• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Audio: Martin Sheen —Spirituality of Imagination

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
a dear friend shared this interview w/ me - and I quite enjoy it. He shares about his journey - with Linda Tippett on "ON BEING" -
Great questions - and responses. A conversation ... no promo-chat.
Also features other interesting interviews... me thinks.
At minute 36 he starts speaking about the camino :)
Very best wishes,
Claudia
http://www.onbeing.org/program/martin-sheen-spirituality-of-imagination/8257#.VncKtY05mO4.mailto

Actor Martin Sheen as you've never heard him before. He has appeared in over 100 films, including Apocalypse Now. He’s best known on television as President Bartlet in seven seasons of The West Wing. But Martin Sheen, born and still legally named Ramón Estévez, has had another lesser-known life as a spiritual seeker and activist. He returned to a deep and joyful Catholic faith after a crisis at the height of his fame in in mid-life. He’s been arrested over 60 times in vigils and protests. "Piety is something you do alone," he says. "True freedom, spirituality, can only be achieved in community."

http://www.onbeing.org/program/martin-sheen-spirituality-of-imagination/8257/audio?embed=1

PS: if moderator feels that this posting is 'misplaced' aka not in the proper thread - feel free to re-arrange. Many thanks. C

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for posting this! Enjoyed the interview very much. Martin Sheen's "The Way" was responsible for my husband and my Camino. Have watched the movie nearly two dozen times (grandson always wants to watch "the hiking movie"). Very insightful interview.

Thanks for posting this! Enjoyed the interview very much. Martin Sheen's "The Way" was responsible for my husband and my Camino. Have watched the movie nearly two dozen times (grandson always wants to watch "the hiking movie"). Very insightful interview.
happy to hear that you enjoyed the interview. thank you for letting me know.

(btw: a few days ago i've read in a german paper that a very popular book about the camino is now being released over the holidays - in movie version - ("I am off then"). seen the trailer - and loved the scenery images. might be well worth watching even if one does not understand german. or hopefully they release the film w/ subtitles sometimes soon. i enjoyed the book)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for sharing.
He has a remarkable ability to articulate deep thoughts. I have heard him interviewed on Irish radio.
After the West Wing he spent time studying at University of Galway, Ireland. His mother is from
Borrisokane County Tipperary ( same county as me ). I understand he visits regularly.

Thank you for sharing this. I have missed this program ever since my local public radio station either dropped it or put it at some awful time.

I generally enjoy 'On Being', and did like this interview in particular. Mr. Sheen is thoughtful, articulate and definitely an inspiration.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looking forward to listening to it, thanks I wasn't aware of it.

Also I didn't know they made a movie of" im off then" I need to track that down too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.