• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August Camino Famous Bed Race Questions >>

caminomarie-o

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2018
Hey guys!

I'm going to be walking August 2018 - me and one friend. We may be staying in public Alberques, but we may be staying in ALL private ones instead (depending on our decision). Since August is SO busy, I'm worried about not finding a place to sleep. Especially because I am just bringing a liner, but a sleeping bag. Any comments on this would be appreciated but: we will probably be hiking from 6:00/6:30am until 2pm. Any tips of what time to start and when to end?
Do you suggest calling a day ahead everyday to book a private hostel (since you cannot for public)?
How much of a concern is this during August?

*Also what is it like when you arrive at the Alberques? What do you do all day from 2pm until bed at 10pm?

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you stop at 2 p.m. before the heat of the day, you will not have a problem. The waiting lines may get all the lower bunks! Stopping at 2 p.m. in the non-end stage places will get you a lower bunk...

The strategy of stopping early and avoiding the guidebooks stops (in general) will allow you to walk without reservations (some sort of pun in that word). Many guidebook stops have so many beds that even stopping later will result only in a top bunk in an albergue that may have not been your first choice. The biggest advantage of a reservation where they take them (and not all private albergues take them) is that you do not have to wander town looking for the open bed.

Never had a problem finding a bed early last August on the first half of the Frances. You might want to book a bunk at Roncesvalles if you think you'll make a late arrival. I always tried to walk so that if the albergues in a small town were full, there was always another town less than an hour's walk further down the trail. Never had to do the extra hour.
2pm is a good time to aim for as due to Spain being in the wrong time zone, it is when midday is. As for starting at 6am...it will still be quite dark so you might want to take terrain into account when deciding when to start.
What do yo do when you get there at 2pm? Find your bunk, wash yourself, wash your clothes, dry your clothes, have a siesta, pack your bag ready for the next day, tend to your feet, have a drink or three, eat, take a stroll around the town if there is one, that sort of thing. Take in your surroundings and enjoy. My top tip: never, ever, ever stay in a big room albergue.

Has anyone noticed how "albergue" gets underlined as a misspelling when composing a message? Alanis Morissette never mentioned that in her song.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In August, I would start out at 6am too. In May/June, we usually started around 7 or 8, but August is hotter and the sun can be brutal, so I think the early start is warranted - do more of your walking early in the day when it's is more comfortable.

What do you do all day from 2pm until bed at 10pm?

That is one very good reason that I have a long lunch (my main meal of the day) from about 2pm until about 4pm . . . and then I walk for another hour or two or three. I am bored out of my head if I have to sit around all afternoon in a small village. It’s different if you are in an interesting town that you can explore in the afternoon.
Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is one very good reason that I have a long lunch (my main meal of the day) from about 2pm until about 4pm . . . and then I walk for another hour or two or three. I am bored out of my head if I have to sit around all afternoon in a small village. It’s different if you are in an interesting town that you can explore in the afternoon.
Jill
You've got a point there. I arrived in Portomarin at about 1:00pm. Not much to do or see thereafter except meditation....

You've got a point there. I arrived in Portomarin at about 1:00pm. Not much to do or see thereafter except meditation....
In Portomarin in August there's always the open air swimming pool, perfect for a post walk dip.

Gosh, I must have missed that, pacing up and down that main street. Unless you're referring to the lake...(!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gosh, I must have missed that, pacing up and down that main street. Unless you're referring to the lake...(!)
No, I wouldn't swim in that lake, it looks a bit uninviting. The pool is up the steps, just after the bridge to the right.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back