• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ATM number and keypad questions

CaminoJoy123

Time of past OR future Camino
Are the European ATM machines along the Camino Frances and throughout Europe able to process any sort of PIN number?

For example, are these statements true:

ATMs cannot accept a PIN with more than 4 digits.

ATMs cannot accept a PIN that starts with a zero.

Are there any unusual features with the European or Spanish ATMs?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The problem of Americans with 6-figure PINs using European ATMs has been discussed many times. Some people still report problems from time to time but many more recent machines are capable of using both 4 and 6 digit PINs. Here is some comment on the subject: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lets-talk-money.46307/#post-520868

Thank you for digging that up! I did see that, but still wasn't sure, so your comment is appreciated.

So ATMs located at banks will take longer PINS.

Possibly in some small store, or cafe, or pharmacy an older ATM might be unable to accept a longer PIN? But this would be unusual or rare.

And what about the zeroes, can you have zeroes in your PIN? Even at the beginning of the PIN?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
ok, this is helpful, although this info conflicts with previous info...

As long as I can remember...on this forum the information and advice has always been to use a 4 digit code. There has always been warnings about the 6 digit code.
If conflicting information has been posted, I must have missed it.

Is there a reason why you must stick with a 6 digit code?
It certainly seems much easier to change to a 4 number code and forget it. There will be many things to occupy your attention without worrying about finding a rare machine that you can use in a small town/village.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many of the keypads are upside down or differently laid out from the ones in the UK. Just have to give it your full attention. They also ask you strange questions like 'checking or credit account?'.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many of the keypads are upside down or differently laid out from the ones in the UK. Just have to give it your full attention. They also ask you strange questions like 'checking or credit account?'.

Not strange at all, especially if you have two account types (current/saving) tied to the same card like I do. For all those that wonder, the correct answer is current/checking acount in most cases ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Not strange at all, especially if you have two account types (current/saving) tied to the same card like I do. For all those that wonder, the correct answer is current/checking acount in most cases ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Very important bit of information:
Most of us use our checking account for ATM transactions.

As Sy points out above....the correct choice for CHECKING account is CURRENT account.

While we are slowly adding bits of advice:

You may be asked if you want to be charged in US Funds or in Euros (you will get Euros from the ATM in either case)

The smart choice is to be charged in Euros and let your bank make the conversion. It is almost a certainty that your bank will treat you more fairly. This is a rather new development in Europe and it is simply another way for the banks to increase profits.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had one ask me all the questions: amount, which account, etc., before it even asked for my PIN. It really threw me off

I have a PIN starting with zero and have had no problems. I have used it at different banks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh. I thought you had to use the day and month of your birthday, like me.
Don't even go there. When my father was in the early stages of dementia, but still legally apt, his code was ... you guessed it ... 1234! :confused:If that is not an sign you should be legally declared inapt I don't know what is.

Possibly in some small store, or cafe, or pharmacy an older ATM might be unable to accept a longer PIN? But this would be unusual or rare.
Don't,count on finding ATMs anywhere else but a bank. In larger shops, grocery stores and "fancier" restaurants (not the bar where you stop for a cafe con leche or bocadillo) you should be able to pay with debit or credit card, but that's about it. Otherwise cash in king.

Why not just change your pin to a 4 digit.
That way you can use all ATM's that are compatible with your card.
On the other hand, …

My PINs are each four digits. In a China airport (had to change planes at KMG), the ATM said the "code must be six digits." So I had to use the card to buy coffee.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the other hand, …

My PINs are each four digits. In a China airport (had to change planes at KMG), the ATM said the "code must be six digits." So I had to use the card to buy coffee.
We were told that if the ATM demands a 6-digit code then just add 00 to the end of the 4-digit code.
Never had to do so but I wonder if a 6-digit code is altered to end in 00 whether it would then be accepted with the first 4 digits only? Still easiest IMO to change to a 4-digit code for the Camino and then revert when home again for those who need to do so.

I had one ask me all the questions: amount, which account, etc., before it even asked for my PIN. It really threw me off
Especially when you mistype it because the keypad is upside down, and so you have to do the whole series all over again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They ask 'charge in your home currency?' like they are doing you a favour. The answer is NO!
I had to file a fraud claim when McDonald's claimed that a hand-written note on a wall was proof that they are required to use "your own currency." I refused the transaction and the food, and they filed the charge anyway.

Also, they can't tell from the card, but they have to specify in the message to the card processor.

Adding to the choice of what currency to be charged in, the same option will be presented in most POS terminals so if you are in a shop expect to see the prompt.

This is a "service" offered by the establishment, and every service has a cost. Most retailers don't have an idea of the difference to the customer but the manager or owner who signed up for the feature certainly does.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not necessarily.
It will be quite common. The four digit PIN is standard for most of Europe.
I don't think you can have a leading zero.
Since six people have already stated their experience with leading zero, .....

The 00 should be the final digits we were told not the first, unless they are already part of your PIN.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back