• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Attacked this morning in Santarem

filly

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - Sagunto and aiming to reach Soria
My friend, a lovely lady of 71, an experienced hiker was attacked this morning when walking up to yown from the train station. She wants to continue the walk northwards yomorrow Sunday but needs to join others. Is anyone else on the road and staying in Santarem tonight? She checked in to a hotel as the albergue only opens at 17.00

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
She is not going to report this as she cannot identify the TWO perpetrators. It was a sexual attack allied to a robbery though she only lost a gold chain... and her confidence!

She is not going to report this as she cannot identify the TWO perpetrators. It was a sexual attack allied to a robbery though she only lost a gold chain... and her confidence!

Oh so dreadful.
I hope she finds companions and I hope she changes her mind and she will go to the police. Imho she really should do that.

She has now been to the police. Third attack in two days! Please try not to be alone in Santarem. This happened before 7 am this morning..., police were very kind, helpful and she has been able to help in the identification. The attacks have not only been on pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am so sorry to hear this. All good wishes to your friend. The gold chain must have had a special meaning for her if she wore it on her pilgrimage. Here's hoping it will be returned to her!

There has been disturbing news from other areas in Portugal too, mainly sourth of Porto. Please stay safe out there, take care of one another and do not walk alone.

The impact of this on the poor victim must be horrible. Like others, I am so glad that she reported this to the police, Filly, please let her know that there are lots of caring vibes going her way. If she is going to stay in town for a while, I’m sure Mario at @santaremhostel would be very helpful.

Although this note is directed at peregrinas who experience an assault in Spain, much of this advice is good for all.

Note from the moderators

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVEyourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So sorry to hear this.
As already stated , the best thing she can do imho is to report this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pergrina, this happened in PORTUGAL.
The Spanish government has no jurisdiction there, Portugal has been an independent state since 1139.
I know Laurie can "defend" herself but I still want to point out that you obviously misread at least one sentence of her post:
"Although this note is directed at peregrinas who experience an assault in Spain, much of this advice is good for all. "

Number 112 works in Portugal too even if the country is independent since 1139 ;)

A young German pilgrim was confronted yesterday afternoon, just before Caldas de Reis (Portuguese route)... she was alone and this morning we made sure we walked the first hour through forest as a large group, instead of individually.

Take care

K

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The impact of this on the poor victim must be horrible. Like others, I am so glad that she reported this to the police, Filly, please let her know that there are lots of caring vibes going her way. If she is going to stay in town for a while, I’m sure Mario at @santaremhostel would be very helpful.

Although this note is directed at peregrinas who experience an assault in Spain, much of this advice is good for all.

Note from the moderators

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVEyourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

Thanks, Laurie! I do have the 112 number on speed dial, but now will put in the app in for alert cops!

Filly, Thank you for your post! Thank your friend forg going to the police! I pray and hope the rest of her journey is peace-filled! Blessings

It was a sexual attack?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My friend, a lovely lady of 71, an experienced hiker was attacked this morning when walking up to yown from the train station. She wants to continue the walk northwards yomorrow Sunday but needs to join others. Is anyone else on the road and staying in Santarem tonight? She checked in to a hotel as the albergue only opens at 17.00

Today we have 13 pilgrims in Santarem Hostel leaving tomorrow.

Please let her know to visit us today in order to join the group tomorrow morning.

The Santarem Hostel is on the caminho, leave the big roundabout in the post office exit

The Hostel is on your left in the first crossroad

Bom caminho

Mario
P.S. I have contacted the police and there is no report about this incident
Did she contact the urban police (PSP) or the rural police (GNR) ?
Also note the albuerge in Santa Casa is closed in week ends and hollidays.
Hostels are always open

This is the best advice for everybody! It is important to know what the equivalent of USA's 911 is in Spain, plus the app you suggest is a must for all. Thank you, Laurie!
I read it all. Thank you for nothing.
Replies like yours are rude and disrespectful. Take into consideration the intent of the writer wanting to help everyone. Perhaps, not the advice you need, but others do.
Note from the moderators

Please let her know to visit us today in order to join the group tomorrow morning.

The Santarem Hostel is on the caminho, leave the big roundabout in the post office exit

Bom caminho

Mario
Hostels are always open
Mario
Obrigada, we all need to know she reported, please follow up if possible - important in so many ways - especially for Santarem and Pilgrims.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Filly.
Do you know the name of the Hotel where she is?

@filly So sad to hear she was attacked and I hope she is ok and feeling better. I am happy she decided to report it to the police and they were compassionate as well as helpful.

Unfortunately there are those in this world who choose to take advantage of others and wonderful @santaremhostel is able to offer assistance and support. @peregrina2000 gave great advise. I just downloaded the app for use with next years camino. I hope the act of kindness and support of these few will help to give her the faith and courage she needs to complete her camino.

On a side note: Karma is a **tch...and I believe those who prey on others will get their punishment in due course. Tell your friend to keep her chin up, and take one day at a time putting one foot in front of the other. It would be hard to not feel a little afraid after this but I hope she knows we are all behind her, walking with her, and walking in front of her. My best wishes for the rest of her camino.

Last edited:

May God be with her and protect her from evil like this! It might be a good idea for her to see a doctor!

It really doesn't matter that she cannot identify the perpetrators!! The police need to know that this is happening in their area and that they need to be on the watch! It's possible that they might have an idea who the suspects are because it might have happened before, and perhaps not necessarily to a pilgrim!! Report it, if you can, please! It is important for the locals to know as well!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK suspects now identified by the police!

All well - let’s just all be more aware that danger lurks in towns, forests and on the camino... unfortunately.

Thanks to all for support and suggestions. Fabulous of you Mario to be in touch, though I do assure you it is a reported case in progress.

All well - let’s just all be more aware that danger lurks in towns, forests and on the camino... unfortunately.

Thanks to all for support and suggestions. Fabulous of you Mario to be in touch, though I do assure you it is a reported case in progress.
Wonderful news! Karma takes it’s revenge:) And thank you for keeping us updated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hi There,
I'm begin my Camino on Sat 22nd and taken the train to Santerem and bike on from there.

I'm traveling solo. Should I avoid Santerem? I won't be staying there and will be arriving around 10:00am.

Thank you!
Ruth

Hi There,
I'm begin my Camino on Sat 22nd and taken the train to Santerem and bike on from there.

I'm traveling solo. Should I avoid Santerem? I won't be staying there and will be arriving around 10:00am.

Thank you!
Ruth
Whoops! I mean Santarem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi There,

Thank you!
Ruth
Hi Truthi.
This kind of incidents can and do happen in all caminhos. Santarem is a very peacefull town, believe me.
But bad people are all over the world. I do believe that after this incident the police will take more care in this kind of incidents. I will contact the goverment office and report this incident in order to assure more security during the caminho. They must be more "pre-active".
Bom Caminho
Mario

I will contact the goverment office and report this incident in order to assure more security during the caminho. They must be more "pre-active".
Excellent.
I have to say there is a sad repetitiveness to these reports about various places on the Portuguese. So I hope they get a handle on this and other incidents, @santaremhostel, before the Portugues gets a bad reputation.

Hi Truthi.
This kind of incidents can and do happen in all caminhos. Santarem is a very peacefull town, believe me.
But bad people are all over the world. I do believe that after this incident the police will take more care in this kind of incidents. I will contact the goverment office and report this incident in order to assure more security during the caminho. They must be more "pre-active".
Bom Caminho
Mario

Hi Mario,
Thank you for the message. It's good to hear your reflection. While this news is scary, it is also an opportunity to remember to be aware of my surroundings and try to be as safe as I can.

I will make every effort to avoid being another #metoo. I actually took a women's self defense class about a month ago. This was in preparation for my Camino. It had very useful information. I'm a gentle sort of person, but I trust that if I find myself in harm's way, the aggressor when learn they have picked the wrong gal.

It's sad and unfortunate that these events have happened. I do hope the police and protection authorities are taking action...pre-action.

All the best,
Ruth

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@truthi You may want to consider booking your first night with Mario at his Santarem Hostel. It is a highly recommended albergue and, under the circumstances, a excellent start to your adventure on the Portugués Route.

Hi Grayland,
I'm actually just passing through. It's the start point for my cycling. If I were spending the night, I would take your advice and stay there.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Ruth

Awful - and nearly 100% of these recent attacks seem to happen in Portugal - why is this?

It's hard to say. But one possibility is that the reporting rate, for whatever reason, may be higher in Portugal than in Spain. Sometimes an apparent increase in such offences is the result of victims feeling more confident about making complaints to the authorities.

Bom caminho

Mario
Hostels are always open
Mario,
You are such an angel on the Camino!
You were so welcoming to my two daughters and me when we came through in April.
So glad you chimed in to offer assistance here!
Your hostel in my eyes is a must to stop at!!!!!...and spend an extra night!!!!

I'm so sorry to read what happened to your friend, I hope she will find companions and regain her spirits to continue her camino. What a terrible thing to experience.
I have the best memories of walking the Portuguese Camino and meeting the Portuguese people, so friendly and helpful. But there are bad people everywhere - don't let them ruin the reputation of PC.

I agree with all about staying safe etc - but, am I the only one who senses an unfair momentum building here with north (safe) vs south (unsafe) - that is not fair to people who live in south Portugal, to the folks who work the southern camino hostels and other housing, the food they serve etc. Let us be thoughtful and critical thinkers also! Portugal is the now the third most safe country in the world -
http://portugalresident.com/portugal-now-third-safest-country-in-world

Really, what more do you want from a country and its people?

PS when i walk up the portuguese camino - i am building a thread with every nice thing every single Portuguese person has done for me along the way :))

Last edited:
Really, what more do you want from a country and its people?
What I want is to feel safe as a woman walking pilgrimage routes alone. I do not see that these statistics touch that issue, given the series of sexual assaults on women alone which have been reported on this forum.

I can understand - I can only show you statistics that are collected, reliable, and sharable. If you feel the police in Portugal are reliable, you can contact them of course, that to me is a reliable source of information too about crime related to Camino in their towns.

https://www.safecommunitiesportugal.com/police-in-portugal/

Also, these folks take care of phone calls in English etc 24/7 about Portuguese Camino - they can answer daily safety information and concerns, and you can follow up with them on scary reports you hear here of course - that might help you also? (Ivar has a fantastic forum, but it is only ONE available source of information available to you, ok?). I always think to myself Internet posts from anonymous people vs sources I can actually verify for hard facts if needed - if that makes sense?

https://sacramentopilgrims.com/camino-portuguese/

We have a telephone support 24 hours / day to help pilgrims: 00351 – 966 426 851

Our email address is: lais.lisboa.portugal@gmail.com

Also, you might like to read this great blog - with pictures of each turn in the road (if you want to know before you head out) starting in Lisbon!
https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-portugues.html

"Call the Via Lusitana SOS number, if you get into trouble. It is 915-595-213. They are the organization that supports and maintains the Camino Portugués."

And their website is sweet and you will like knowing you can contact them too
http://www.vialusitana.org/sobre/fazemos/

TheSparrow :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I find it as ranked 12th - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/safest-countries-in-the-world/
But whatever number it actually has, it is a safe country. That said - well, I didn't know there was a north-south divide re crime but stating truth (if it is truth) that there are more criminal acts against pilgrims in one area of the country does not in any way criticise the good people in that area, and to be unable to make statements because we might upset 'nice helpful people' doesn't help at all.

I don't know what the actual statistics are, for Portugal and which area, nor for Spain, it just seems to me that we have had quite a few reports on the forum from Portuguese Caminos and almost none from Spanish Caminos, and seemingly zero from French Caminos, and to suggest that pilgrims in Spain (or France) don't report is silly. I don't know if this is a factor or not but what we in Europe have found is that where there is high and recent immigration, both from previously Eastern European countries and outside the EU, street crimes and violence have risen significantly, especially crimes against women. In the cities this is put down to drug and gang problems, most of whom are from immigrant communities.
This is not a xenophic statement, just something that most in the western EU, and their police forces, have noticed.

Last edited:
Hi David,

I appreciate your contribution :)

A tourism board I have never heard of before rated countries in that article, not my favorite source, but, good to see they like Portugal! I used an internationally recognized source that keeps data year to year and is used to understand the Peace Process world wide. No source is perfect, but some a little more reliable perhaps.

Report to police yes, please please that is perfect! I assume you are using police reports to know the data and not this forum as one's sole source of information - that was my main point.

Obrigada,
TheSparrow

Hi Sparrow - no, not at all, I am only going by reports onto this forum over the last year or so - which I have mentioned above a couple of times.
As an average sort of chap I am both disturbed and appalled that women are having problems on Camino and that those incidents are filtering down to lead to fear in others. Until a few years ago we appeared to live in a time of Camino innocence.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you! That is my point - poison is flowing here and already one pilgrim says she will not walk Camino Portugal - that is sad to me. And if you think about it, we still know no real facts. That is sad that her dream is gone now forever.

I am writing one of the authority groups now to see if I can find information regarding a "sexual attack on and robbery" in that town yesterday ok? I will write back on here when I hear - that way at least we know what is what and how much is urban legend.

Ah, I see your point Sparrow - would be great to have actual figures.
I wrote an email - either way, so many people need to know and I need to know I can verify - so, here is my first test case! I will write you back later :) And it is always good to make friends with these folks in Portugal who monitor the Camino!

Good plan. Though not sure about "urban legends" - if pilgrims are reporting on here that seems pretty factual. Filly, for instance, is a seasoned pilgrim and wrote asking for help for a pilgrim friend in need - hardly urban legend material.
I wonder if regional police hold databases on Camino/pilgrim incidents.

Yes, this is helpful information - and I have learned to always verify sources - we need to know how to check - even if a veteran member - why would I not be encouraged to do that? I appreciate the report here, thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
already one pilgrim says she will not walk Camino Portugal - that is sad to me. And if you think about it, we still know no real facts. That is sad that her dream is gone now forever.
Hi, Sparrow. I don't know if you were referring to what I said? [Edit...She wouldn't have been: what I said in that regard was somewhere else. But I'll leave this as written...]
If so, I just want to add a few clarifying details...I have never had a dream of walking the Portugues; there are plenty of other caminos that are way above that on my list. And as there is no real 'spark,' the reports (and there have been a number of them here) just add to my bias.
So I have no sadness of a dream loss. Only sadness that the world creates conditions for people to end up preying on others. Which is way off topic.

And I will be very interested to know what the figures show, once you find out -thank you for that. It certainly seems from posts here that this route has more trouble than others. But yes...anecdotes are just that.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mario,
Thank you for the message. It's good to hear your reflection. While this news is scary, it is also an opportunity to remember to be aware of my surroundings and try to be as safe as I can.

I will make every effort to avoid being another #metoo. I actually took a women's self defense class about a month ago. This was in preparation for my Camino. It had very useful information. I'm a gentle sort of person, but I trust that if I find myself in harm's way, the aggressor when learn they have picked the wrong gal.

It's sad and unfortunate that these events have happened. I do hope the police and protection authorities are taking action...pre-action.

All the best,
Ruth

Hi Truthi.
Very true, we should be prepare for the caminho.
This kind of incidents can happen in the next corner of your home.
You never know...
Wish you a bom caminho
Mario

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, indeed, these things happen everywhere. We all know about incidents that happen in our own cities and towns. There have been many past threads reporting similar incidents in Spain.

I have no hesitation in starting my walk, solo, in Portugal this October.

I don't know why @filly's information is doubted and statistics about what "we in Europe" have supposedly found are besides the point, in my most humble opinion. Things do happen in Santarem, for example this very Saturday morning: https://omirante.pt/sociedade/2018-09-16-Detidos-dois-suspeitos-de-violacao-em-Santarem

The article is google translated below.
I note that it does mention the 70 year old woman. That matches the OP's original report.

"In one case the situation has already occurred a few days ago and the most recent happened on the morning of this Saturday, September 15th.
Two men, aged 23 and 30, were identified for attempting to rape two women in Santarém. In one case the situation occurred a few days ago and the most recent happened the morning of this Saturday, September 15, to a 71-year-old victim. PSP began investigations that had some limitations given that one of the alleged victims could not identify the suspects.

Meanwhile, the Judiciary Police was alerted that it has also begun investigating the case, having arrested the two suspects, who will be present at the Court of Santarém for first interrogation this Monday, September 17."

Last edited:
So they are behind bars at least for 48 hours. And hopefully longer!
Go, peregrinas, go!!!

As already mentioned, I informed the Tourism State Office about this incident.
I was informed today that my information by email on the incident was sent to the Ministry Internal Affairs.
It is thus, to be treated at the highest level of the Portuguese authorities.
I hope this issue is resolved once and for all.

Attached the reply from Tourism State Office:

Caro Mário Garcias, muito bom dia.

Agradeço o envio do seu email e peço-lhe que sempre que se verifiquem situações semelhantes nos sejam devidamente reportadas.

Informo-o que o seu email seguiu para o ministério da Administração Interna e que serão tomadas as devidas diligências que evitem situações semelhantes.

Muito obrigada
Inês Queiroz
Assessora

Gabinete da Secretária de Estado do Turismo
Rua da Horta Sêca, nº 15
1200-221 Lisboa, PORTUGAL
TEL +351 21 324 54 11/79 FAX +351 21 324 54 20

Ines.queiroz@mecon.gov.pt
www.portugal.gov.pt

As already mentioned, I informed the Tourism State Office about this incident.
I was informed today that my information by email on the incident was sent to the Ministry Internal Affairs.
It is thus, to be treated at the highest level of the Portuguese authorities.
I hope this issue is resolved once and for all.

Attached the reply from Tourism State Office:

Caro Mário Garcias, muito bom dia.

Agradeço o envio do seu email e peço-lhe que sempre que se verifiquem situações semelhantes nos sejam devidamente reportadas.

Informo-o que o seu email seguiu para o ministério da Administração Interna e que serão tomadas as devidas diligências que evitem situações semelhantes.

Muito obrigada
Inês Queiroz
Assessora

Gabinete da Secretária de Estado do Turismo
Rua da Horta Sêca, nº 15
1200-221 Lisboa, PORTUGAL
TEL +351 21 324 54 11/79 FAX +351 21 324 54 20

Ines.queiroz@mecon.gov.pt
www.portugal.gov.pt
Muito Obrigada Mario. You are amazing:)

By the way @filly how is your friend doing? I hope she know we are all walking with her:) Even from my living room sofa, mentally I’m on the Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But the bottom line on this is REPORT TO THE LOCAL POLICE that is the only way that we all can help you and take measures to avoid further issues. Please do not join the silence.
REPORT, REPORT AND REPORT.
THAT IS THE WAY!
Bom Caminho
Mario

Hello Mario,
What is the latest news about the incident?
Thank you,
Ruth

in June 2018 I walked from Santarem to Coimbra alone. I was fine and never felt threatened by anything other than a couple of dogs. I am originally from Chicago where it is not safe. I realize violence and robberies can happen anywhere and at any time. I live in Portugal and I feel very safe walking and out late.

I will walk the route from Porto to SDC in October alone and I have no hesitations! I encourage you to visit my beautiful country!

They are free.
Police is trying to collect more evidences to take them to court.

https://omirante.pt/sociedade/2018-...ante-e-turista-em-Santarem-estao-em-liberdade
Hi JCLima.
I was expect to have news from the Tourism State Office but no news so far.
Will contact them again to be update about the issue
But to you all, I have included in my post the email of the Tourism State Office.
Please feel free to contact her (Ines.queiroz@mecon.gov.pt ) as much of us will do so, better the result.
I have open the door, please fell free to come in and demand. Just do it ;)

Yes, thank you for the updates. This was a big scare, but aside from this, it has felt very safe of my trip. Thank you very much for caring and keeping us up to date.
Ruth

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my honest opinion the index @TheSparrow put on the " table " is irrelevant here.
We talk about an attack happend in Portugal and not about the USA ( or what ever country ) and on what place they are in the index .
Sorry but this is my opinion.
And yes I know bad things can happen on the Camino .
I'am a bit emotional at the moment my thoughts going all over, thinking about my healing proces and bringing the shells away to the memory tree for Denise.

Wish you all the best and take care , Peter .

In my honest opinion the index @TheSparrow put on the " table " is irrelevant here.
We talk about an attack happend in Portugal and not about the USA ( or what ever country ) and on what place they are in the index .
Sorry but this is my opinion.
And yes I know bad things can happen on the Camino .
I'am a bit emotional at the moment my thoughts going all over, thinking about my healing proces and bringing the shells away to the memory tree for Denise.

Wish you all the best and take care , Peter .
Wish you the best Peter ...whatever it is that ails you know we your camino family stand beside you

I'm so very sorry to hear this. I hope your friend recovers quickly mentally. The effects of such things are individualistic, so whatever she decides to do is what's best for her (i.e., continue her Camino or not).

I no longer post on social media (and wouldn't here, either) when I'm traveling alone. I'm not afraid, but being cautious cannot hurt.

Blessings to all -

~ Anna

I walk alone. This latest incident has clarified in my mind that I shall not be walking a camino in Portugal.

Portugal is a very safe country, do not let this keep you from walking in an amazing place. Bad things happen to good people everywhere in the world. Be vigilant, assess those around you and if possible connect with others. I have walked from Santarem to Coimbra, most of it alone and had no problems. I also walked in October from Porto to Vigo again with no issues. Buen Camino!

Portugal is a very safe country, do not let this keep you from walking in an amazing place. Bad things happen to good people everywhere in the world. Be vigilant, assess those around you and if possible connect with others. I have walked from Santarem to Coimbra, most of it alone and had no problems. I also walked in October from Porto to Vigo again with no issues. Buen Camino!
@ Diane55
I wish to clarify my post, which has been interpreted to mean either that I walk alone because I cannot find anyone to walk with or that I choose not to walk camino routes in Portugal because I am afraid. I walk alone by choice, although I sometimes enjoy the company of others in albergues and bars. At present, I choose to avoid walking in Portugal because the behaviour of those men who choose to expose themselves to women walking alone there disgusts me. This seems relatively common on Portugese routes and is something that I prefer to avoid. And of course reports of assaults on women walking alone make this issue even more critical.

Last edited:
any news on the possible prosecution of the two suspects arrested in connection with the attack of the friend of @filly on September 15, 2018?

Apparently you do not need a Spanish sim card in your phone to call 112, the emergency number in Spain. Just dial 112 and you will get the help you need.

An update.... Two suspects have been apprehended. My friend has been notified by official letter (in Portuguese) and it appears she may need to return as a witness at the trial.

Thank you for all the messages of support which were passed on.

An update.... Two suspects have been apprehended. My friend has been notified by official letter (in Portuguese) and it appears she may need to return as a witness at the trial.

Thank you for all the messages of support which were passed on.
Those are the same two that were apprehended in September, right?

€60,-

Muchos Gracias for this excellent information!

For those reading this thread for the first time....please check the date on the original post (September 2018) and the posts following the original. This is not a new thead but has been recent ly updated. Most of the information and advice is still timely but the incident is not recent.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back