• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August on Le Puy?

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
A friend has mentioned Le Puy starting in August or September. What would temperatures be like in those months?
And what's the best guide book for this route?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the miam miam dodo books are excellent. Even if you don’t read french, get someone to translate all the icons and use the detailed maps. There are two to cover the whole route from Le Puy to SJPDP. They may look expensive but they are updated every year. Available from le vieux crayon http://www.levieuxcrayon.com/ or https://www.csj.org.uk/

Hope your friend (and you?) enjoy it

In 2009 I started from Le Puy 15.08. The paths were dry and easywalking, warm sunny weather until the last two days in France, when there was some rain. Arrived in Roncesvalles 19.09 and in Santiago 20.10.
I have some years later walked from Le Puy in early May. (2013) A very cold spring, wet and muddy paths made me choose the roads for some parts of the route. But weather differs, so you can never tell.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree that the miam dodo is the best . I’ve tried that + the Cicerone guide in English and the yellow German Outdoor guide and different maps as well. The first one is best for accomodation++, you really do not need a map, the route is well marked and had become better since my first walk.

Weather varies, but it was very hot in 2016 when we walked it in late July and August. I second the comments about the Miam Miam Dodo app, iMiam, which was outstanding. Be sure you get the latest version as the gites information changes from year to year.

the miam miam dodo books are excellent. Even if you don’t read french, get someone to translate all the icons and use the detailed maps. There are two to cover the whole route from Le Puy to SJPDP. They may look expensive but they are updated every year. Available from le vieux crayon http://www.levieuxcrayon.com/ or https://www.csj.org.uk/

Hope your friend (and you?) enjoy it
I walked the Route in 2014 with just the small Michelin Guide. At the Pilgrim Office in Paris when we got our Credentials the woman there suggested we buy the Dodo books. I should have listened to her. I didn't buy it because I don't know French at all. I looked at the guide more closely when I was almost at St. Jean. A French pilgrim had it and showed it to me. I realized we could have figured out everything we really needed. The Michelin Guide was very inadequate. Had some days where it was tough to find a Site and lots of times we saw villages in the guide and thought, oh we can stop there for lunch or a break and there would be nothing but a few homes and farms around the village.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A friend has mentioned Le Puy starting in August or September. What would temperatures be like in those months?
And what's the best guide book for this route?
I started the first week of September in 2014. Had a few hot days but nothing that was unbearable. It is a great Camino even though I can't speak a word of French. Had some problems but nothing insurmountable, except when I took a wrong turn and ended up walking about 38k that day!! But was rewarded with a great Gite and another memorable dinner. In my opinion the food, bread, cheeses and wine and dinners in the Gites in France and blows Spain away. No knock on Spain or communal meals etc. but it is just a different ball of wax. Back to the weather. You never ever know what it will be like. I had just a little rain and never too intense. Had some hot days but it was always cool and pleasant at night. When we got to the Meseta that year we had intense rain for days and high winds as well as that memorable day walking up to O Cebreiro where we had rain, wind, snow, sleet and hail all the way up the hill. It was loads of fun. Then barely a drop the rest of Galicia. You never know, you know!

We started the third week in September of 2013. Walked until the first week of October and had to quit due to a somewhat severe injury to my wife. In October some gîtes and hotels are starting to close, so you need to do some advance planning/calling to arrange your lodging.

It's a very beautiful hike and my wife and I returned to France to finish it (although we did it in two week segments over the course of several years).

Hi, I started the middle of August last year. The weather was very pleasant with only a couple of hot days mostly around 25 degrees. It only rained a sprinkle of one hour the entire time from Le Puy to Pamplona. I found it much cooler than walking the Camino Frances the previous year. I used the Michelin guide and simply went to the tourist office to book accommodation. They would ring for me and spoke English and had copies of Miam Dodo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back