A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Ad

Luggage Storage in Santiago

- Ship your things to Santiago, pick them up when you arrive.

Advertisement

ATM Fees

Advertisment

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Which fees does it not charge? :) There can be three different fees ... the transaction fee, the conversion fee (if using a non Euro based card), and the ATM out-of-network fee.

hinder

Camino(s) past & future
I plan on so I can the Camino in 2014
Many American banks will reimburse you for the ATM out of network fee.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
My Australian bank also reimburses me all ATM fees and does not charge any commission on the conversion. Always ensure you choose to have your own bank do the conversion, not the ATM bank.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (SJPP to SDC); Finisterre and Muxia; Portuguese; Primitivo; Norte (Irun to SDC); Ingles
Just got bank (to the US) from the Norte and checked my bank statement. In addition to Abanca, the following banks do not charge out-of-network or transaction fees:
Caixa Rural
Liberbank
Bankia
Banco Popular
As noted above, your own bank may charge out-of-network fees. As to conversion fees, you can avoid them by choosing not to convert. The screen will ask you if you’d like to convert the transaction into dollars (or whatever your home currency is). Do not choose that option. Always choose euros. Otherwise, the bank will charge you a 3% (more or less) conversion fee, which is probably a lot higher than your own bank will.

Advertisment

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Charles Schwab's debit card reimburses all fees or doesn't charge the fee --- no conversion fees, out of network fee (reimbursed automatically), ATM fees. No minimum balance required in the checking account. And they also pay a .20% interest on checking balances; not much but it sure beats being charged a monthly maintenance fee for having a checking account :)

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
Charles Schwab's debit card reimburses all fees or doesn't charge the fee --- no conversion fees, out of network fee (reimbursed automatically), ATM fees. No minimum balance required in the checking account. And they also pay a .20% interest on checking balances; not much but it sure beats being charged a monthly maintenance fee for having a checking account :)
Love my Chucky!

AnneMaree

Camino(s) past & future
September (2017)
My Australian bank also reimburses me all ATM fees and does not charge any commission on the conversion. Always ensure you choose to have your own bank do the conversion, not the ATM bank.
Who do you bank with Kanga?

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
The bank that refunds all ATM fees and charges no commission on the exchange is ING (it uses whatever is the international Visa exchange rate for that day). There are a few conditions - you have to make a certain number of deposits and purchases out of the account every month.

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 156 26.1%
  • June