• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ATM Availability?

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
I know there are lots of ATMs on the France Route but what about this one? Can I count on easy access to ATMs in all but the smallest towns? Is there a summary as there is for the French Route with availability of banks, ATMs, and hostals by town? Many thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not sure which route you're referring to, but my experience of western Europe is that every town has ATMs all over the place-- I have the impression that they are more common than they are in North America, but I could be wrong. I have passed through Spanish villages without cafés (rare, but it happens) which had ATMs. One more frequently sees small villages in France without ATMs.

The only exception I have seen is the stretch on the Camino Francese between Astorga and Ponferrada which, curiously, had no ATMs even as recently as 2009.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
June and I walked from Porto last September and found ATMs all along the way. We did have a few problems with our credit cards in some places (at Hotel Do Terco in Barcelos, for example), They are not the "chip on board" type - just Visas from the US. So, we got in the habit of carrying enough cash for a day or two.
Chris

Thanks, Chris. We are walking from Porto to Santiago in September. When I walked from SJPP to Santiago, I was able to mark on my map when I needed to be sure to draw money since I usually tried to stay in the smaller towns rather than large cities. This will be a much shorter Camino so we should be OK. Thanks for the information about the chipped cards. We recently discovered that our new cards were "chipped" and also the security risks with them as they can be "read" by others with a chip reader and then scammed. I carried my passport in a special envelope so the chip in it couldn't be read. Guess I will have to carry my credit card in a similar type envelope.

Hi Portia, I did the CP from Porto to Santiago and back last September. ATMs are everywhere just like all the posts say I have just one thing to add. SOME ATMs only accept their cards. It happended to be in Spain and in Portugal. Do not worry. Around the corner or next door you will find one that will accept your card. You can do your banking in many languages and if the ATM doesn't take your card, it will tell you at the END of your transaction in English if that is the language you chose.
Re Visa cards. My experience has been that small stores will often tell you that your card isn't working. What is really going on is that it costs the shop keeper too much to make a transaction so they tell a little white lie. You likely will NOT be able to use your ATM card in a store so just thought I would add my 2 cents. (No charge :wink: )

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had a recent bad experience in Spain with ATM withdrawals using my debit card. On three occasions the ATM would not process my requested withdrawal. As I recall the message on the screen was something like , we cannot process your request at this time. I thought that's odd but I'll try another machine. When I returned home I discovered about 800.00 USD had been debited from my account that I never received. I contacted my bank (Wells Fargo) and filed a claim for the money taken from my account. It was denied. This was my first experience with this sort of problem. My only advice is to contact your bank immediately if you have a failed transaction at any ATM. International 24 hour numbers are usually on the back of the card.

John

That's disturbing! Anyone I know who has had an unauthorized withdrawal from their account has been compensated by the bank after a brief investigation (even my daughter who was at first told "you must have given your PIN to someone").

Is it just Wells Fargo, the time to report, or some other factor, do you think? I hate to think I would have to go to my bank account online frequently to ensure that this isn't happening. We've had this discussion here on the forum about the relative safety of internet cafes in Spain.

lynne

Forgive me if this is redundant information, but it was new to me. Today I talked with my bank/credit card company to provide them details of my travels. They told me that I could save the $5 transaction fee on cash withdrawals by using ATMs in the Global ATM Alliance, of which my bank is a member. For Spain, I would have to find Barclays/Woolwich ATMs, which I remember seeing only in larger cities. Still, every little $5 is better in my pocket than the bank's.

I also found out they've added another element of security. In addition to dates and places, they asked what the maximum amount per day/per withdrawal I would be taking. So I just chose a realistic figure which will now make it impossible for anyone to withdraw more than that.

Here is the link and you can find out more about it, including if your bank is a member:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

lynne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lynne,

I'm sorry but I don't have any answers to your questions. This is all new to me. I can only relate the experience I had and hope not to find myself in a similar situation again. The only way I know to be sure is to contact your bank if there is something odd going on with your ATM transaction.

John

I walked the Caminol Frances last year and there are loads of ATMs. My card is a Westpac card which is a member of the Global Alliance so in theory I could make fee free withdrawalls from Barclays Banks in Spain. Unfortunately I didn't see a single Barclays ATM so used the Spanish banks and found the fee varied between $2 and $3 each time. I always carried at least 3 days worth of expenses in cash with me. I also have 2 cards in case of loss, or stoppages by my bank which have happened twice in previous years, once by a bank's mistake and once by fraud. If a withdrawal is stopped by the bank, contact your bank immediately - the number is on the back of your card so make a note of it. This is usually a toll free number.

I just walked the camino portugues and only found ATMs in the bigger towns that was along the route. If you stay in albergues (many of them are new from 2010) it only costs 3-5 euros a night per person. If you go during off-season, I doubt the albergues will fill up on this route. For me, on average there were 6-8 other pilgrims staying at the same albergue I was staying in (and it can normally hold 40-60 people).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back