Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

ATM - no fees

camino0515-lt

Past OR future Camino
Frances (May/June 2015)
VdlP (Sevilla to Oliva de Plasencia / April 2019)
Portugues (Apr-May 2020)
Hi there, I am from Canada and wonder if you know of a way to avoid (or minimize) those expensive ATM fees?
Will be walking in Portugal and Spain.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.

Kanga

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
My bank refunds all ATM fees both locally and overseas. It seems to be an increasing trend with banks that do not have shopfronts but are only online. I'm in Australia so my bank is probably not relevant to Canada but the usual applies - shop around!

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Past OR future Camino
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-19
It's important to note there are two sources of these traveling ATM fees: (1) your own bank, and (2) the ATM's bank. Your own bank may: (a) charge you a "foreign ATM" fee, (b) partner with certain overseas banks to not charge an additional fee, or (c) refund you any ATM fees anywhere. Those are the situations I've seen personally, your mileage may vary. The ATM's bank may: (a) charge you an "ATM use" fee, (b) participate in a partnership with your own bank to avoid or minimize certain charges, or (c) have no ATM user charge.

So there are lots of nodes of possible complexity here, and research and "cheat sheets" can be very useful. Shopping around can definitely pay off!

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I Googled "Canadian banks no atm fees traveling", and found this article which may be helpful.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
It's important to note there are two sources of these traveling ATM fees: (1) your own bank, and (2) the ATM's bank.

On the second of these two points: there are a series of ATMs in Portugal (and elsewhere in Europe) called Euronet. These aren't tied to banks and are found in convenience stores and other such locations, but charge high fees. In Portugal, look for MB (multibanco) ATMs instead, which will have lesser or no fees. As I live in Portugal and have a Portuguese bank card I don't pay any fees at the MB ATMs - not sure if there is a fee for overseas cards but if there is, I would expect it to be a fair bit lower than Euronet.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads