• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ATM Fees cheatsheet

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
So I've been collecting cash-machine usage fees over on another thread, and I've now put everything I've learned together into a cheat-sheet for your phone.

Open or send the image to your phone and then save it to your photos. Then you'll be able to look at it every time you need to go to an ATM to help you find the cheapest ones to use. Common banks are split into categories of free, less than a euro, less than two euros, or the maximum five euro fee.

These fees have been tested by me over three recent Caminos and then confirmed by many people on the forum. They represent the fees to EU travellers, but generally the same fees are applied to travellers from all over the world with only small variations.

Spanish ATM Fees.jpg

It's an ongoing project, so feel free to contribute on the other thread if you learn of any more free ATMs, or if you find a fee to be incorrect:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just came across your list of charging ATMs in Spain. Unfortunately, there is a growing trend in Spain of ATMs charging you to withdraw in addition to any fees that normally occur with euro transactions. I bank with Metro Bank (UK) which doesn't charge for euro ATM withdrawals so any charges I pay are due to the Spanish ATMs levying them directly.

Currently (September 2019) BBVA used to be free but now charge 2 euros. Caixa used to be free but literally started charging this month (2 euros). I used Bankia which gave no warning it would charge but the ATM receipt showed a 1.85 charge. Santander does charge a whopping 5 euros. I had a bad experience with Cajasur a couple of years ago when the ATM dispensed 25 euros instead of the 40 euros requested. I complained directly to the branch but got nowhere and Metro Bank advised me it was probably a member of the Cajasur branch who swapped a 5 euro note for a 20 when loading the ATM (the ATM does not dispense 5s...) I've avoided Cajasur ever since.

I'm currently using Unicaja ATMs which at the moment do not charge though not sure how much longer that will occur. I don't like withdrawing more than 90 euros at a time as petty crime is common in Spain and I've already had a wallet stolen. I would not be comfortable carrying around large amounts of cash, even if it was to avoid ATM fees.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sure, I'll get onto that soon and post here when it's done :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back