• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August Babies (surely it's about time?!)

Minkey

OK... I'll be in SJPP in roughly 7 weeks and 4 days from now (not that I'm counting you understand)

Anyone else?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, Minkey, the sense of excitement is mounting for us too. We will be in Roncesvalles a few days after you, on the 24th.
I believe Sil will be starting a day or two prior to us.
And to think that I used to laugh at others obsessing about their packing lists. Now I am doing the exact same thing!

Buen Camino.

August babies

8 WEEKS TO GO!!
We leave on Tuesday 21st August for Spain - and will start walking on Thursday 23rd from Roncesvalles.
I will be walking on your footsteps guys!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will leave for Spain the 15th of August and arrive in SJPP around the 17th or 18th. Not sure yet on that date. Which makes me wonder about making reservations at Orisson or Huntto (I think those are the names if memory serves me :roll: )
I plan on 6 weeks of walking. Maybe I will need less. Will find out!!
What are your dates?
Lillian

Nearly 7 weeks away. I've been looking forward to it since... oooooh... about 7th September last year (when I was sat in a crumpled heap outside the Cathedral in Santiago!)

Seemed kinda odd to see new friends scattering on the last day... The solitary trip to the airport, sitting in subdued silence while waiting for my flight...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
August Babies

Yeee-haa! Only 23 more sleeps!!
I would love to meet some of you on the trail!
Minkey, Lillian, Kevin and Mrs Kevin - we will all be there around the same time. I will be walking short, slow stages this year so if you pass a short, grey haired, dawdling peregrina wearing bright, South African flag shorts -please say HOLA Sil!

Re: August Babies

sillydoll said:
Yeee-haa! Only 23 more sleeps!!
I would love to meet some of you on the trail!
Minkey, Lillian, Kevin and Mrs Kevin - we will all be there around the same time. Sil!

It looks as if Minkey and Lillian will both be leaving from SJPP around the 18th, so there is a good chance they will meet. I doubt that Peggy and I will catch them unless something "unforeseen" happens. But then our lives are often guided by the "unforeseen," so who knows?

Sil plans to leave from Roncesvalles only one day before us (our start date is 08/24). If her "slow, short stages" are a little shorter than ours, we may overtake her and I certainly hope we do since she has been both an inspiration to us and a source of incredibly valuable information.
It will be a highlight of our camino to meet her and talk with her, God willing.

Ultreya!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hurrah! Well... Erm... I'll try and keep and eye out, anyway.

RE: Booking into accommodation as you don't know when you're getting there... Not necessary I wouldn't think.

Decided to practise pack my brand spanking new rucksack over the weekend... I was alarmed at how much lighter it was and how much of a difference it made! I reckon total pack weight can't have been more than 4-5kgs!

Anyway... 19 days :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
August Babies

3 weeks tomorrow for me Minkey!! 21 more sleeps.
Had a good hike up and down some rolling hills yesterday with my backpack and it felt great.
My best camino friend is a digital kitchen scale that registers up to 5kg.
I weigh everything - and I mean everything. Its amazing how you can reduce your pack's weight by saving 50g here and 80g there - cutting the labels off your clothes (they'll only irritate you anyway) choosing a pair of shorts or a shirt that weighs a few grams less than another.
I'm not as light as you Minkey but my fully packed pack now weighs just over 5kg - and I have everything in it for a 36 day pilgrimage including a 350ml bottle of water.
Abrazos,

Flippin' eck!

I'm not that weight conscious!!! I've not added headtorch and all those little bits, but still... It's light!

19 days for me! I'm planning on doing it in 30ish days, so may even see you in Santiago...?

August Babies

We only arrive in Santiago on 28th September.
If we don't meet up along the way - leave a message for me under a stone pile!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi all, my partner and leave our home town today and fly out from London tomorrow morning. We begin our Camino on 2nd from Leon. I can’t believe that after all the planning, packing, practicing and a few blisters that we are finally ready to go. We are so EXCITED! Hopefully we may see some of you there! :D Shell

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Erm... I've got an orange Osprey backpack with a shell on it... That's as far as I've got!

Oh... and I look like my pic!

August Babies

I have got the Forum Button Badge pinned onto my backpack.
Oh - and you could look out for a short, grey-haired pilgrim with bright South African shorts on and a bright pumpkin coloured backapck with a South African flag fluttering from the back!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah... Going undercover, eh?!?!

I was gonna get the button badge but it seems VERY expensive just to get one badge sent over from the States.

I've got a sew on badge from CSJ so I might (if I can persuade my sister) have that on my pack.

August Babies

Undercover!!! :lol:
I have glued three cloth badges to my backpack using contact glue. The CSJ UK badge, a CSJ of South Africa badge and a Camino Frances badge.
Pinned onto the back strap is the Forum Badge. Secured into one of the tie-backs is a South African Flag.
Hope we bump into each other Minkey!

We arrive in Roncesvalles 3 weeks from today and begin our camino (at least the walking part!) the following morning (24th).

We will be sporting badges from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. The badges look like the emblem on this site, but with a greenish background:

http://www.santiago.ca/newsletter.html

We are suffering a bit from pre-camino jitters but overall we are happy and excited!

I participated in a sprint triathlon last Saturday, just to put the focus elsewhere for a while, and that has helped my conditioning in a cross-training sort of way ( I think I'm tending to be obsessive-compulsive).

We depart from Halifax in 19 days, landing in Paris and making our way to Roncesvalles the following day. The "start" is looming, and that is tending to concentrate the mind wonderfully! We'll be keeping an eye out for Sil, Minkey and others when we are not gawking, treating our feet, and trying to "walk in a relaxed manner."

Buen Camino to all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pil*GRIN*age

To all the August *babies *Have a good One*

I can just see NB Kevin multi-tasking now as he tries to "walk in a relaxed manner" whilst spoting an South African Flag up ahead. Your enthuiasm (and others) draws me to buying my boots/shoes and wearing them in for starters. If I at least set a date, motivations towards logging off the computer and starting fitness training will take over :wink:

Your start is looming:NBKevin,Sil,Minkey,shell,Lillian:eek:thers: -
Time to put the :D pil*GRIN*age in pil*grim*age.

lillypond.
*Perculiar Travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.

I may have to become one of those pebble/stone artists!

There seemed to be lots of "animo!" ones... Perhaps I can branch out!

Buen Camino August Babies

Buen Camino August Babies. (If I have left anyone out, the prayer is for you too!)

Shell who left on 2nd August from Leon
Minkey on 16th August
Mermaid Lil on the 18th
Sil on the 23rd August
Kevin on the 24th August

In the 6th C St Gildas walked from Canterbury to Rome. This was his pilgrimage prayer.

In health may I and all of my companions
Safely arrive with no harm or injury –
May my boat be safe in the waves of the ocean,
My horses safe on the highways of the earth,
Our money safe as we carry it with us
To pay due heed to our poor necessities.
May our enemies fail to do harm to us,
However evil the counsels which inspire them,
In the eternal name of Christ our Master,
May my roads all lie plain before me,
Whether I climb the rugged heights of mountains,
Or descend the hollow depths of valleys,
Or trudge the lengthy roads on open country,
Or struggle through the thickets of dense forest:
May I walk always in straight ways and shining
To longed-for places . . .”

516 – 570

Big pilgrim hugs,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sil,
Thanks for the lovely prayer.

We are getting so focused this week it's great, almost as if we are there now. We just came in from a five hour walk over hilly terrain with our friend Bruce, who walked the Via de la Plata in April and early May. We feel ready!

(Still lots of last minute details, but we feel confident).

Good luck, God speed, and Buen Camino to los bambinos Augostos!
See you on the way.

Sil,
Thanks for the lovely prayer.

We are getting so focused this week it's great, almost as if we are there now. We just came in from a five hour walk over hilly terrain with our friend Bruce, who walked the Via de la Plata in April and early May. We feel ready!

(Still lots of last minute details, but we feel confident).

Good luck, God speed, and Buen Camino to los bambinos Agostos!
See you on the way.

Thank You for encouraging words. I leave Tallahassee tomorrow morning,drive 2 and a half hours to Jacksonville. Take a plane in the afternoon and it goes to Chicago, then London and then Madrid. PHEW!! How do you think I will be as I leave for my walk?? Nah, you don't have to answer that. I'll be just fine. :wink:
Hope to meet some fellow forum pilgrims.
Blue backpack orange hat :roll:
That's me
With Love
Lillian
Who bought a pair of pants 1 size smaller :D so it will fit when I'm done!

€149,-
Cheers Sil!

I'm leaving SJPdP on the 19th but will arrive on the 18th...

If the weather's good I'll be wearing a two tone red fleece, an orange Osprey Talon 33 pack that I don't think clashes with the top (!) and a black North Face cap!

Hola!

Just got to do a couple more hours of work, then I'm off to Stansted airport to stay over night in a hotel, before my 0745 flight to Biarritz tomorrow morning... Starting to get a bit (a lot) twitchy/nervous/scared as I always seem to... I'll be happier when I'm in SJPdP I think...

Anyway... Buen Camino, peregrinos! May your journeys be fruitful :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well hello... I left home on the 15th and I got delayed in Chicago and lost my flight from London to Madrid. Got onto another airline but my baggage did not. As a result I am still in Madrid waiting for my luggage. If I get it tomorrow I still would not be able to get to SJPP so would have to leave the next day. So the lesson is, do not check in your baggage. I saw a pilgrim get off her plane with her walking sticks in hand. So the idea that you cannot put your whole backpack in the plane is not always true. Maybe it depends on the airline person at that time. Try to not check in your baggage if you are pressed for time with the Camino. There was another pilgrim from S Africa at the airport whose whole backpack was missing and was now in Madrid for 3 days. He was heartbroken as it took him 2 years to save up for this trip and is now spending it staying in Madrid. At least I have a place to stay with family here.
I hope to be leaving Madrid soon for my Camino.
Lillian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Backpacks and walking poles

Oh dear Lillian - what a disappointment for you - and the South African pilgrim.
The CSJ of SA always recommends that pilgrims take their backpack into the cabin and send their 'weapons of mass destruction" (sticks, cutlery, scissors, nail clippers etc) into the hold in a box. This way one can still start their camino as the boxed items are easy to replace if lost in transit.
One must ensure that the weight and, more importantly, the dimensions of the backpack conform to airway regulations. If they say the pack must be 55cm high, 35cm across and 25cm wide, stick to that even if you have to strap or duct tape the bag into those proportions.
I have never had a problem taking my backpack into the cabin.
I do hope your bag is found soon so that you can start your walk.

Isn't it ironic, that the big stuff gets handcarried while the check-in baggage is only a few grams of 'weapons of mass destruction'!

I once was forced by an airline to check-in the electrical wire for my laptop, and only that item. They probably thought I was going to strangle somebody in the plane. ;-)

Mark

Lost baggage ... this can be traumatic as we lost our walking sticks and other small things not allowed as handcarry on a flight from Rome to Santander. These sticks were never found but we carried the essentials with us on board as hand baggage. It delayed us two days but we had time to enjoy Santander, the cost of the enforced stay could have bought us all the sticks we would ever need.

Moral:
1. Carry all "essential" with you. Limit weight and size as Spain is a first world country and everything really needed can be easily bought at reasonable cost.
2. It may have taken years to plan the Camino, do allow rest days and prepare for missed connections.
3. Travel Insurance!!

Grandpa Joe[/quote]

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It has been a busy time, much time has benn spent for planning and shopping as a first time "Camino"-walker but now it will happen! I arrive August 26 to SJPP, stay there 1 day and start August 28. I cannot understand that it is not an imagination anymore, it is really true that it is just 8 more days!

Christer (Swede)
PS. I have an arctic fox on my backpack

August Pilgrim

Hola,
With a name like that you should have a white lion on your backpack!
If you are a fast walker you will pass us somewhere along the trail. Look out for three peregrinas - each with a South African flag fluttering from their backpacks. (Two packs are orange).
Ultreya!

Oh, I look forward to see you! But the chances are small I think.
I will look out for you but I am not so young (52) and I am not an experienced walker (first time serious walking for me) . I have tried to compensate this a little, have trained a month now with a 12-13 kg backpack with waterbottles. But I know it will be quiet different to walk 6-8 h per day instead of my 2h training but it is better than nothing!

Christer
PS. Nice that you know the origin of my alias name! I read a fascinating book about the "White lions in Timbavati" and since then I have had the name in my head.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
August pilgrim

Hola,
You just might catch up with us - of the three peregrinas I am the baby at at 60 years young.
Try to get your pack weight down a kg or two. You really don't need to carry 12-13kg. I know its hard to let go of things you think you might need so if you arrive with an overweight backpack and find the going tough, remember that you can post stuff ahead to yourself to Santiago.
Buen camino

The weather is frightful!!

I received my baggage in Madrid finally and went to SJPP, which had been very sunny until I arrived. SJPP is lovely. I left the next morning and got to Orisson, with a nice climb. I was very out of breath, but made it just fine. Had such a nice time with all the people at the refuge and the food was incredible. THis morning I headed to Roncesvalles and had the toughest day of my life. It rained very hard , the temp was low and the wind was ferocious. It was all uphill and a bit hard for my first day. I was soaked through and through and started shivering violently. Even my backpack got soaked even though I had a cover for it. I had about 1 hour to finish when some people saw me and got their friend to take me to Roncesvalles in a car. I was almost finished, but understood what shape I was in and they talked me into it. I am bummed I could not do the (of course) downhill part to town, but I will come back next year to do it. I will watch the weather report though and refuse to cross if those same conditions are present. My recommendation? Do it. It´s beautiful. Just watch the weather.
With Love
Lillian

€83,-
With the weather as it has been and the terrain I have gone over, I owuld like to remind everyone how great double poles are. They have saved me from many falls.
LilliN

Re: August pilgrim

It's been a great pleasure, really.

Yesterday I was walking with any spanish pilgrim friends (Pamplona - Puente la Reina - Estella) and I could find this three nice babies from South Africa just arriving in Mañeru, the first town after Puente la Reina.

Sil was enjoying her Camino. As I knew later they slept in Lorca.

Sil, have a buen Camino.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back