• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ATM's in Spain

tangata hikoi

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Pamploma (April/May 2014)
VDLP March 2019 Sanabres April 2019
Finisterre/Muxia April 2019
Does anyone know if all the Spanish ATM's charge to get money out of them? I'm not talking about what my own bank charges me for the transaction but what the Spanish banks charge me to use their ATM's.

I'm used to some charging and some not but so far have not found a Spanish ATM that doesn't charge. Most expensive
has been $5 and least $1.87.

Hoping to be able to use one that doesn't charge if it exists?
Megg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have just found another thread with this info started by someone else... apologies.
Most of the answers I need are there already

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does anyone know if all the Spanish ATM's charge to get money out of them? I'm not talking about what my own bank charges me for the transaction but what the Spanish banks charge me to use their ATM's.

I'm used to some charging and some not but so far have not found a Spanish ATM that doesn't charge. Most expensive
has been $5 and least $1.87.

Hoping to be able to use one that doesn't charge if it exists?
Megg
Hello Tanya, since you are from the UK go to the MSE site ( money saving expert ) and search for :
19 cheapest ways to get travel money.
I use this site for everything money orientated.Buen Camino, Mick.

Just managed to get money from Liberbank at no charge...thanks for info !

After reading the above, I searched Google for "ATM Fees Spain." This is one of the information filled sites I came up with. It explains a lot.

This dialog was also helpful...

Also, if you Google "ATM fees Spain," scroll down to the "People Also Ask" section. Click on "What bank has the cheapest ATM fees?" That was also useful.

In the end, you need to do your own research. Also, I have some recommendations for you:

1. ONLY & EVER use an ATM connected to a real bank office that is not closed for good. This way, if the ATM eats your card, you can get it back.

2. NEVER use a free-standing ATM in a cafe / bar, gas station, tienda, train station, etc. UNLESS it is clearly the property of a major bank: Santander, BBVA, Banco Popular, etc. Check the artwork on the "box." You can actually buy an ATM device, load it with money, charge any amount you want to use it, and dispense cash. Many independent business types do this, and charge exorbitant fees.

3. Carry TWO cards that can be used as a debit cards. Make sure each has a FOUR DIGIT PIN number. Only these will work in Spain. This way, if one card goes awry, the other is a backup.

4. When you do take money from an ATM, take enough for the next 3 - 4 days on Camino. There will be another ATM down the path...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The only piece of advice that I see missing is to take out as much money as you feel comfortable carrying rather than taking out little chunks. The ATM fee is a transaction fee which usually isn't based on the amount. If you think of it as an interest payment it becomes clearer and more irritating. Thus a $5 fee on $100 is a 5 per cent charge while obviously a $5 fee on $200 is only a 2.5% fee.

It depends. I live in Madrid right now, so I have to deal with this. From my experience, banks that have the "3600" logo on them do not. Two that I never have fees with are IberCaja and Bankinter. La Caixa chargers about €5. I used to not have a problem with Santander, but now they charger a lot.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Charles Schwab is my bank of choice. They do not charge any transaction fee and whatever the bank in Spain charges you Charles Schwab will reimburse you. Seriously I cannot see how it can get better than this.
Now for the bad news about using your debit card in Spain. If for any reason your card is "eaten" by the ATM machine you cannot get it back. I am talking from personal experience. And this is true regardless of whether it is a bank machine or a freestanding one.
I had my card "eaten" and while the bank acknowledged it was there fault they claimed that they were prohibited by law to return it to me. The good news was that Charles Schwab overnighted me a new card and again there was no charge for this. And just to be clear I do not work for Charles Schwab and I am not paid for this endorsement. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back