• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Augh! Should be in SJPDP by April 2 - 3

Lulumom

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
Hello,

My husband and I are using military travel so there's no way to know the exact date we will arrive in France (or really, exactly where we will arrive) but (somehow) we expect to make it to the starting point by early April; we leave home (California) on the 29th.

I'm wondering if any others out there plan to start around the same time and also, from those in the know, what to expect in terms of early weather conditions. We have been looking at the weather forecast and I ended up ordering a few more pieces of cold-weather gear because some temps were below freezing but still feeling a little nervous about one bag of gear going from wintery temps to summery temps. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There was a lengthy thread not long ago, Confused about clothes in April, or something similar to that. I'd link to it, but don't know how..... But you can find it through the search if you weren't following at the time.

I know how you feel, though. I'll be walking mid-April to mid-May and keep eliminating, adding, eliminating, adding, ad infinitum. What if I'm cold? What if I'm hot? What if it's a deluge? What if there's relentless sun? :eek::eek:

Short answer, layers, layers, layers.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took leggings to wear under my zip-off pants, thin gloves and headband rather than a winter hat. The headband fit under my sun hat. I also took a really thin down jacket that I wore more for sitting outside than when I was walking.

Cold mornings I wore the leggings, and long pants, a long sleeve shirt with a thin fleece jacket and my rain jacket over top, with my hat headband and gloves. Some mornings it was around the freezing mark, but once the sun was up it would warm up a lot. Just make sure you don't get sweaty when its cold. Stop and take off layers. There are always stores along the way if you need extra clothing.

(Note that I was coming from Toronto where the weather had been well below freezing, so I found that when the weather got up to the mid 60's F I was dying from the heat!)

Hi I am retired AF so I am familiar with the hops but I refuse to hurry up and wait or deals with the sometimes unexpected complications of hops lol so I am flying to BCN on norwegian air, Cheap tickets great service. I will be in St jean 31 March to start 1 April. I am using a merino expedition pull over sweater (with hoodie) as a base layer for warmth over my quick dry long sleeve shirts and a northface rain(wind)jacket. I use running(exercise quick dry) pants with a liteweight base layer for warmth if needed. Also gortex surround (breathable) boots which work for me in terms of support for my knees/ankles

I live in Florida but I never walk in shorts or short sleeve T-shirt’s..due to mosquitos and possible sunburn so long pants as used by runners and long sleeve exercise wear works for me. I also have rain pants made by Columbia i think bought at walmart $20. Sun hat and buff and gloves. Decided against the down liner , although lighter, once it is wet it looses its warmth . I agree with @CdnDreamer with dressing in layers..you dont want to be sweaty in cold weather. Been cold weather a lot and this is sensible advise .
This is My first camino and I have read lots of advise here I decided to be sensible yet prepared and still keep my pack wight down ...10kg when weighed sounds like at lot at first but unfortunately I have to carry some medical items for my troubled knees.

I’ve have been following Stephen Jones from Ireland videos on YouTube as he is currently on the trail to see what the weather is now like as thought the eyes of someone on the camino in real time
also Efren’s videos
are great too, he does a daily account along with costs. Hope this helps

Buen Camino

Wow! Thanks for the links and the great suggestions! I'm excited to check out Stephen Jones on youtube tonight. The advice about not sweating in the cold is also great; I will be sure to remember that.

It's hovering around freezing here in Redding, CA today and POURING rain. Just going out in this weather to run a few errands made me realize that I need to focus on not being miserable in cold or wet weather. Also, surely things will not dry as fast when it's cold and damp. I decided to put one more long sleeve shirt in my bag and ordered a wool Buff-like thing that should provide extra warmth, if needed. I am toying with the idea of investing in Smartwool leggings as they might also make for good sleepwear.

Anyway, thanks again!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow! Thanks for the links and the great suggestions! I'm excited to check out Stephen Jones on youtube tonight. The advice about not sweating in the cold is also great; I will be sure to remember that.

It's hovering around freezing here in Redding, CA today and POURING rain. Just going out in this weather to run a few errands made me realize that I need to focus on not being miserable in cold or wet weather. Also, surely things will not dry as fast when it's cold and damp. I decided to put one more long sleeve shirt in my bag and ordered a wool Buff-like thing that should provide extra warmth, if needed. I am toying with the idea of investing in Smartwool leggings as they might also make for good sleepwear.

Anyway, thanks again!
Hope you enjoyed the videos. I loved Efren’s it gave me a good idea on cost and daily life. Stephen’s gave me a good idea on weather and people.

A cold 31 F in west Florida today with frost but now sun is coming up hopefully will be warmer todards mid day. I agree things might take longer to dry so quick dry materials work best at least with some safety pins you can hang sock or shirts onto your pack to get dry as you walk. Good luck packing hope to see you on the camino.. weighed my pack and I’m At 10kg without water in the camelback so I keep tweaking it lol Hope to see you on el Camino Buen Camino

We have been looking at the weather forecast and I ended up ordering a few more pieces of cold-weather gear because some temps were below freezing but still feeling a little nervous about one bag of gear going from wintery temps to summery temps. Any suggestions?
Bring some old sweatshirts or similar. Also old wool socks to use as mittens. Get them secondhand if you don't have any handy. Use them in the Pyrenees if you need them and then throw them into the trash once in Pamplona.

Howdy,

We are leaving the US on the 28th, staying for a day day to unwind in SJPdP for a day and then heading out on the morning of the 29th, or so. Look for a big guy in orange along your way and say hi!

Mark

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey Kim,
Greeting from a fellow California Girl :)
I will be arriving around the same time as you it sounds like. I'm leaving March 30th and getting to SJPD on the 1st, walking the 2nd. I totally empathize with the confusion on how to pack because the weather has been so erratic. I echo some of the advice on here. I plan to layer. If you can find lightweight base layers, I would pack them. And if they can double as your post-walk "lounge" outfit then even better.

I initially was going to use my patagonia windbreaker/rain jacket, but with all the snowflakes popping up on my apple weather app throughout the camino, not to mention the days where the high is 28F, i've decided on a more insulating "shell" jacket that can withstand that type of weather.

I hope our paths cross,
Buen Camino,
Z

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back