• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ATM fees - which ones are a rip-off?

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Since I got my preloaded currency card to avoid the predations of my UK bank's steep ATM fees and awful exchange rate, I've been paying more attention to the fees charged by the Spanish banks to use their ATM's, which seem to vary widely.

I started a list on my phone last year of the culprits that had steep fees:
BBVA
Sabadell

Can anyone add to this list, or recommend cheaper ones?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Since I got my preloaded currency card to avoid the predations of my UK bank's steep ATM fees and awful exchange rate, I've been paying more attention to the fees charged by the Spanish banks to use their ATM's, which seem to vary widely.

BBVA
Sabadell

If you're walking the northern camino, Leiberbank has no charges. The cash machines in supermarkets appear to have no charges either

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you have a Santander card, not only do they not charge you an ATM fee, they also do not charge you the 2.75% currency conversion fee, I believe. Only applies in Spain though.

And if you need to use plastic to pay for something, use a Halifax Clarity card. No fees there too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last edited:
I am Canadian and last Fall I used the IberCaja

They were a challenge to find (a few times) but charged NO Service Fee

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I drawn 3 times on my CF last year and was charged ~1,70€ per withdrawal.
I used the Caja Rural, that's the equivalant network as my bank at home.

Many pilgrims I've met in bigger supermercados used the chance to withdraw cash at the cashier as they pay for their goods they bought. That's free most of the time.

Anything above €2 is too much in my opinion.

Last edited:
I drawn 3 times on my CF last year and was charged ~1,70€ per withdrawal.
I used the Caja Rural, that's the equivalant network as my bank at home.

Many pilgrims I've met in bigger supermercados used the chance to withdraw cash at the cashier as they pay for their bought goods. That's free most of the time.

Anything above €2 is too much in my opinion.
Thanks for that reminder. I had read that certain places may allow you to add your ‘cash’ withdrawal to the sum of items purchased in a store with your card and avoid the bank cash machine fee.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Caixa €5

Caixa charges seem to vary according to whether your bank corresponds with them either directly or indirectly -- fun fact, I once paid fees on a bank to bank transfer even though I was technically an employee of both banks at the same time on the transfer date (so contractually free at each end), because the transfer went through a third party bank which charged a fee.

Personally though, I pay no withdrawal fees at Caixa ATM, and as it's € to € no exchange commissions either ..

Last edited:
You should realize that many of those “no fee” machines make up for it by charging you a worse exchange rate, so the only way to REALLY know the cost if your withdrawal is only AFTER you take your money out and your home bank processes it. 😔

In short, they will always get their piece of the action...

Well I also feel sorry for Spanish people - in the UK we can use any cash machine at any bank for free (apart from the gougey ones in corner shops which people only use when intoxicated..😆)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unfortunately the Schwab card is only good for the Americans on this forum. If you're European, you'll need to shop around a bit more. I currently use Starling Bank for no-fee withdrawals around the world.

Santander such a bunch of gougers!
Not really!
Santander members can withdraw cash without incurring any charges whatsoever whilst in Spain ....from a Santander bank only ...also their exchange rate is pretty good from my many years experience with them and there's a Santander bank in almost every town
When PAYING with a Santander debit card however...charges are incurred ...therefore we have a Santander ZERO credit card for this purpose
By using both at different times in Spain, we haven't ever paid a penny in charges

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
what about stepping inside a bank (if it's there and it's open) and withdrawng the cash from the cashier? do they charge any extra fees there too? (apart from the exchange rate which is no issue for euro-using countries.)

Thanks for that reminder. I had read that certain places may allow you to add your ‘cash’ withdrawal to the sum of items purchased in a store with your card and avoid the bank cash machine fee.
As far as I am informed it's possible at EROSKI, MERCADONA and LIDL as a service. The small oldtown stores won't offer that service, but the bigger ones will.

I had read some years back about it being a possibility in the larger stores - but hadn’t thought of using it or asking at a supermercado..
never a harm in asking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
what about stepping inside a bank (if it's there and it's open) and withdrawng the cash from the cashier? do they charge any extra fees there too? (apart from the exchange rate which is no issue for euro-using countries.)
Hi,
We tried that a few times but they always direct us to the ATM which are usually outside the bank
Also we always ..and only..take out money from the ATM when the bank is open
Years ago we tried to take out money in Finistere and the machine "ate" the card. we then had to wait till 10.30 the morning after to get it back!
Not ideal if one wants an early start.
Annette

Hi,
We tried that a few times but they always direct us to the ATM which are usually outside the bank
Years ago we tried to take out money in Finistere and the machine "ate" the card. we then had to wait till 10.30 the morning after to get it back!
Annette
I thought that might be the case. ripping us off at the ATMs.
pilgrims have reported that you need to take out the card immediately after the transaction, otherwise the machine will eat it and possibly destroy it - a security measure.

Hi,
Annette
Yep, I only get cash from ATM's in Spain during bank's business hours too. I had a card "eaten" as well on my first camino and learned my lesson.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You may know already but I'm maintaining a "cheatsheet" image which you can all save to your phones. It lists the fees of all the different banks, from free up to 5 euros. It's the result of another forum discussion where everyone contributed their experiences. Wherever possible I've verified the fees personally. Not getting overcharged by banks has become a minor obsession for me ;-)

See here:

My one line summary of all of the above is this:
Liberbank or Ibercaja, and when not: ABANCA!

BBVA
Sabadell

Halifax Clarity card has no charge to use, no commission or loading fees 🤠

BBVA
Sabadell

It's good to stress that fees can come from two different sources : your bank or the Spanish bank / ATM owner. The cheatsheet list I mentioned should let you avoid fees from the latter. For the former, in the UK you can try either Metro Bank or Starling Bank for banks which give you a Mastercard debit card which is fee-free in Spain, and in the case of Starling, for the whole world.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

BBVA
Sabadell

If you open an account with Charles Schwab, you can get their credit card that will work at an ATM. They do not charge ATM fees. If you do get charged, CS will reimburse you at the end of the month.

If you open an account with Charles Schwab, you can get their credit card that will work at an ATM. They do not charge ATM fees. If you do get charged, CS will reimburse you at the end of the month.
Schwab is definitely the best choice for pilgrims from the USA, but it's unfortunately not an option for Europeans, who instead have to do a combo of having a good home bank and being careful which brand cash-machine they use if they want to avoid the fees.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For US based pilgrims, I’ve had luck with a capital one 360 debit card. Never a charge from them, and they even refund fees from overseas banks. Or they did the last time I was in Europe. On the other hand, I have an old account with them so I might be grandfathered in. Check their terms and conditions for yourself.

And it’s funny, that bank account actually started out as a ING account, but then Capital One gobbled up ING’s American division. I have a different bank account that started out when I was a small child. A small neighborhood bank with a passbook. But bigger and bigger banks kept gobbling various smaller banks (there were at least 3), Until I ended up with an account with one of the big international banks. There’s the story of the financial system in a nutshell, and why fewer and fewer people end up with most of the wealth.

And Fidelity reimburses me all ATM fees so I really don't care what they charge
Is this the Fidelity cash management account deal?

"Use your Fidelity® Debit Card to make purchases or get cash anywhere you see the Visa®, Plus®, or Star® logos. All ATM withdrawal fees reimbursed with a cash management account."

Are those logos on Camino ATMs?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

€149,-
I recently tried to extract an amount from two different banks in the same town. The 5 euro fee was similar in both banks but the proposed return for 360 euros was a 40 dollar difference! So don’t only look at the bank fee.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I recently tried to extract an amount from two different banks in the same town. The 5 euro fee was similar in both banks but the proposed return for 360 euros was a 40 dollar difference! So don’t only look at the bank fee.
This is the key issue, and far more significant than a withdrawal fee, and a difference of €20 on a €300 windrawal on ‘their’rate versus ‘on the day’ rate! is typical so be careful! Also check wording on screen. Also recently I note that whilst the ‘accept without conversion’ tends to be the left hand option, some are now offering it to the right of the screen. Take time to absorb on screen info!

Re fees I tend to find regional banks rather than the big national ones can be ‘fee free’.

On the upside £ been doing well versus the € for a while so an upside for the UK folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.