• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Attacked by dog at Biduedo (about 6.5 K before Triacastela)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

Here is a message I got from a pilgrim just now. This happened today.
---------

Hello everyone. What started out as a wonderful day took a turn fore the worse today. I would like to warn peregrinos walking through Biduedo (about 6.5 K before Triacastela) to be very careful. We were almost through this small village when one of two large dogs attacked me and bit me (now here's the "humorous" bit to this if there is one) on my bum. I was screaming and crying, my husband swearing and yelling and the dogs suddenly disappeared inside. This was on the right side of the track just past the Casa that is advertised as 60 meters from the start of the village. To the left of where the attack took place was a construction crew working on a roof and an elderly couple. More shocking than the dog bite was that NOBODY came to our assistance despite my crying "por favor medico" and saying "perro" and demonstrating bite anyway I could. We went back through the town and asked a man to call a taxi which he did. After some time he told us that there have been 5 or 6 other instances of bites and advised speaking to the police. As other pilgrims arrived we advised them to be cautious and fortunately some people we had been seeing on and off all day called the police on the spot. A group of approximately 10 or 12 Pilgrims were awaiting the police as we left in a taxi. I was told I would have to go to Sarria. They were very helpful at the medical centre and were able to findo It from the police that I did not need a rabies shot. (Evidently that would have required a trip to Lugo). I said I wanted to file a police report and was given paper work to take to them. After walking around and getting lost we found the police department which was closed. I asked about this in an adjacent bar and was told I had to call them. My lack of a phone and nothing more than basic Spanish put a quick end to that. More than four hours after the bite, hot, tired, and needing somewhere to stay, my feelings towards the Spanish have been less than kind today and I am trying to stop myself from letting one incident change my impressions of Spain. My prescription is filled, we are in an overpriced hotel, and we will tackle the policies tomorrow. Please be careful!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow!

Gracias for the report. I can see that ataques de perros or dog attacks do actually happen. Mucho cuidado en el camino, be care on the camino.

Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

There is a lot of amusement at dog bites but even minor ones can be very serious due to the infection of their bacteria. Its not usually possible to stich them up, you have to sterlise the wound each day and keep changing the dressing, I was bitten by a German shepherd on the hand. I hope the peregrina has no more complications to tend with and she has a safe journey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I carry a dog dazer when walking. It makes a high pitched noise that dogs don't like. I was pleased that I did not need to use it on the Camino Frances earlier this year. Most dogs seemed to be very laid back, sleeping or not bothered. I noticed that in Galicia there were more loose dogs. I also noticed that if we went a bit off the Camino or tried some slightly alternative route some dogs were less friendly. I did have an Alsatian dog with its mouth on my arm in Finisterre but this dog was off the Camino route. It did not bite me and was not aggressive. It had a broken chain hanging off its neck and its owner was standing there so I did not daze it as I felt I must trust the owner to call it off me. It was a dog with sad eyes that I had passed a few times each day. I did not feel frightened of it which is unusual for me. I have used my dazer in the past and dogs just back off. I also used it once in the States for a different reason which was to prevent a dog from running onto a busy road. It was barking and running at us and would have been run over for sure. It just went back into its garden and the owner looked surprised and relieved.

I am very sorry to hear about the bite but so glad that they are going to file a police report. I have been told that EU regulations impose pretty stiff penalties on owners of loose dogs that bite. I am one of those dog-phobes and have developed a standard routine to deal with this when I encounter loose barking dogs on a Camino. I stop walking and start shouting OIGA, OIGA, señores. Someone will eventually come, because the dog is close to home and there is a big racket. Then when the owner tells me "no hace nada" (he won´t do anything to you, which is what he/she usually says), I say thank you very must but I am afraid to pass, so until you do something about the dog I will just stand here with him barking at me, or something to that effect. I have never had a dog actually lunge forward at me if I stopped right when the barking started. They seem content to just stand there and bark. And I´m content to stand there and wait until someone is irritated enough to put an end to the barking. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you, Ivar, for posting this email. This pilgrim has helped us to be more cautious about stray dogs. I've never been afraid of dogs just respectful. I was not really thinking about the harm they could do.

As Lucy Longpath mentions : buy a dog dazer, they really work!

I always carry a whistle, would that possibly be an alternative to a dog dazed? It wouldn't give off a high pitched noise, but a loud noise nonetheless.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the Camino, I only once encountered loose dogs, protecting a farm, walking to Fisterra, in the middle of nowhere. There were 3 of them, circling me and I yelled ! Help, your dogs are scaring me. (In spanish)
And yes, the lady came out and tied one, she said it was the only dangerous one, the others were ok (all Alsatians mind, And I wAs attacked aged 7 by anAlsatian, hence my fear of them to this day.
On my walk to Jerusalem I carried a dog 'scarer', I think it worked, or my waving my sticks in a menacing way....
I don't know, but if you're scared of dogs, I"d recomment carrying one. Made me feel better anyway.

PS: as a result of encountering so many potentially dangerous dogs, I am not not scared of 'ordinary' dogs anymore.
Cows, on the other hand.... Lolol

Last edited:
I always carry a whistle, would that possibly be an alternative to a dog dazed? It wouldn't give off a high pitched noise, but a loud noise nonetheless.
Maybe yes, maybe no, but I don't think so. This special dog dazer has a noise that we humans can't hear, but really molests the dogs ( and other small animals too). We have one and I can assure you it works.
We have a local dog, that hates to be enclosed and is always escaping. It sits outside our house at about 4 am and starts barking like crazy. One blast of our special dog dazer and he's off, immediately!

I was just bit a dog a few days ago, here in my hometown , and I really like dogs so I thought for sure they would n't dare to bite me. But it was just a reminder to keep an eye for them no matter where you are out and about. Though I may see about that dazer thing no need to learn a lesson twice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm so sorry that this happen to you Spain it's not bad its the dog owners that it's not responsible specially in Spain that dogs are just that dogs for the most part they can care less about the creatures. My last camino I was attacked two different times I fend my self with whistle ( which did not faze then a bit ) in combination of an open umbrella and walking stick and little by little walked away in both occasions, it's freaken scary.

Hang in there
Zzotte

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm getting a Dazer, for sure. I've been attacked by dogs on three occasions, and I just hate it. So scary! The worst part is when you lack the dogs' language skills. In the USA, I can usually shame a dog with "bad dog" "go home" "down" "No"-----but what do they say and do for dogs in Spain?

Have you read the reviews of dazers on Amazon? Looks like they're not effective all the time.

Yes I did read them but I still took one and it did help me (psychologically in any case). It was a technological equivalent to 'Dutch courage' if that makes sense...
It does seem to stop dogs in their tracks, momentarily at least and the least agressive ones just run away ... Of course if it's a deaf dog, not much use :rolleyes:
(Bear in mine I didn't buy it for the Camino but for walking through Bulgaria, Serbia, Turkey etc....)

I did walk the VdlP this Summer (starting from Mérida) and we were lucky enough not to have any 'dodgy' encounters with dogs... I didn't carry the dazer.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dazers are prohibited in carry on baggage. It is OK to check it.
A "dog" dazed is prohibited??

Wow....

Also,although some of the reviews claim that the D Dazers aren't effective, the negative reviews seem to be from people who were using them primarily to stop problem barkers. A problem barker--such as a terrier or schnauzer--will bark regardless of the punishment! Born to bark : )

Not sure we have them in Oz - are they available in Spain (Pamplona)?
We bought ours in Santiago. pretty sure you can find one in Pamplona. We always buy our knife in a ferretería there. Ask in one where to find one. Actually I think we bought ours in an Armería.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have you read the reviews of dazers on Amazon? Looks like they're not effective all the time.
Quote: try one, you'll like it! I can assure you that it works!

I'm getting a Dazer, for sure. I've been attacked by dogs on three occasions, and I just hate it. So scary! The worst part is when you lack the dogs' language skills. In the USA, I can usually shame a dog with "bad dog" "go home" "down" "No"-----but what do they say and do for dogs in Spain?

just say strongly "FUERA"!;)

I think I actually have one of these dog dazers somewhere in my camino boxes. I bought it for my first Camino Frances, because I am terribly afraid of big barking dogs. I never used it and realized it was just another thing that was probably not going to be readily accessible if I needed it anyway. I'm happy to send it to anyone who wants to try it, at least to North America.

I know I've said this already, but I think the easiest and safest thing to do is to just stop walking at the point the dog starts barking and start yelling for the owner, who will eventually come, I can guarantee you. Why risk a device that might not work? Why risk forging ahead on the hope that you can pass without incident? If you just stay at the point that triggered the barking, the dog will keep barking but will not (at least in my experience) advance towards you. I once had to wait about 15 minutes for a shephard to appear, but he had been closing up the corral and doing other things. But he came as soon as he heard all the racket. This was in a beautiful mountain walk into Cistierna on the Olvidado, so I didn't mind just sitting and eating my snack and looking at the mountains. I occasionally would walk to where the dog would see me so he would start to bark and then retreat. And as I said, the owner showed up, they always do.

The other reason I do this is because dog people tell me the dog can sense my fear anyway, and that may just make them more aggressive since they know they have an easy target to dominate.

I think I actually have one of these dog dazers somewhere in my camino boxes. I bought it for my first Camino Frances, because I am terribly afraid of big barking dogs. I never used it and realized it was just another thing that was probably not going to be readily accessible if I needed it anyway. I'm happy to send it to anyone who wants to try it, at least to North America.

I know I've said this already, but I think the easiest and safest thing to do is to just stop walking at the point the dog starts barking and start yelling for the owner, who will eventually come, I can guarantee you. Why risk a device that might not work? Why risk forging ahead on the hope that you can pass without incident? If you just stay at the point that triggered the barking, the dog will keep barking but will not (at least in my experience) advance towards you. I once had to wait about 15 minutes for a shephard to appear, but he had been closing up the corral and doing other things. But he came as soon as he heard all the racket. This was in a beautiful mountain walk into Cistierna on the Olvidado, so I didn't mind just sitting and eating my snack and looking at the mountains. I occasionally would walk to where the dog would see me so he would start to bark and then retreat. And as I said, the owner showed up, they always do.

The other reason I do this is because dog people tell me the dog can sense my fear anyway, and that may just make them more aggressive since they know they have an easy target to dominate.

I really have an issue with dogs, to the degree that this is the one thing---the one thing---that gives me pause. Weird guys flashing? no big problem. Big inclines and declines? no huge problem. Snorers and farters? no problem. But dogs advancing on me....shudder! I do appreciate your advice, Ms. Peregrina2000. Also appreciate the loud "Oiga!" (listen to me, darn it!). Sure the dog will "hace nada"---that's what they all say, right? Darn dogs. And how do they grow them so big in Spain?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@annakappa, your right the negative daze reviews complain about ineffectiveness if you're trying to use it with barking dogs.

Spainish mastiffs are simply enormous. We loved them, they are really beautiful dogs with nice natures. There's a beautiful one at the albergue in Guelmes, a great favourite among the pilgrims. Here is a fellow saying "hello" on the Norte. He's big and he's loud, but his tail is wagging.

@annakappa, your right the negative daze reviews complain about ineffectiveness if you're trying to use it with barking dogs.
But it works both with barking dogs AND menacing dogs! They simply turn around and go away. We have tried regularly with both problems!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Ivar, for sharing this. I am the peregrina who was bitten. I appreciate the well wishes and discussion. In this case there was no warning from the dog. My husband is generally a slower walker than I am and was just behind me when this happened. He says that the dog got up from where it was laying and approached me in a crouched position as if hunting. It all happened in the blink of an eye and the dog's teeth were in me before i knew what was happening. The second dog began to advance as my husband began yelling and swinging his walking pole. Again, I want to emphasize that nobody came to talk to us or aid us even though I was pleading for help in Spanish. I have no doubt that everyone in the vicinity knew exactly what had happened. After a lot of perserverance due to confusion and the language barrier, we were finally able to file a report with the Guardia Civil. They took my husband back to Bidueda to verify the dogs location, and after a great deal of conflicting information it was determined that I did not need a rabies shot. Evidently this dog attacked someone about a year ago, and has killed two smaller dogs in the village. The police told me that it is a very dangerous animal and they will take my statement to the judge and will hopefully be able to remove the dog. I must say that we have been very uneasy around all of the dogs that we have passed since. On the bright side we are arriving in Santiago tomorrow and although my nude modelling career may have had a setback I am otherwise recovering well!

Hi, volleyjanice,
I have to say you should get the gold star for the day. I think it's absolutely terrific that you stuck with it and made the effort to get that report filed -- you obviously didn't do it for yourself but for those of us who will follow. Thanks so much for doing that.

I am very sorry that this happened to you, and as someone who always has a scare or two with dogs, I can only imagine how horrible it must have been. But on a brighter note, enjoy your walk into Santiago and may this bad incident just fade in comparison to your experiences on the rest of the Camino and its many wonders. Buen camino, Laurie

@volleyjanice I agree with @peregrina2000. We are indebted to you in persisting with making a report to police. Thank you most sincerely. I know it can be difficult because of language barriers and also because when we are travelling we don't want to have to dwell on bad stuff and it is so easy to run away and try to forget the whole thing. The fact that this dog has already killed two smaller dogs says it all.

I hope you recover quickly, both mentally and physically, and have a simply marvellous and pleasurable end-of-Camino. And come back again! We need more people like you.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Congratulations on your imminent arrival to Santiago. In spite of the dog attack you are accomplishing your goal. Thank you for posting and reporting your ordeal. Making others aware might prevent a similar incident.

Hi, volleyjanice,
I have to say you should get the gold star for the day. I think it's absolutely terrific that you stuck with it and made the effort to get that report filed -- you obviously didn't do it for yourself but for those of us who will follow. Thanks so much for doing that.

I am very sorry that this happened to you, and as someone who always has a scare or two with dogs, I can only imagine how horrible it must have been. But on a brighter note, enjoy your walk into Santiago and may this bad incident just fade in comparison to your experiences on the rest of the Camino and its many wonders. Buen camino, Laurie
Oooh, I like gold stars- thank you Laurie! I did get ice cream as a treat for behaving so well at the hospital...perhaps a little wine as well Other than a bad 24 hour period we have had a wonderful Camino and even the past few days of rain and wind haven't dampened our spirits. Our socks however are another story! Tomorrow we begin walking to Finisterre and Muxia.

@volleyjanice I agree with @peregrina2000. We are indebted to you in persisting with making a report to police. Thank you most sincerely. I know it can be difficult because of language barriers and also because when we are travelling we don't want to have to dwell on bad stuff and it is so easy to run away and try to forget the whole thing. The fact that this dog has already killed two smaller dogs says it all.

I hope you recover quickly, both mentally and physically, and have a simply marvellous and pleasurable end-of-Camino. And come back again! We need more people like you.
Thank you Kanga. My mental status has always been questionable but physically I will be fine. Right now there are still teeth marks and very colourful bruising to admire but fortunately I keep it all under cover from the masses!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Congratulations on your imminent arrival to Santiago. In spite of the dog attack you are accomplishing your goal. Thank you for posting and reporting your ordeal. Making others aware might prevent a similar incident.
Thank you. I certainly hope nobody else experiences this. I'm grateful it was my rear, and not a child's head!

Here's a dazer review:

I work in the cable industry so i install and im always encountering peoples dogs. This has no effect on big dogs and for the little dogs it has the same affect as a stranger calling their name. Their ears just perk up as if their confused to what they hear and thats about it. A chihuahua even walked up to it and licked it. Don't waste your money. I've tried this on every dog imaginable with zero good results. All bad.

I don't doubt they work on occasion, but I would bet that they work best when you throw it at the dog. A rock is better and cheaper. Usually the mere motion of picking one up stops a dog. I have yet to actually have to throw one on the Camino.

This dog sounds like a really bad one. There probably wasn't time to pull out a dazer or a rock, but pretending you are throwing something can be remarkably effective.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I"d love to have your dog dazer! let me know if you can find it, and if you send it to me, I'll reimburse your postage.

I"d love to have your dog dazer! let me know if you can find it, and if you send it to me, I'll reimburse your postage.

Hi, Debrita, I now will have a good reason to clean out my boxes of camino junk. When are you walking? I will not have much time for thorough sorting (I have 15 caminos worth of accumulation) till after Labor Day but I'll take a quick look now and see if I can find it. Hope I can make good on my offer!

I'll leave 28 September! If you find it, great. If not, I'm sure it will be an interesting excursion into boxes and packs! Thanks in either case, and let me know if it turns up and I'll pm you my address.

I bought my dog dazed from Sunflower Guides. I think we ordered it on the Internet. It is probably on their website. I hook it on the top of my trousers when I am walking or keep it in my pocket. It's true that it has to be very handy to be of any use. It is true that it would be possible for the dog to take you by surprise as happened to you Volley Janice. I am so sorry to hear about how that happened to you and admire your courage for continuing your camino! Well done!!

Dear all,

Here is a message I got from a pilgrim just now. This happened today.
---------

Hello everyone. What started out as a wonderful day took a turn fore the worse today. I would like to warn peregrinos walking through Biduedo (about 6.5 K before Triacastela) to be very careful. We were almost through this small village when one of two large dogs attacked me and bit me (now here's the "humorous" bit to this if there is one) on my bum. I was screaming and crying, my husband swearing and yelling and the dogs suddenly disappeared inside. This was on the right side of the track just past the Casa that is advertised as 60 meters from the start of the village. To the left of where the attack took place was a construction crew working on a roof and an elderly couple. More shocking than the dog bite was that NOBODY came to our assistance despite my crying "por favor medico" and saying "perro" and demonstrating bite anyway I could. We went back through the town and asked a man to call a taxi which he did. After some time he told us that there have been 5 or 6 other instances of bites and advised speaking to the police. As other pilgrims arrived we advised them to be cautious and fortunately some people we had been seeing on and off all day called the police on the spot. A group of approximately 10 or 12 Pilgrims were awaiting the police as we left in a taxi. I was told I would have to go to Sarria. They were very helpful at the medical centre and were able to findo It from the police that I did not need a rabies shot. (Evidently that would have required a trip to Lugo). I said I wanted to file a police report and was given paper work to take to them. After walking around and getting lost we found the police department which was closed. I asked about this in an adjacent bar and was told I had to call them. My lack of a phone and nothing more than basic Spanish put a quick end to that. More than four hours after the bite, hot, tired, and needing somewhere to stay, my feelings towards the Spanish have been less than kind today and I am trying to stop myself from letting one incident change my impressions of Spain. My prescription is filled, we are in an overpriced hotel, and we will tackle the policies tomorrow. Please be careful!

Hi Pilgrim,

Being from another country my attention got stuck on another thing in your post... A man told you there had been 5 or 6 other instances of bites? Where I live, the police can kill the dog if it bites anyone even once. Not when they are puppies and still learning, but if they are adult dogs that's what may happen. If they bite or even show tendencies of biting, the police has the right to take them from the owner and then decide over what to do with it. Killing it is one option, but not the only one. It can be sold, or the police themselves can care for it, but what is certain is that it is taken from the owner as he/she has prooved that he/she is not capable of caring for it.

Cruel? We hold the view that if it has happened once it can happen again - the animal may for example attack a child which could be lethal - and every dog-owner has to comply to this. If the same dog has bitten other pilgrims, the police should have taken care of the animal a long time ago if it had happened here. Now, perhaps the routine is the same in Spain, I don't know.

/BP

Thank you Ivar, for sharing this. I am the peregrina who was bitten. I appreciate the well wishes and On the bright side we are arriving in Santiago tomorrow and although my nude modelling career may have had a setback I am otherwise recovering well!

You can always give your artist the opportunity to paint your better side Janice and congratulations on completing your Camino! B

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Years ago, Rebecca (I think) gave me advice that has never failed for me.
When barking dogs approach on the Camino, bend down and pick up a rock or even ACT as though you are...
they will run.
I just don't know about walking the Camino with a dog dazer in hand.
Would you clip it to your pack?

By the way, I was once attacked and bitten by a pit bull, so I'm also VERY afraid of dogs, even tiny ones... it's something you never quite get over.

When barking dogs approach on the Camino, bend down and pick up a rock or even ACT as though you are...
they will run.

By the way, I was once attacked and bitten by a pit bull, so I'm also VERY afraid of dogs, even tiny ones... it's something you never quite get over.

I too was attacked and bitten by a pit bull, with the owner encouraging it to "Get 'er!".

He later apologized profusely, and delivered a case of beer to my door, but only because my furious elderly neighbor took me by the hand and marched me down there to ream him up one side and down the other for his rudeness and horrid behavior.

On my recent Camino, I had some interesting issues...

1. A young Camino daughter who tried to pet EVERY dog she saw, to my horror. I spent more time admonishing her than being afraid.

2. Encountering a field just chock-a-block full of Great Pyrenees dogs, who would squeeze under their fences and meander around, to my utter amazement and fear! A truckload of Spanish guys pulled over when I flagged them down, and assured me that there would be no problem, unless I went into the field!

3. A beautiful border collie, who was assisting the Spanish police by running up and down the trail and checking on pilgrims.

4. A small terrier, who attached itself to a friend of mine and would not leave until we went into a bar and stayed put for awhile.

In short, I had good fortune on my Camino, and was able to avoid close encounters of the canine kind!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
1. A young Camino daughter who tried to pet EVERY dog she saw, to my horror. I spent more time admonishing her than being afraid.

You better never walk with me, I am literally chatting with every dog I meet and handing out ear-scratchies as if they would go out of fashion ;-) Buen Camino, SY

€149,-

In Galicia when I am in front an agressive loose dog first I say in a friendly way: KIZ, KIZ, KIZIÑO and usually works
The agressive way is: TISTO!.... PASA DE AHÍ CAN! showing the trekking pole.
In the rest of Spain I would say FUERA! or VETE!.

they will run.

My dog dazer has a clip on it. I clip it onto my backpack belt or top of my trousers or if I can see or hear dogs around I take it off the belt and have it in my hand so it is more easily ready to use. It makes me feel safer. I have never actually been bitten so am not sure why I am so frightened of dogs or uneasy around them.

... I have never actually been bitten so am not sure why I am so frightened of dogs or uneasy around them.

The stories you heard of others that heard stories that happened to the second friend of their third cousin four removed? Seriously, instead of carrying this kind of devices it would be more beneficial if those of you that are not comfortable around dogs have a session with a professional dog trainer that explains to you about dog body language and appropriate responses to them. Sometimes a dog that runs towards you just wants to PLAY!!! or have its ears scratched. Buen Camino sin miedo, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, not only stories, I did see my sister getting bitten by a dog when she was 3 years old. But yes, you are right that the majority of dogs probably want to play. My experience of dogs on the Camino Frances was that they were mostly not that interested in the passing pilgrims. I did have a dog jump up and playfully put its mouth around my arm in Finisterre. I was not afraid of this one despite its broken chain hanging from it neck because I could sense it was not aggressive. Yes , it may be a good suggestion to become more familiar with the ways dogs behave.

Yeah, yeah, I totally agree with you with this one exception after 2 Alsatians left to guard a herd of sheep as I was walking from Oloron to Sarrance attacked me. These guys thought part of their territory was the Camino. A scratch behind the ear was impossible and I was glad to be walking with poles and able to fight them off with my poles. If it had been more than 2 dogs who knows?

left to guard a herd of sheep as I was walking from Oloron to Sarrance
We had a Pyrenees dog guide us along a poorly marked section of the route for an hour! He would reach a turn on the path, then sit and wait for us. Eventually we reached a herd of sheep being guarded by a friend of his, and he chose dog company over human company.

Dogs are as different as people!

There is a belief system in the Martial Arts; the more fear you generate the more it will be drawn to you.
I have a Great Dane. On my Camino last year the big farm dogs would be barking their heads off until I arrived and then I'd be greeted with tail wags. I'd coo to the dog about what a buen perro he was. Ok maybe I was just lucky but I think it was because I love big dogs!

Just now purchased a Dazer from Amazon. Been bitten twice ( in the USA) .. loose dogs freak me out now. I carry dog treats when I hike and they have worked , as long as you don't mind having dogs follow you thereafter

VolleyJanice your my heroine :)

Hi Pilgrim,

Being from another country my attention got stuck on another thing in your post... A man told you there had been 5 or 6 other instances of bites? Where I live, the police can kill the dog if it bites anyone even once. Not when they are puppies and still learning, but if they are adult dogs that's what may happen. If they bite or even show tendencies of biting, the police has the right to take them from the owner and then decide over what to do with it. Killing it is one option, but not the only one. It can be sold, or the police themselves can care for it, but what is certain is that it is taken from the owner as he/she has prooved that he/she is not capable of caring for it.

Cruel? We hold the view that if it has happened once it can happen again - the animal may for example attack a child which could be lethal - and every dog-owner has to comply to this. If the same dog has bitten other pilgrims, the police should have taken care of the animal a long time ago if it had happened here. Now, perhaps the routine is the same in Spain, I don't know.

/BP
Apologies Bad Pilgrim, I just saw this. Here in Victoria, BC Canada a similar thing would happen. The dog would likely be seized and held while an investigation was done. This has reminded me that I still need to follow up with La Guardia Civil in Sarria. I am curious to know what came of my "denunciation". They seemed confident that they would finally be able to take the dog. It was a local who told me there had been a number of attacks, whereas the police confirmed one attack on a person, and two small dogs in the village killed by the same dogs involved in my incident. Perhaps not all were reported to authorities

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just now purchased a Dazer from Amazon. Been bitten twice ( in the USA) .. loose dogs freak me out now. I carry dog treats when I hike and they have worked , as long as you don't mind having dogs follow you thereafter

VolleyJanice your my heroine :)
Why thank you kind sir. I now feel a need to shop for a super hero(ine) cape! The children in my daycare should be suitably impressed.

I have a Great Dane. On my Camino last year the big farm dogs would be barking their heads off until I arrived and then I'd be greeted with tail wags. I'd coo to the dog about what a buen perro he was. Ok maybe I was just lucky but I think it was because I love big dogs!
I generally prefer bigger dogs also. The little yappy ones are usually the biggest trouble makers. Not this time!

You can always give your artist the opportunity to paint your better side Janice and congratulations on completing your Camino! B
I could provide the photo of my bruised derriere for inspiration. Wouldn't that make for a colourful work of art above the mantel?!

€46,-
There is a belief system in the Martial Arts; the more fear you generate the more it will be drawn to you.
I think there is a certain amount of truth to that. I tried very hard to maintain a calm exterior when I came across the many dogs we continued to encounter, knowing full well that they sense fear (and aggression). Just not easy to shake off the sense of unease even now.

The stories you heard of others that heard stories that happened to the second friend of their third cousin four removed? Seriously, instead of carrying this kind of devices it would be more beneficial if those of you that are not comfortable around dogs have a session with a professional dog trainer that explains to you about dog body language and appropriate responses to them. Sometimes a dog that runs towards you just wants to PLAY!!! or have its ears scratched. Buen Camino sin miedo, SY
While I would not carry one of these devices, (largely due to the fact that I don't see how you could realistically manage to carry it and utilize it)I also don't understand why dog owners think it is okay for their dog to rush up to people and expect us to understand that "He/She is a nice dog/likes children/is friendly". I acknowledge a difference between rural and urban settings as to how much freedom a dog would have but in the instance of my bite I'm pretty sure that there was no mixed message in finding a set of teeth chomping on my "culo"!

I believe a lot of the dogs one encounters on the Camino are "work" dogs or "guard" dogs rather than merely pets. Often they are housed in cages or outside pens, perhaps on a chain, rather than curled up on a cozy dog bed inside a warm house. They are probably aggressive and suspicious because they're not treated with a lot of love & kindness.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I believe a lot of the dogs one encounters on the Camino are "work" dogs or "guard" dogs rather than merely pets. Often they are housed in cages or outside pens, perhaps on a chain, rather than curled up on a cozy dog bed inside a warm house. They are probably aggressive and suspicious because they're not treated with a lot of love & kindness.

Sooooo... I grew up on a farm where dogs were never invited into the house. They WERE work dogs and they lived outside. They were good watch dogs. But that doesn't mean they were not treated with love and kindness. They had a job to do. They did it. They were fed, petted, trained, and cared for. They just weren't considered human, as some pets are today. They rarely got sick, but if they did, they died and we buried them. Nobody would have thought about taking a dog to the vet unless it was a very valuable working dog. Nobody had money for that. Same with cats. My grandmother had over 35 outdoor cats on the ranch. They kept the rodent and pigeon populations down. They got fed once a night, leftovers from our dinner mixed with Purina Dog Chow. Now, my mother has a pet dog in the house and her father STILL complained the house was no place for a dog up until the day he died. lol! It just wasn't done where we lived.

I often feel like rural Spain reminds me of when I was a girl, back in the 50's -

Sooooo... I grew up on a farm where dogs were never invited into the house. They WERE work dogs and they lived outside. They were good watch dogs. But that doesn't mean they were not treated with love and kindness. They had a job to do. They did it. They were fed, petted, trained, and cared for. They just weren't considered human, as some pets are today. They rarely got sick, but if they did, they died and we buried them. Nobody would have thought about taking a dog to the vet unless it was a very valuable working dog. Nobody had money for that. Same with cats. My grandmother had over 35 outdoor cats on the ranch. They kept the rodent and pigeon populations down. They got fed once a night, leftovers from our dinner mixed with Purina Dog Chow. Now, my mother has a pet dog in the house and her father STILL complained the house was no place for a dog up until the day he died. lol! It just wasn't done where we lived.

I often feel like rural Spain reminds me of when I was a girl, back in the 50's -

I couldn't explain it better! (I mean, even if I had a good English).
The general situation in Galicia for work dogs in farms is very similar to your description.
In the rest of Spain I don´t have enough information but I think it is also good.
The bad situation for work dogs in Spain is probably associated to hunts with many dogs involved.

Ok, this thread has completely rattled me.

I am not good with dogs. At all. Aside from being allergic to them, I grew up in Moscow where there are a lot of strays who chase and attack. The universal language of picking up a rock works there about half the time.
I've just rush ordered a dazer thing (not the actual one, as I can't get one shipped in time), but am I in for 220km of being terrorised by dogs? This might actually make me reconsider the whole thing. :(

€46,-
Ok, this thread has completely rattled me.

I am not good with dogs. At all. Aside from being allergic to them, I grew up in Moscow where there are a lot of strays who chase and attack. The universal language of picking up a rock works there about half the time.
I've just rush ordered a dazer thing (not the actual one, as I can't get one shipped in time), but am I in for 220km of being terrorised by dogs? This might actually make me reconsider the whole thing. :(

Hi, CykaUJ,
Another deep breath is in order. ;) I am a dog-phobe too. I have walked thousands of kms alone and have had a few instances of barking dogs that stopped me in my tracks. When it happened, since it is always going to happen near the house or farm where the dog lives, since that's what the dog is "guarding" after all, I just stop, but I don't retreat unless the dog is very menacing. If it's just barking I stay where I am, it keeps barking, and I yell "Oiga" "Oiga" until all the noise gets the attention of the owner. If the owner happens to be in a busy noisy milking barn, it may take a while, but they always show up. At that point they will take the dog so I can pass. (They invariably tell me that the dog won't bite, but I explain that I don't want to test the veracity of that statement).

Since you'll be on the Portugues you are not going to be going through mountain sections where shephards may be guarding flocks/herds with a dog. Those dogs sometimes get a bit detached from the shephards and I once had to wait 20 minutes till the guy appeared. But hey, what's the rush, this is the Camino and it was in a beautiful stretch of mountain scenery. But that's nothing for you to worry about.

I think the dazer may be overkill, but if it makes you feel more confident, go ahead and carry it.

Hi, CykaUJ,
Another deep breath is in order. ;) I am a dog-phobe too. I have walked thousands of kms alone and have had a few instances of barking dogs that stopped me in my tracks. When it happened, since it is always going to happen near the house or farm where the dog lives, since that's what the dog is "guarding" after all, I just stop, but I don't retreat unless the dog is very menacing. If it's just barking I stay where I am, it keeps barking, and I yell "Oiga" "Oiga" until all the noise gets the attention of the owner. If the owner happens to be in a busy noisy milking barn, it may take a while, but they always show up. At that point they will take the dog so I can pass. (They invariably tell me that the dog won't bite, but I explain that I don't want to test the veracity of that statement).

Since you'll be on the Portugues you are not going to be going through mountain sections where shephards may be guarding flocks/herds with a dog. Those dogs sometimes get a bit detached from the shephards and I once had to wait 20 minutes till the guy appeared. But hey, what's the rush, this is the Camino and it was in a beautiful stretch of mountain scenery. But that's nothing for you to worry about.

I think the dazer may be overkill, but if it makes you feel more confident, go ahead and carry it.

Thank you so much for the deep breath reminder. :) I feel much more calm after reading your reply and I will certainly remember the 'oiga' phrase!! You are right, it's the Camino and if I need to be patient and wait for something to pass, I certainly will.
I did just order a dazer on rush order, the reviews are mixed on them, but it's small and i'll loop it onto my backpack. It'll be peace of mind more than anything. I've seen a few people say to bend over to act like you're picking up a rock, which is what we did growing up in Moscow and is generally effective enough.

Another one with fear of dogs here! And yes, the dog dazzer helped, if only psychologically.... I'm like you, this thing about picking up a stone....Nah, never dared as I was never sure how the dogs would react!

First things first, you're walking the Camino. If it is the French one , ie 'camino francés', there aren't any wild dogs that you should be scared of. Honest. I encountered guard dogs walking to Fisterra but I did like Laurie suggested, stopped and yelled : your dog is scaring me, help! and soon enough the farmlady came and saw to them (she only had them loose cos SHE was scared! On her own in a farm in the middle of nowhere).

Spain is a very safe country regarding dogs, you'll be fine. Even on the Via dlPlata, I had no problems with dogs. Trust me, I'm the most chicken-like person :D

I took the dog dazzer thingy because I was walking through Eastern countries and the middle of Turkey (Anatolia) and since my encounter with wild dogs out there, I can assure you, Spanish dogs are not the same! Be wary but don't fear, have your sticks at the ready if need be but it won't come to that. You'll be fine. Buen camino :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another one with fear of dogs here! And yes, the dog dazzer helped, if only psychologically.... I'm like you, this thing about picking up a stone....Nah, never dared as I was never sure how the dogs would react!

First things first, you're walking the Camino. If it is the French one , ie 'camino francés', there aren't any wild dogs that you should be scared of. Honest. I encountered guard dogs walking to Fisterra but I did like Laurie suggested, stopped and yelled : your dog is scaring me, help! and soon enough the farmlady came and saw to them (she only had them loose cos SHE was scared! On her own in a farm in the middle of nowhere).

Spain is a very safe country regarding dogs, you'll be fine. Even on the Via dlPlata, I had no problems with dogs. Trust me, I'm the most chicken-like person :D

I took the dog dazzer thingy because I was walking through Eastern countries and the middle of Turkey (Anatolia) and since my encounter with wild dogs out there, I can assure you, Spanish dogs are not the same! Be wary but don't fear, have your sticks at the ready if need be but it won't come to that. You'll be fine. Buen camino :)

Thank you for the reassurance. The stone thing does work, at least on dogs in Russia and Africa.

Let's hope Portuguese dogs are as safe as the Spanish ones then!

Use the stone thing then on the Portuguese dogs ;) all the very best, buen camino and fear not.

Sometimes it works to repel dogs with your walking sticks.
This will almost certainly encourage the dog and give it more reason to bite as it sees the stick as an attack.

Best thing is to stand still, no eye to eye contact, folding your arms can be very effective whilst turning your back.

Waving arms/sticks and shouting are not the smart thing.

Living in Romania, I had a lot of encounters with stray dogs. The dog deterrent device works if the dog is not deaf. :) And some of the old ones are.

Yes I did read them but I still took one and it did help me (psychologically in any case). It was a technological equivalent to 'Dutch courage' if that makes sense...
It does seem to stop dogs in their tracks, momentarily at least and the least agressive ones just run away ... Of course if it's a deaf dog, not much use :rolleyes:
(Bear in mine I didn't buy it for the Camino but for walking through Bulgaria, Serbia, Turkey etc....)

I did walk the VdlP this Summer (starting from Mérida) and we were lucky enough not to have any 'dodgy' encounters with dogs... I didn't carry the dazer.
When everyone refers to a "dog dazer" is it an ultrasonic bark control device? This is all that comes up in an Amazon search, and they all seem to be geared toward barking rather than aggression. Should I be using different search terms?

Sometimes it works to repel dogs with your walking sticks.
Preferably I prefer stones, sometimes boulders, depending on the size of the dog! Sometimes the mere action of picking up the projectile and uttering savage cries and curses backs the dog off. This is where large stave comes in handy as whirling it about the head ( of the dog ) sends a clear message that you are not to be messed with. I would prefer a Gatling gun, or a flamenwaffer, but it just adds to the pack weight! I walk in peace and have no truck with apologists for assailants be they man or beast !

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

€60,-
Since this thread is now 8 years old, the animal that originally sparked off this thread is probably happily wagging his tail in doggie heaven by now.

There are a lot of threads on the forum about dogs on the forum, so I shall close this one. I would just like to point out first that Spanish dogs are genetically identical to dogs in other countries but generally better trained and/or restrained. There is a lot of highly dubious advice about how to deal with dogs in Spain. If you wouldn´t do it in your country, don´t do it in Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.