am planning to do my first Camino this summer. Actually going with a few other people to shoot a documentary about the Camino as we walk. Would love to meet up with some local pilgrims who have gone before us. For advice and stories, as well as just friendship. I don't know a whole lot of people in Atlanta yet.

See you soon, hopefully.

I will be at the hike on the 24th...Looking forward to it!!

Question for the Atlanta folks: We are planning to leave May 30th, fly into Madrid and train to Leon to start our walk on the way. We plan to fly back to Atlanta from Madrid on June 22nd. Wondering if anyone has found any good flight deals out there? I am finding that the prices average around $1490. Anyone have a great website to find good airline deals?

Hi everyone, I am planning walk el Camino de Santiago in june. Living Atlanta June 7, to Madrid and take the train to Pamplona. All ideas and help will be really grateful. I will travel with 2 teens 15 and 16. Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so much for the info. We will be there. We are traning and getting ready. Buen Camino

I am like you Fishern1, Countdown, we will fly in 5 week , June 7. starting in Pamplona. Buen Camino peregrino.

I would love to be included on the list of Atlanta Pilgrims. I am about 2 1/2 hours away (Piedmont area of SC) but I go to Atlanta frequently. In Apr-Jun 2009 I walked the Camino (alone) from Roncesvalles - it took me 40 days. (During this anniversary time of the year, I have been re-reading my daily Camino journal notes each day and posting them in the NOTES section on my Facebook page) I find that my experiences on the pilgrimage are still effecting my life in very real ways. I would love to have the opportunity to be among people who have this shared experience.
-Ginn
In Sunny SC

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello my fellow Atlantan Pilgrims!! Well, we are off to Madrid this Friday then train to Leon on Sunday to start walking a week from today (6/3). If anyone wants to follow along here is the link to the blog I started to track my journey:
http://fishersway.wordpress.com

Buen Camino!!

There is a hiking club in our development, the Village of Deaton Creek, and we are going to show our DVD of pictures from the Camino. It is either going to be very boring or it will be a good recruiter. Many saw "the Way" and enjoyed it.

John
I am new to the forum. My husband and I live in Winder and are planning on walking from SJPP in Aug/Sept 2015. We are in the early planning stages. We are so close--would love to chat with you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To all you Georgia folks, REI is having free presentations about the Camino and the Appalachian Trail
this coming weekend at a few of their GA stores. I am going to be attending the presentations at the Kennesaw store ... Saturday for the AT and Sunday for the Camino. Last time I looked there were plenty of openings left.
There are three other stores in the metro-Atlanta area that also are having presentations this weekend. Check REI's website for times.

I'm in Snellville and doing my first Camino starting in late August 2014. Looking for low-cost airfare to Madrid or Paris. Any suggestions? Saw a thread previously about a lower-cost flight aggregator, but can't seem to find the thread again.

I'm in Snellville and doing my first Camino starting in late August 2014. Looking for low-cost airfare to Madrid or Paris. Any suggestions? Saw a thread previously about a lower-cost flight aggregator, but can't seem to find the thread again.
Contact Klaus at Consolidator Webfares, Inc. They are in Atlanta and may be able to help you.
http://www.consolidatorwebfares.com

Rambler

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All folks in Atlanta interested:
Here is an email from Tom Beck the Chapter lead...
Subject: Camino News

Hola Fellow Pilgrims: As promised, I will not bother you with emails unless I have some news to share. Well, I do. First of all, our Georgia chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) is joining community activities with the Georgia Spanish community called Casa de Espana. Casa de Espana is a social group of Spanish families here in Atlanta founded to perpetuate the rich culture and traditions of Spain. We have very similar interests in that Casa de Espana wants to begin inviting non-Spanish Atlantan's who have an special interest in their beautiful and culturally rich country to learn more about Spain by attending their functions. We on the other hand, wish to invite their members to take a special interest in their national treasure the Camino de Santiago. We believe that we can teach and learn from each other interests both our communities. Next, I am excited that we will, soon to be announced, hosting the southern premier showing here in Atlanta, of the new movie/documentary of "Walking the Camino". MaryAnne and I will be back to you soon with time and venue. Last, I want to share with you that I will be having another of my "Walking The Camino presentation for you new Pilgrims who are anticipating doing the Camino at some near date. I have a need in that if you know anyone who has walked the Portuguese Camino, please have them call me at 404-680-2325 as I will be walking that Camino this June. Buen Camino: Tom

All Atlanta Pilgrims:
Attached is a flyer for a wine and cheese party at the Atlanta Cuba Club for
Wine, Castles and Churches of “El Camino de Santiago
Presented by Casa de España en Georgia
Come join us on Sunday March 30th as three speakers take us on a wine
and cheese tasting, present the splendor of castles and churches on the
Camino and share testimonials of modern day pilgrims.
5795 New Peachtree Rd.
Doraville, Georgia 30340
Time: 4-7pm
Cost:
Members: $12.00
Non Members: $15.00
RSVP: www.espanaengeorgia.com
Bonus experience: Join us for lunch featuring a Northern Spanish
stew lunch at the Atlanta Cuban Club from 1 to 4 PM . Cost: $10.00
RSVP: Aurelia García (404)634 9048 or Gloria Angulo (404)636 0404

Rambler

Attachments

• La_Casa_de_España_El_Camino_de_Santiago_English ver 3 _2_.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 1
All Atlanta Pilgrims:
From Tom Beck:
"Hola Fellow Pilgrims: We have two important upcoming Camino events to announce. The 1st. one this Sunday afternoon starts a series of wine/cheese tasting travelogues of the various regions of Spain you have walked or are about to walk. We will of course start on the French/Spanish boarder and work our way west toward Santiago. Please join us in a fun and informative gathering with the proud Spanish community of Atlanta who wants to share their culture with us and have us share with them our passion for their international treasure the Camino de Santiago. The second event is a personal visit with filmmaker/produce Lydia Smith who walked the entire Camino and made a full length documentary of "Walking the Camino" You have seen a initial trailer of this documentary in my REI class presentations. Lydia has partnered with GPB to bring this presentation to us. Please see above attachment on this as well. Please feel free to call me at 404-680-2325 with any questions. I would ask that you RSVP on both special events so we can allow for adequate seating. Thanks much for your continued support. Tom Beck"

Hope you all can attend

Attachments

• Email012.jpg
    Email012.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Email011.jpg
    Email011.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 5
All Atlanta Pilgrims:
From Tom Beck:
"Hola Fellow Pilgrims: We have two important upcoming Camino events to announce. The 1st. one this Sunday afternoon starts a series of wine/cheese tasting travelogues of the various regions of Spain you have walked or are about to walk. We will of course start on the French/Spanish boarder and work our way west toward Santiago. Please join us in a fun and informative gathering with the proud Spanish community of Atlanta who wants to share their culture with us and have us share with them our passion for their international treasure the Camino de Santiago. The second event is a personal visit with filmmaker/produce Lydia Smith who walked the entire Camino and made a full length documentary of "Walking the Camino" You have seen a initial trailer of this documentary in my REI class presentations. Lydia has partnered with GPB to bring this presentation to us. Please see above attachment on this as well. Please feel free to call me at 404-680-2325 with any questions. I would ask that you RSVP on both special events so we can allow for adequate seating. Thanks much for your continued support. Tom Beck"

Hope you all can attend

Hi - how do I rsvp to the film? Thanks!

From Tom Beck:
"Hola Fellow Pilgrims: Please join us this next Wednesday April 9 at 7pm at the GPB studio C at 260 14th. st. NW, Atlanta 30318. No need to RSVP just show up early to get best seating. The producer/director of the new documentary opening nationwide will be here with us to share her filming production this the new Documentary "Walking the Camino" Lydia with take Q & A after her presentation and then return to officially open her Premier of her new show on Friday May 2nd. Please join us to help support Lydia on her national success as she has had sellout crowds in the western US and we are next as she moves east to NY. Thank you and I hope to see you for both exciting evenings. Buen Camino"829481.gpr-event.jpg

The May 2nd show will be at the Midtown Art Cinema. It appears to be showing the 2&3rd with Lydia available for Q&A. I am attaching the flyer from the website. The movie may be showing for an extended period, but it is unclear in the information so far.876812.atlflyer.jpg

Hope to see you all there.

Rambler

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow, don't know how I never spotted this before. I'm very interested in some of the past events posted and hope there will be more in the future. Were these through the Atlanta APOC? How did the partnership with Casa de Espana turn out? Sounds like a great group, wish I would have seen that one. Anyone remember if there were people from the rural areas around Salamanca?

Is anyone planning to attend Tom's talk at REI on the 15th? I'll be there. Also, a couple people from the Facebook group CdS Travel Group-Atlanta have said they will be there, too. We did a nice 10 mi from Kennesaw Mt Visitors' Center to Kolb Farm this weekend and will probably do a hike somewhere else on Feb 21.

Well, that ended up being a lot of exuberant sounding questions. Hope to meet some of you.

Jim.

Wow, don't know how I never spotted this before. I'm very interested in some of the past events posted and hope there will be more in the future. Were these through the Atlanta APOC? How did the partnership with Casa de Espana turn out? Sounds like a great group, wish I would have seen that one. Anyone remember if there were people from the rural areas around Salamanca?

Is anyone planning to attend Tom's talk at REI on the 15th? I'll be there. Also, a couple people from the Facebook group CdS Travel Group-Atlanta have said they will be there, too. We did a nice 10 mi from Kennesaw Mt Visitors' Center to Kolb Farm this weekend and will probably do a hike somewhere else on Feb 21.

Well, that ended up being a lot of exuberant sounding questions. Hope to meet some of you.

Jim.
Jim:
Welcome to the site. Tom has not sent around any notes lately about activities, so I am not sure if there are any plans. It would be good to see if we could get more regular activities because everyone seems to be very well attended.
Rambler

Thanks for the reply Rambler,
In the past what kind of events were the most popular? i.e. hikes on something like the AT, metro-ATL hikes, suburban walks- something like Kolb Farm to Marietta Square, cultural things like Casa de España event, Spanish food/wine nights, or a little of all of it? Any idea on whom to to contact to get that ball rolling again? I'd be willing to put in time to get things organized if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Jim.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looks like the ATL chapter is becoming active again with 3 events planed for the rest of this year. There is a hike this Sunday the 27th, a dinner in Nov, and I'm leading a hike on Dec 5th.

Details and RSVP here:
http://www.americanpilgrims.com/about/local_atlanta.html

Hopefully, the leadership can be convinced to set up a local page to make things easier to find. Hope to see some of you at one of the up coming events.

John
I'm planning to go in spring 2017. Looking for advice/planning tips. Possible partner for part of the trip. I live near Buford (NE Atlanta area) GA. Any names, help, etc. most appreciated.... Jerry at JL.Dunaway@gmail.com

I'm planning to go in spring 2017. Looking for advice/planning tips. Possible partner for part of the trip. I live near Buford (NE Atlanta area) GA. Any names, help, etc. most appreciated.... Jerry at JL.Dunaway@gmail.com

¡Hola Jerry!
I think I may have seen your name in a recent request on the ATL- APOC email list. If not please consider it, because someone else in Buford recently did!

As far as meeting with other pilgrims- I try to pop in on here at least once a week or so. There is also a local American Pilgrims Facebook page: Atlanta Chapter-American Pilgrims on the Camino, or as I mentioned, the local email list.

We now host 11 hikes a year, on the first weekend of the month, alternating between Saturday and Sunday. They are typically 4-7 miles, but about once a quarter we host a "Camino Prep Hike" that is about 10-12 miles.

We also host a social event about once a quarter. These are things like Spanish wine tastings, pot luck dinner, Camino Q&A, or paella parties. We have two big events coming up soon - a Gran Paella hosted by the Spanish Consulate on October 23 and challenging AT Camino Prep Hike on November 5. Please come join us!

Jim
ATL-APOC co-coordinator

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-