• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August from Ourense with children

pvh

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015 hopefully
Hello,
We are intending to walk a "taster" Camino at the end of August this year, myself, wife and 12 and 10 year old children, with the intention of doing the Camino Frances from St Jpdp next summer. We were thinking about the Frances from Sarria but having read about how busy that stretch will be in late August, we wondered about a quieter route.
So my question is: for those experienced on the VdlP, how suitable might the route from Ourense be for us during this period? Is the terrain much harder going than the CF, are there reasonably frequent refreshment/accommodation stops (we're happy to take pensions or casas rurales if necessary), will there be less pressure on accommodation, but also will there be some other pilgrims for company and interest?

Many thanks as ever for any insights,

Peter

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have just finished walking from Sarria with two boys 11 and 8 and they did well although the afternoons were hot. There is a steep climb from Ourense. Otherwise not too bad.
Personally I think the Sarria section would be more interesting for kids. Lots of animals. Busy and hot but many friendly pilgrims. Need to start early though. In Santiago now and temp was 32 last night at 8pm.

Many thanks for the quick reply Camino07, can I ask how many days you took, did you walk any 23 or 24 km stages, if so how did your young ones cope?

Again many thanks in advance,

Pvh

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there Peter

we walked the VdlP in 2011. From Ourense it is quite cold and hilly but there is plenty of space. How old are your children? I have written an ebook and it's on special for 99p 0r 99c this week but its not a guidebook. The walk from Ourense is very beautiful and you have the chance of staying in the monastery. Abergues will be quiet. In Orense itself you have the free thermal pools in the river and a very cheap toy train along to them. The climb out is steep

Hi,
The route from Ourense is wild and wonderful. I would recommend staying at the monastery at Oseira. If you want a taster of This portion of the route check out my blog and video at
www.dartmoorwalker.blogspot.co.uk

I walked the route in June this year and found it very quiet although the distances between hostels can b a little longer than on the CF

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back