• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ATMs along route?

Fraherch

Time of past OR future Camino
(Finisterre)
We (3 of us) are walking just from Santiago to Finisterre, not the whole camino. I was wondering what kind of access there would be along the route to ATMs. Also, do ablergues and markets take visa? We want to walk with as little cash as possible, for security reasons. I know to budget 30-35 euro per person that day, but should we be carrying that much?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are Very Few places along the Camino that take VISA or any credit cards. It is pretty much a cash economy.

Most people seem to carry 100 to 300 euro with them and replace from ATMs when getting down to about 100 euro. There is an inherent danger in using an ATM on Friday afternoon, Saturday or Sunday as once the bank closes you will not be able to retrieve your card if the machine eats it. :shock:
For that reason....be sure to have adequate funds over the weekend if you are there. It is really a good idea to have two ATM cards from different banks or accounts so if one gets blocked for some reason you will not be without a source of funds.

My personal opinion is that the security risk is not great if you take normal precautions. Don't short yourself with adequate funds.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Fraherch,

Be sure to always carry some euro bills in small denominations; breaking a 50 euro bill in a remote village can be impossible! However, gas stations will often make change even if you don't buy gas!

Before you start your walk towards Finisterre when you are in Santiago ask at to the Galicia Tourist office for info regarding the Finisterre/Muia caminos.Their staff is friendly and most helpful. Located near the cathedral at Rúa do Vilar, 30-32 they have a useful free multi-language listing of all the current facilities in every village found along these caminos including accommodation, shops, bars/restos, etc. This also provides telephone numbers and bus schedules.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Between Santiago and Finisterra there are ATM's in Negreira and Corcubion, I would imagine there is one in Finisterra but I'm not sure. As already stated almost nowhere will accept Visa, only the most expensive restaurants and hotels would do so and they generally only exist in big towns. Having said that it is possible that the supermarket in Negreira does, it is biggish and very busy when I was there.
Negreira is a fair size town, Olveiroa is just a few houses and a bar, I can't comment after that as I walked to Muxia, but I think that both Cee and Corcubion are pretty big and well equiped.
Buen camino
Sue

Cee had an ATM a few days ago, so I would imagine it is still there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Negreira, Cee, Corcubion, Finisterre and Muxia all have ATMs. As others have said, I wouldn't depend on a credit card for much.

To put a definite figure on it, I would feel quite comfortable leaving Santiago de C with €100 in my pocket and not have to worry about atm etc. on my journey to Finisterre and/or Muxia
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I suppose this is a really dumb question--but being from the USA and never traveling abroad except now when I begin the Camino Oct 7--do the ATM's figure out (from my USA bank) the current exchange rate and/or tag on extra fees to that as well as for the use of the ATM?

The machines convert at the daily rate. There usually is an additional ATM charge of about 2.50-4.50E. Your home bank also may have a fee.

I suppose this is a really dumb question--but being from the USA and never traveling abroad except now when I begin the Camino Oct 7--do the ATM's figure out (from my USA bank) the current exchange rate and/or tag on extra fees to that as well as for the use of the ATM?

Make sure that you change your bankcard PIN number from 6 to 4-digit that we are using here in EU.

Ultreia!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back